Final Three Showdown: Registration Friday! Comments Welcome!

[name]Anna[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] is great! I can really imagine it with a short last name. Very pretty!

I like [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Laura[/name].

Thank you! We are considering [name]Anna[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]. As I said, our last name is one syllable, very short and strong sounding. [name]Anna[/name]-[name]Sophia[/name] balances nicely off of it, but I am worried that double names turn people off, or that [name]Anna[/name]-[name]Sophia[/name] sounds a bit more Italian or [name]German[/name] than we actually are, LOL!

Right now, it is a showdown between:

[name]Anna[/name]-[name]Sophia[/name] [name]Hunt[/name]
Geneveive [name]Hunt[/name]
[name]Laura[/name] [name]Hunt[/name]

[name]Anna[/name]-[name]Sophia[/name] sounds too Italian to me if you’re not Italian; it’s not my favorite.

I don’t think there’s a natural [name]Genevieve[/name] / [name]Jennifer[/name] connection; if you wanted to honor a [name]Jennifer[/name] with [name]Genevieve[/name], you could talk me into it, but since you don’t I don’t think there’s a problem.

I am a big fan of [name]Laura[/name] [name]Hunt[/name]. It’s a very strong, classic name – sounds like a successful person to me.

If you really like the [name]Anna[/name]-[name]Sophia[/name] combination, I would at least lose an “a” at the end of one of the names – [name]Anne[/name]-[name]Sophie[/name], [name]Anna[/name]-[name]Sophie[/name], or [name]Anne[/name]-[name]Sophia[/name].

I voted [name]Laura[/name] - classic, timeless, feminine-but-not-frilly and I think fits with a lot of other beautiful names in case there are more children to come. Although it is not long, I think it is strong enough to balance out the blunt last name.

Thank you! Yes, our surname has been a real challenge. While it’s short and strong, it’s not a very nice sounding word. Thanks for your feedback! I’m surprised [name]Laura[/name] is holding her own against the frillier [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name].

You have a lot of feedback already, but just to add my two cents:

[name]Genevieve[/name] gets my vote! I love the nn [name]Vivi[/name], or Vee, as well, plus it has the best flow with your last name

I love [name]Laura[/name] too, but [name]Laura[/name] [name]Hunt[/name] is a little more plain compared with [name]Genevieve[/name], still lovely though

[name]Anna[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]: would she go by [name]Anna[/name]? or [name]Anna[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]? If I heard of an [name]Anna[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] I would think that the parents loved [name]Sophia[/name] but thought it was too popular so tacked on an [name]Anna[/name] . . . but if you will just call her [name]Anna[/name] then this is very nice, but I still prefer [name]Genevieve[/name]

Yes, [name]Laura[/name] [name]Hunt[/name] is a bit plain, which is holding me back. But I wonder if plain is serviceable? Hmmm.

[name]Anna[/name]-[name]Sophia[/name] is a contender exactly for the reasons you mentioned! [name]Sophia[/name] is too popular! Thanks for your feedback, I do appreciate it!

BTW, [name]Maj[/name], you give great advice! I really have considered your comments from this and previous posts.

Our daughter is [name]Laura[/name] with a one syllable last name – ideally, I would have liked to do a three syllable first name, but we could not find one I loved.

I actually like all of your choices, but picked [name]Laura[/name] as the sentimental favorite. I prefer [name]Anna[/name] (fn) [name]Sophia[/name] (mn) to [name]Anna[/name]-[name]Sophia[/name]. [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]King[/name] probably flows the best, but it definitely has the risk of her being called [name]Gen[/name].

Good luck! You can’t go wrong.

I really like [name]Anna[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]! It feels musical and sweet to me. Are you familiar with the actress ‘AnnaSophia [name]Robb[/name]’? (She’s been in: ‘Because of [name]Winn[/name] [name]Dixie[/name]’, ‘[name]Bridge[/name] to Terebithia’, and ‘[name]Race[/name] to Witch Mountain’.) She is adorable and I really love her name. [name]Anna[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] really seems to work well with a short, one syllable last name. ‘[name]Anna[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Hunt[/name]’ is very beautiful.

[name]Laura[/name] feels a little short compared to your other options, like it’s missing something. I’m just not liking it as well.

[name]Genevieve[/name] feels very French to me for some reason. If you live in Europe, there might be pronounciation issues. Most people in the US will pronounce it ‘[name]Jen[/name]-eh-veev’ or ‘[name]Jen[/name]-ee-veev’. I don’t know what the French pronounciation is, but I do know that it is very different. There is also the likelyhood of it getting shortened to ‘[name]Jen[/name]’ (at least in the US) and if you’re not wanting to honor a [name]Jennifer[/name], then you might not want to use it.

Of course, you should really go with what you love and choose whichever name feels right to you.

Good [name]Luck[/name]! :slight_smile:

I vote for [name]Genevieve[/name]! [name]Laura[/name] [name]Hunt[/name] is, as you say, ‘serviceable.’ If simplicity and ease are really the most important considerations, then [name]Laura[/name] may be the way to go. But I just think [name]Genevieve[/name] has bit more interest and personality. To me, it is as beautiful and feminine as [name]Anna[/name] [name]Sophia[/name], but less frilly and more down-to-earth.

I hear what you’re saying about the two different pronunciations getting annoying, but maybe that isn’t such a bad thing. It means that the name is accessible and familiar to everyone in your area, regardless of language. [name]Just[/name] a thought!

Thank you for your comments, your comment on the French/English divide is very interesting. We live in a split French / English community. Services have to be available in both, so French is heard every day, is on every street sign, box of cereal, taught in schools etc! So while we aren’t French, our daughter was born in a bilingual city (in a French hospital, actually). I guess I could argue that [name]Genevieve[/name], with two different yet equally acceptable pronunciations, is historically in keeping with her birthplace!

[name]Genevieve[/name] is a charming name, one of my favourites, it has my vote.

[name]Even[/name] though you’ve already received a lot of feedback and I’m sure you’ve decided, I want to throw my two cents in :slight_smile:

[name]Genevieve[/name] is beeeaaauuuutiful! Classic and will never go out of style. Some could see it as fussy though. (Not me, for the record)

[name]Sophia[/name] is lovely but I have to chime in about the popularity aspect. Yes, it is a great name, but everyone in 1982 thought [name]Jennifer[/name] was the most wonderful name ever and I know about 73.

[name]Laura[/name] is way too old fashioned for me. Nothing significant or special about it compared to your other choices.

[name]Tabitha[/name]. Hmm…can’t decide on this. Not one of my faves. Someone mentioned the name [name]Tibby[/name]. Have you thought of [name]Matilda[/name] with the nickname [name]Tilly[/name]?

[name]Serafina[/name] is special but it is along the same lines as [name]Genevieve[/name] in my mind, and I prefer [name]Genevieve[/name].

Mairenn agreed on all of the spelling suggestions - and this may have been covered - but I went to school with a Mairin and I think that is my absolute favorite way to see it spelled!

My top pics are [name]Genevieve[/name] and Mairin. :smiley: xo

Definitely [name]Anna[/name] [name]Sophia[/name], so long as she actually goes by both names. Yes, that makes for a long name, but not really longer than, say, [name]Anastasia[/name].

[name]Hope[/name] all is well. What did you decide??

YOu prob already decided but just wanted to say that for me [name]Genevieve[/name] out shines all other and i like nickname [name]Gigi[/name] or [name]Neve[/name]. I know a [name]Genevieve[/name] (3 yrs old) and we do not use any nn on her.

Thank you for all of your votes! Because it is a long weekend, we have slightly postponed the registration of our baby girl. I am kind of stuck between [name]Sophia[/name] & [name]Genevieve[/name], but I think I may swing towards [name]Genevieve[/name]. Very difficult decision! Still welcome your thoughts!

[name]Hi[/name]! Congrats on your baby girl–for what it’s worth, I do understand feeling impressionable (I think you mentioned this somewhere above?). Anyway, [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name]. [name]Both[/name] are beautiful and feminine and would age well. [name]Sophia[/name], for me, has an airier, somewhat more ethereal and dreamy (perhaps all the vowels and soft consonants) quality. It is as serious and sophisticated as [name]Genevieve[/name] but less dressed up. [name]Genevieve[/name] is more structured and more perfumed. Of course, I am mother to a [name]Sophia[/name], so my image of the name is based at least partly on my [name]Sophia[/name] (age 4 1/2).

I know you are concerned about popularity. The other day at the child care place in the gym, there were two other Sophias signed in ahead of us (immediately before us, one after the other, so the Sophias were all in a stack)–out of a hefty # of children, of different ages. I can’t say I was thrilled about this scenario, but I wasn’t particularly bothered by it either. My [name]Sophia[/name] is my [name]Sophia[/name] and I still love her name. Anyway, that’s just me–I’d recommend asking yourself how much you’d be bothered and regretful if you named her [name]Sophia[/name] and encountered a similar situation. Would you feel more regretful if you didn’t name her [name]Sophia[/name]? Or do you think [name]Genevieve[/name]'s relative uncommonness (as well as its own particular charms) will make you feel prouder and more in love with the name? The thing about being impressionable is that peer pressure (whether it’s pressure to choose a popular name or to not choose a popular name) can make you turn from a name you love–but not choosing a popular name only because it’s popular can be as much an act of following the herd as choosing a popular name. [name]Just[/name] something to consider, perhaps.

I’m going on and on like this about [name]Sophia[/name] only because I remember your saying that it was your original choose and a hard one to part with. But really even if it may feel so right now, I don’t think this is life or death. I don’t happen to think that any name is perfect, so maybe you could give yourself permission to choose a name, whichever one it is, that you both love and doubt. Again, I think that both names are excellent, and I think that whichever you choose, it will be the one that suits your little girl.

Let us know what you decide!