Final two names for daughter - help please!

We are expecting our first child and my husband and I have narrowed down our name list to two girls names: [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

As you can probably guess we like simple, classic names that will never be considered too in or out of style. The last name is [name_m]German[/name_m] and on the longer side.

My sister is [name_f]Kathryn[/name_f] (goes by [name_f]Kate[/name_f]) so we are hoping to call our daughter by [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] in full if we pick that name - not sure if that will be fighting a losing battle? I love that [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is underused these days, but am slightly worried it will become very popular over the next few years.

Any input on which direction to go would be very much appreciated!

I’d use [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] over [name_f]Jane[/name_f], but be prepared for people/her friends to call her [name_f]Kat[/name_f] or [name_f]Kate[/name_f] or [name_f]Katie[/name_f] in school. If you want her to go by the full name, maybe consider [name_f]Katerina[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]? It still honors your sister, but [name_f]Katerina[/name_f] isn’t shortened as often as [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is.

I’d cross off [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] if you have a sister called [name_f]Kathryn[/name_f], as it’s almost definite that [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] will get [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and [name_f]Katie[/name_f] at school.

A lot of people consider [name_f]Jane[/name_f] plain (plain [name_f]Jane[/name_f]) but I think it’s ready for a comeback.

On the flipside. My first name is [name_f]Kate[/name_f] (but I go by [name_f]Katie[/name_f]- there’s a story behind that), anyway, many people assume my name must be short for [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] when it’s simply just [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. I have loads of people ask ’ but what’s it short for? [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]?’ Nope. [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Kate[/name_f].

So, I can see it being a bit of an issue ether way. Maybe you could use [name_f]Kate[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] as a middle name?

If you’re naming her after your sister- then it’s sort of perfect either way. [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is a nice name.

What about [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]?

Thanks for the suggestions! Goodkarmavt, we do really love [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] as well, but my sister is also pregnant and that is one of her top choices - so it’s crossed off my list!

Oh, I like [name_f]Jane[/name_f] much more.

I prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. It’s a simple and sweet name and I like that it’s less popular now than [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is.

I’m not a fan of nicknames like [name_f]Kat[/name_f] and [name_f]Katie[/name_f] and [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]'s almost always get shortened (willingly or unwillingly).

You could also consider [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] which is very similar but is usually not shortened.

We have a neighbor girl who goes by [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. I would never think to call her [name_f]Katie[/name_f] because I’ve only heard her called [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. I really don’t think it’s a given she would go by a nickname. I also love [name_f]Jane[/name_f] so you can’t go wrong.

I think I like [name_f]Jane[/name_f] more but I just wanted to throw in that I know several Katherines whose names aren’t shortened. If anything they may get kat every once in a while but that’s it.

I think both are lovely choices, but I agree with the others, [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is going to get shortened sooner or later. Best to pick a nickname you like now so that people can get used to that.

I don’t see [name_f]Jane[/name_f] becoming over-popular any time soon.

I love [name_f]Jane[/name_f] over [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. You will also spend your life worrying about the nickname if you choose [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is classic, beautiful and still underused. I don’t think it will become overly popular soon. Good luck with the choosing.

I personally don’t like [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], but it’s a nice evoigh name. I have known many a [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Catherine[/name_f], and not one went by their full name. BUT, my brother is a [name_u]Michael[/name_u], never [name_m]Mike[/name_m]. So it’s possible.

I love [name_f]Jane[/name_f]!

I prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. I also like [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] (with a C) but [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is a good insurance policy against unwanted nicknames.

Both are pretty, but I love [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. Then I saw that your sister’s name is [name_f]Kathryn[/name_f]. Then I saw she goes by [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. Then I saw you said you don’t want her to have a nickname.

I choose [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

I’m not sure how or why you’re under the impression that [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is going to get popular in the near future, but I have heard nothing about it. I have never heard of a baby or little kid named [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. I haven’t seen it on many people’s lists. It’s #355 on the ssa list. You are plenty safe with it. Honestly, seeing [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], I assumed popularity didn’t matter because it IS so popular.

That being said, I love the suggestion of [name_f]Katerina[/name_f].

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Katerina[/name_f]?

I like both names, but if you don’t want her to be called [name_f]Kate[/name_f] or [name_f]Katie[/name_f], I’d go with the [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] spelling. I have a friend called this and she goes by her full name. I also think [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is due for a comeback.

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] would be stunning. I love both names, but prefer the sweetness of [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

[name_f]Jane[/name_f]. I think it’s stronger and fresher than [name_f]Katherine[/name_f].

I would go with [name_f]Jane[/name_f], as you have a long surname. [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is a beautiful classic, but a lot less popular than [name_f]Katherine[/name_f].

I would go with [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. What about [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]? I have a friend who is a [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] and she has always been called [name_f]Katie[/name_f]. I think you would be fighting a losing battle with [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] (esp. if you are against calling her [name_f]Kate[/name_f]/[name_f]Katie[/name_f]) and do you really care for any nickname alternatives? [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_f]Kat[/name_f], [name_f]Kitty[/name_f], [name_f]Kathy[/name_f]? All seem very dowdy on a baby.

Besides, [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is so classic and it seems to have been firmly stuck as a middle name for such a long time that hearing it as a first name is very fresh. Plus, if she ever were to get a nickname, [name_f]Janie[/name_f] is very cute.