Finally having a baby, now at a loss

So after many years of being a name nerd and following these forums, I’m pregnant with our first - a boy. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I had a solid list of 3 boys names and 3 girls names before the pregnancy, but the boys names just don’t feel right to me anymore and I need some help!

Boys names are:
[name_u]Lionel[/name_u]
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]

Girls names for reference are:
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] is my absolute favourite girls name, and we would have readily used it had this baby been a girl, and would definitely use it in the future.

I don’t feel like [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] flows well with [name_f]Iris[/name_f], and I’m big time into nicknames, and it just feels too formal without a nickname. I like [name_u]Leo[/name_u] (this is all we’ve come up with) but it’s very popular in general and in my area.

[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] would be nn [name_u]Sol[/name_u], and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] could be [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] or Go casually. However, the more I think about both of these names, the more they just don’t sound like my son. Maybe they could grow on me? [name_f]My[/name_f] husband loves both.

Other boys names I like:
[name_u]Jude[/name_u] - husband is meh
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] - husband’s cousin has a kid named [name_u]Elliott[/name_u], whom we’ve never met. Still a possibility but could be a bit weird
[name_u]August[/name_u] - nn [name_m]Auggie[/name_m]
[name_m]Casper[/name_m] - sounds a bit close to our dog’s name
[name_u]Finn[/name_u] - not sold on any of the longer names for this, and would want a formal name

Any suggestions or thoughts on this list are much appreciated! I had thought it was a girl and it was comforting to think about the baby as [name_f]Iris[/name_f], and now I feel at a loss because he has no name.

3 Likes

I really love [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_u]Finn[/name_u]! Have you thought about [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] for another option. You also said you like the girls name [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] you could go with Sydney(for a boy)? Seems to match your taste and has the nickname of [name_u]Syd[/name_u]. If you don’t like [name_u]Leo[/name_u] as a nickname for [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] you could go with [name_f]Nel[/name_f], or does that feel to feminine? Anyway hope this helps.

Congratulations on your son! And welcome back to Nameberry. I love your naming style :heart:

I think [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] feel particularly perfectly matched, but I understand what you mean about names suddenly not feeling “right” when it’s for a real baby.

[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] is also lovely — stately and serene, and [name_u]Sol[/name_u] is such a cool nickname.

You might like…

[name_m]Sylvan[/name_m]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Alban[/name_m]
[name_m]Bram[/name_m]
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u]
[name_u]Walter[/name_u]
[name_m]Jago[/name_m]
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Leonard[/name_m]
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucian[/name_m]
[name_m]Elio[/name_m]
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]
[name_m]Samson[/name_m]
[name_u]Pascoe[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_m]Leopold[/name_m]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m] / [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] / [name_u]Louie[/name_u]
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] nn [name_u]Jude[/name_u] / [name_u]Jules[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] / [name_u]Auberon[/name_u]

Thanks everyone!

[name_u]Flynn[/name_u] had also occurred to me, will give it some more consideration.

Actually, [name_m]Elio[/name_m] was another name I saw this week and really liked. I think I’d like something a bit more recognizable as a full name, and we were actually thinking [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] or [name_u]Eliot[/name_u] nn [name_m]Elio[/name_m] and [name_f]El[/name_f]. I’m not sure if this cousin thing is actually too close or not. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband has a lot of cousins, and we live far away from them, and never make it back for any of the family reunions. However, my in laws do see them maybe once a year and still get [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] cards from them. I was also thinking about it, and I probably would think it’s a little weird if one of my cousins used my baby name. I have far fewer cousins though, and we see them fairly regularly.

1 Like

I love your naming style! [name_m]Elio[/name_m] is cool…short but substantial, like [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. I don’t think I’d use it as a nickname for [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], though; it’s no shorter, really, and not that intuitive. I like [name_m]Lio[/name_m] as a nickname for [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] or [name_m]Elio[/name_m].

I think [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is my other favorite of your choices.

Suggestions:
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m]
[name_m]Casper[/name_m]
[name_u]Griffin[/name_u], nn [name_u]Finn[/name_u]
[name_u]Blake[/name_u]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]

Personally, I don’t think it’s too close. It sounds like a fairly distant relative in terms of contact. However, this is the sort of thing that really is so personal, so it’s up to you how you feel about it.

There’s also Ellis or Elias to get you too the El/Elio nickname, but I wonder if that feels a little too close to Iris as well?

How do you feel about Arlo, in a similar vein? Nn Ari or Arrow/Aro, maybe?

Oooh I really like all three of your names. I think [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] make me the most excited. [name_u]Sol[/name_u] is definitely my favorite of your nickname ideas, I think that is so so precious, I would love to hear a baby [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] called [name_u]Sol[/name_u].

2 Likes

Congratulations! :relaxed:
Some ideas:
[name_u]Quincy[/name_u] nn [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_m]Caden[/name_m] nn [name_u]Cade[/name_u]
[name_m]Xander[/name_m]
[name_m]Kendrick[/name_m] nn [name_m]Kenny[/name_m]
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]
[name_m]Laszlo[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] nn [name_u]Eli[/name_u]
[name_m]Simeon[/name_m]
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u] nn [name_u]Spence[/name_u]
[name_u]Jericho[/name_u]
[name_u]Griffin[/name_u] nn [name_u]Finn[/name_u]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] nn [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u]
[name_m]Matthias[/name_m]
[name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] nn [name_m]Fletch[/name_m]
[name_u]Vesper[/name_u]
[name_u]Sloane[/name_u]
Hughett nn [name_m]Hugh[/name_m]
[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] nn [name_m]Shep[/name_m]

Congratulations!

I know you said you don’t like any [name_m]Fin[/name_m]- names besides [name_u]Finn[/name_u], but since you like [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] maybe you’d like [name_m]Finlo[/name_m]?

2 Likes

I’ve thought about [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] before… maybe up for consideration!

1 Like

Thank you! We appreciate the love for [name_u]Sol[/name_u], I really do think it’s a great name. I hope as the pregnancy goes along I can envision it more.

2 Likes

I love [name_u]Lionel[/name_u]. Could just [name_m]Lion[/name_m] be the nickname? Then you would have two nature names, [name_m]Lion[/name_m] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. Other nicknames could be [name_m]Ly[/name_m] or [name_u]Lyle[/name_u]. I think both the full name and any of these nicknames (or Leo) sound fine/good with [name_f]Iris[/name_f].

Congratulations!

What about [name_m]Linus[/name_m] or [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] or [name_u]Lennox[/name_u]? So many great boy L names.

I love [name_m]Solomon[/name_m], nn [name_u]Sully[/name_u]. [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]? Rather a jaunty name.

I love [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] and [name_m]Hughie[/name_m] more than [name_m]Hugo[/name_m].

Julian/Jules?
[name_u]Ezra[/name_u] or [name_m]Esau[/name_m] or [name_u]Elisha[/name_u] or [name_u]Ellery[/name_u]?
[name_m]Gustave[/name_m] or [name_m]Gustavo[/name_m] nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u]?
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]?
Fenwick? Fenimore?

I had thought of this and I actually love [name_m]Lion[/name_m] as a nn, husband wasn’t quite sold though

I know a little [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] who only goes by the whole name, and it’s adorable, but if I chose a nickname for [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] I think I’d chose [name_m]Monty[/name_m]

1 Like

I like [name_m]Solomon[/name_m], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u] of your choices! I don’t think it would be too weird to use [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
if you’ve never met the cousin

Some ideas

[name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] “Link”
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] “Seb”/“Bash”
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m] “Kit”
[name_m]Winston[/name_m] “Winn”
[name_m]Conrad[/name_m] “Rad”
[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] “Mo”/“Coco”
[name_m]Felix[/name_m] “Feef”/“Flick”
[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] “Max”
[name_u]Walter[/name_u] “Walt”/“Wally”
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u] “Em”
[name_u]Everett[/name_u] “Rett”
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] “Vinnie”
[name_u]Jonah[/name_u] “Joey”

Thanks everyone!

I quite like [name_u]Jonah[/name_u], [name_u]Walter[/name_u], and [name_m]Linus[/name_m].

[name_f]My[/name_f] paternal great grandfather’s name was apparently [name_u]Walter[/name_u] and he was supposedly not a nice man, but nn [name_m]Walt[/name_m] is so cute! And is a subtle homage to my husband’s over the top love of Disney

Congratulations on your son! :blue_heart:

Naming is so freaking hard honestly I had my first in [name_u]February[/name_u] and as a name nerd had always looked forward to that moment of actually naming a child but found it so hard. Similarly to you I had the name I always thought I would name my child however unlike you it was vetoed so I was back to the drawing board trying to come up with something new finding the process stressful as I just wanted a name and feel comfortable in the reassurance that my child was named. So essentially completely understand how your feeling but you will find the right one and have a great list so far!

Personally from the names discussed I love [name_m]Solomon[/name_m], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. Of course the names mentioned are not part of your top 3 from your top 3 my favourite is [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]!

[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] is such a handsome strong biblical name with a great bible story attached. [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] of course derives from shalom therefore has the meaning peace which is so lovely especially for a baby born in such trying times. I think [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] feels wise and stoic a brave strong choice with the happy nickname [name_u]Sol[/name_u]. Finally if you were ever blessed with a daughter I think [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] & [name_f]Iris[/name_f] sound gorgeous together!

You’ve had a few suggestions so count any repeats as me being in agreement with the berries

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Redmond[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Truman[/name_m]
[name_m]Leopold[/name_m]
[name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m]
[name_m]Zachariah[/name_m]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
[name_m]Thiago[/name_m]
[name_u]Rooney[/name_u]
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_u]Porter[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]

Good luck

2 Likes

I like [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] with [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. Hey, [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] combo is awesome!