Finally pretty much decided (changed mind) - quick ?

So I’ve posted before asking about other names. We had pretty much decided to name our third son [name]Arthur[/name] (other boys are [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Walter[/name] nn [name]Walt[/name]), but it never quite felt right to either of us despite the fact that we love the name. For one, our last name has the letters “art” in it, not sounding like “art”, but it does get mispronounced that way. Also, [name]Arthur[/name] and [name]Walter[/name] and especially [name]Art[/name] and [name]Walt[/name] seemed a little too similar to me (and my husband wanted to call him [name]Art[/name]).
We have 3 weeks to go and we introduced and pretty much settled on a new name idea: [name]Malcolm[/name]. I know this doesn’t “go” with [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Walter[/name] quite as well, but I really like the feel and sound of it and I’m ok with it not being a perfect fit. I feel much more in love with this name which makes me happy we didn’t settle on a name I didn’t feel the click with.
Here is my one small reservation: we sort of tried to give our kids pretty American feeling names. Is [name]Malcolm[/name] too Scottish feeling? I think of it as pretty Americanized ([name]Malcolm[/name] X, lots of African Americans named after him, [name]Malcolm[/name] in the Middle, etc.), but I just wanted to do a reality check. Trying not to be quite as exotic as names like [name]Hamish[/name], [name]Declan[/name], etc… would you group it with names like that or does it seem firmly made-it-to-[name]America[/name] enough to not be odd next to our other sons’ names? BTW, I have absolutely nothing against more foreign/exotic names for other kids!
Thanks so much and sorry to be long-winded. I’d appreciate your opinions!

While it’s more common in [name]Canada[/name] (because of the Scottish influence), [name]Malcolm[/name] is not a truly Gaelic name. It means follower of St [name]Columba[/name], who was a [name]Roman[/name], so there’s the Latin influence there too. Also, [name]Malcolm[/name] is a very old name, so while it doesn’t match the Teutonic of [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Walter[/name], it definitely matches them in age. [name]Malcolm[/name] was the name of several Scottish kings so it’s a royal name as well.

So I say go for it.

I love [name]Walter[/name], [name]Henry[/name], and [name]Malcolm[/name] together! I think they go perfectly together, I wouldnt over think it. And I agree, [name]Walter[/name] and [name]Arthur[/name] are too similar.

I think it’s a great name and goes fine with your children. Not too Scottish at all. And Malc/Malk is a great nickname. :smiley:

[name]Hi[/name] abbycd,
[name]Malcolm[/name] sounds great alongside your two other sons! The previous post was right. [name]Don[/name]'t overthink it! I love the nn [name]Mac[/name]/[name]Mack[/name].

I think [name]Malcolm[/name] goes fantastically with [name]Walter[/name] and [name]Henry[/name]! Such a strong, classy set! [name]Malcolm[/name] is one of my very favorites, I say it’s a classic, just like your other son’s names. I much prefer it to [name]Arthur[/name] due to lack of any good nn’s that wouldn’t involve teasing for a 21st century child. [name]Don[/name]'t over think think the origin thing, my fathers fn name is very Scottish and his middle name is [name]Walter[/name] with a very Welsh 1 syl last name ([name]Douglas[/name] [name]Walter[/name] M__). I have always thought it to be handsome and that the names complement one another. Honestly for the longest time, I thought [name]Walter[/name] was Scottish!. [name]Love[/name] [name]Mac[/name]/k! Are [name]Henry[/name], [name]Walter[/name] and [name]Malcolm[/name] all connected as [name]Royal[/name] names? I believe there was a famous Gothic [name]King[/name] named [name]Walter[/name] of [name]Aquitaine[/name]. Perhaps that is what can tie them together if you are looking for a reason or theme. I would definitely put [name]Malcolm[/name] into the “made it to [name]America[/name]” camp.

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I think [name]Malcom[/name] is a perfectly fine name for an American boy name (I know one), especially with [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Walter[/name]! If you’re really doubting, then I think [name]Everett[/name] fits your boys’ style as well.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful replies. You made me feel really good about our decision. I’m looking forward to meeting our [name]Malcolm[/name].

:smiley:

[name]Love[/name] this name! It’s definitely not too Scottish (not even close) and I think it sounds great with your other sons’ names. Congratulations on finding one you love and feel great about! :smiley: