Finally - statistics for England & Wales from 2008

Hurrah, it’s finally happened, the Office of National Statistics have finally released the baby name statistics from 2008.

Top 100’s are:

1 [name]JACK[/name] (it’s 14th year at the top)
2 [name]OLIVER[/name]
3 [name]THOMAS[/name]
4 [name]HARRY[/name]
5 [name]JOSHUA[/name]
6 [name]ALFIE[/name]
7 [name]CHARLIE[/name]
8 [name]DANIEL[/name]
9 [name]JAMES[/name]
10 [name]WILLIAM[/name]
11 [name]SAMUEL[/name]
12 [name]GEORGE[/name]
13 [name]JOSEPH[/name]
14 [name]LEWIS[/name]
15 [name]ETHAN[/name]
16 [name]MOHAMMED[/name]
17 [name]DYLAN[/name]
18 [name]BENJAMIN[/name]
19 [name]ALEXANDER[/name]
20 [name]JACOB[/name]
21 [name]RYAN[/name]
22 [name]LIAM[/name]
23 [name]JAKE[/name]
24 [name]MAX[/name]
25 [name]LUKE[/name]
26 [name]TYLER[/name]
27 [name]CALLUM[/name]
28 [name]MATTHEW[/name]
29 [name]JAYDEN[/name]
30 [name]OSCAR[/name]
31 [name]ARCHIE[/name]
32 [name]ADAM[/name]
33 [name]RILEY[/name]
34 [name]HARVEY[/name]
35 [name]HARRISON[/name]
36 [name]LUCAS[/name]
37 [name]MUHAMMAD[/name]
38 [name]HENRY[/name]
39 [name]ISAAC[/name]
40 [name]LEO[/name]
41 [name]CONNOR[/name]
42 [name]EDWARD[/name]
43 [name]FINLEY[/name]
44 [name]LOGAN[/name]
45 [name]NOAH[/name]
46 [name]CAMERON[/name]
47 [name]ALEX[/name]
48 [name]OWEN[/name]
49 [name]RHYS[/name]
50 [name]NATHAN[/name]
51 [name]JAMIE[/name]
52 [name]MICHAEL[/name]
53 [name]MASON[/name]
54 [name]TOBY[/name]
55 [name]AARON[/name]
56 [name]CHARLES[/name]
57 [name]BEN[/name]
58 [name]THEO[/name]
59 [name]LOUIS[/name]
60 [name]FREDDIE[/name]
61 [name]FINLAY[/name]
62 [name]LEON[/name]
63 [name]HARLEY[/name]
64 [name]DAVID[/name]
65 [name]MOHAMMAD[/name]
66 [name]REECE[/name]
67 [name]KIAN[/name]
68 [name]KAI[/name]
69 [name]KYLE[/name]
70 [name]BRANDON[/name]
71 [name]HAYDEN[/name]
72 [name]ZACHARY[/name]
73 [name]KIERAN[/name]
73 [name]LUCA[/name]
75 [name]ASHTON[/name]
76 [name]BAILEY[/name]
77 [name]SEBASTIAN[/name]
78 [name]GABRIEL[/name]
79 [name]SAM[/name]
80 [name]EVAN[/name]
81 [name]BRADLEY[/name]
82 [name]ELLIOT[/name]
83 [name]JOHN[/name]
84 [name]TAYLOR[/name]
85 [name]JOE[/name]
86 [name]COREY[/name]
87 [name]REUBEN[/name]
88 [name]JOEL[/name]
89 [name]ROBERT[/name]
90 [name]ELLIS[/name]
91 [name]BLAKE[/name]
92 [name]AIDAN[/name]
93 [name]LOUIE[/name]
94 [name]CHRISTOPHER[/name]
95 [name]EWAN[/name]
96 [name]JAY[/name]
97 [name]MORGAN[/name]
98 [name]BILLY[/name]
99 [name]SEAN[/name]
100 [name]ZAK[/name]

New entries to the Top 100 were: [name]Zak[/name], [name]Ewan[/name] and [name]Blake[/name]
Waving goodbye to the Top 100 were: [name]Frederick[/name], [name]Dominic[/name] and [name]Andrew[/name]

1 [name]OLIVIA[/name]
2 [name]RUBY[/name]
3 [name]EMILY[/name]
4 [name]GRACE[/name]
5 [name]JESSICA[/name]
6 [name]CHLOE[/name]
7 [name]SOPHIE[/name]
8 [name]LILY[/name]
9 [name]AMELIA[/name]
10 [name]EVIE[/name]
11 [name]MIA[/name]
12 [name]ELLA[/name]
13 [name]CHARLOTTE[/name]
14 [name]LUCY[/name]
15 [name]MEGAN[/name]
16 [name]ELLIE[/name]
17 [name]ISABELLE[/name]
18 [name]ISABELLA[/name]
19 [name]HANNAH[/name]
20 [name]KATIE[/name]
21 [name]AVA[/name]
22 [name]HOLLY[/name]
23 [name]SUMMER[/name]
24 [name]MILLIE[/name]
25 [name]DAISY[/name]
26 [name]PHOEBE[/name]
27 [name]FREYA[/name]
28 [name]ABIGAIL[/name]
29 [name]POPPY[/name]
30 [name]ERIN[/name]
31 [name]EMMA[/name]
32 [name]MOLLY[/name]
33 [name]IMOGEN[/name]
34 [name]AMY[/name]
35 [name]JASMINE[/name]
36 [name]ISLA[/name]
37 [name]SCARLETT[/name]
38 [name]LEAH[/name]
39 [name]SOPHIA[/name]
40 [name]ELIZABETH[/name]
41 [name]EVA[/name]
42 [name]BROOKE[/name]
43 [name]MATILDA[/name]
44 [name]CAITLIN[/name]
45 [name]KEIRA[/name]
46 [name]ALICE[/name]
47 [name]LOLA[/name]
48 [name]LILLY[/name]
49 [name]AMBER[/name]
50 [name]ISABEL[/name]
51 [name]LAUREN[/name]
52 [name]GEORGIA[/name]
53 [name]GRACIE[/name]
54 [name]ELEANOR[/name]
55 [name]BETHANY[/name]
56 [name]MADISON[/name]
57 [name]AMELIE[/name]
58 [name]ISOBEL[/name]
58 [name]PAIGE[/name]
60 [name]LACEY[/name]
61 [name]SIENNA[/name]
62 [name]LIBBY[/name]
63 [name]MAISIE[/name]
64 [name]ANNA[/name]
65 [name]REBECCA[/name]
66 [name]ROSIE[/name]
67 [name]TIA[/name]
68 [name]LAYLA[/name]
69 [name]MAYA[/name]
70 [name]NIAMH[/name]
71 [name]ZARA[/name]
72 [name]SARAH[/name]
73 [name]LEXI[/name]
74 [name]MADDISON[/name]
75 [name]ALISHA[/name]
76 [name]SOFIA[/name]
77 [name]SKYE[/name]
78 [name]NICOLE[/name]
79 [name]LEXIE[/name]
80 [name]FAITH[/name]
81 [name]MARTHA[/name]
82 [name]HARRIET[/name]
83 [name]ZOE[/name]
84 [name]EVE[/name]
85 [name]JULIA[/name]
86 [name]AIMEE[/name]
87 [name]HOLLIE[/name]
88 [name]LYDIA[/name]
89 [name]EVELYN[/name]
90 [name]ALEXANDRA[/name]
91 [name]MARIA[/name]
92 [name]FRANCESCA[/name]
93 [name]TILLY[/name]
94 [name]FLORENCE[/name]
95 [name]ALICIA[/name]
96 [name]ABBIE[/name]
97 [name]EMILIA[/name]
98 [name]COURTNEY[/name]
99 [name]MARYAM[/name]
100 [name]ESME[/name]

New entries to the Top 100 were: [name]Esme[/name], [name]Maryam[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Florence[/name], [name]Lexi[/name]
Waving goodbye to the Top 100 were: [name]Rose[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Shannon[/name] & [name]Madeleine[/name]

You can view numbers, the data from 2007 and the data from 1998 (they’ve done a comparison of how the popularity of each name in the 2008 Top 100 compares to where it was in 1998) here:

Thank you so much for posting! I thought it was a casualty of the recession!

Thanks from us too–they had said they weren’t going to do it this year because of lack of funds, but they finally did see the light–or caved in to pressure. We’ll be digesting and blogging about it soon.

My top two favorite girls names are at the top of the list, [name]Ruby[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name]. :frowning: I live in the US. I know [name]Olivia[/name] is popular here at #6 but [name]Ruby[/name] was #113. [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Ruby[/name] will make it to the top 20 or 50 here in the next 10 years?

Thanks so much for posting this! I love the UK top 100 so much more than the US. Gotta say I’m a little disappointed to see [name]Jayden[/name] in there, I think of that as very much American… and not in a good way. [name]Love[/name] the list though, and thanks for posting the link!

Thanks, Elsabea! :slight_smile:

My faves for girls are [name]Maisie[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], and [name]Phoebe[/name], also love [name]Tillie[/name] as a nn for [name]Matilda[/name].
Faves for boys are [name]Thomas[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Isaac[/name], and [name]Sebastian[/name]. And [name]Jack[/name] if it weren’t so popular! Ooo, love [name]Alfie[/name], but I see the popular name is Alfrie, don’t like it as much.

I love a lot of those names. I think that has often been said before but I really think that all in all they are more amture, more classic in a way. [name]Do[/name] they have naming laws in the Uk or are parents just voluntarily foregoing their right to use crazy names?

Hello elisabea. I have just posted about this on another post of [name]Nephele[/name]'s and told her not to grumble about the US Social Security site, because I have been nagging the Office of National Statistics since [name]January[/name], and they have only just got their act together, nine months too late! Not only that, but only given us the top HUNDRED names - how pathetic! I am very cross about it.

I live in [name]Wales[/name] by the way - are you in [name]England[/name]?

The only naming law we have here, is you can’t have anything offensive, so if a parent tries to register an offensive name the registrar will refuse to register it.

I’m in [name]England[/name].

For the last couple of years, the ONS have provided members of another board I post on with more data (a Top 2000), and I’ve e-mailed them this time to request it. We’re keeping our fingers crossed they’ll send it to us again. If they do, I’ll let you know.

Oh thank you very much elisabea! I would really appreciate this. They told me they didn’t have the necessary staff to analyse all the data and publish the findings (I have offered to go and do it for free but . . . . .)

The top 2000 sounds wonderful. Fingers crossed.

Ditto to what [name]Ailsa[/name] (Redridinghood) said here – the Top 2000 for [name]England[/name] and [name]Wales[/name] would be most appreciated! Any chance you can post your lists from the past couple of years here in this forum?

And thanks for posting the Top 100 lists!

– [name]Nephele[/name]

Over to you Elisabea! I have huge lists of the names in a big crate somewhere, but my technical abilities are well-known for their helplessness, although I do feel that since I have been on Nameberry I have improved leaps and bounds.

I will go and investigate my crates.

PS WHERE are all these Jacks? I really don’t know that many at all, and in all the time I have been working in the toyshop (where I quiz all the mothers mercilessly before letting them out of the door), I have not encountered any [name]Jack[/name]-babies. SO I am really curious as to how it is top of the charts for the 16th-or-whatever year running.

Tell us a bit more about yourself Elisabea? [name]Do[/name] you have children?

Nosey from Swansea
([name]Ailsa[/name] aka Redridinghood)

I’ll get the lists from 2006 and 2007 posted up a bit later today.

Tell you a bit about myself…

I’m [name]Elisabeth[/name], but every calls me [name]Elsa[/name], I’m 30 and married to [name]John[/name] (31). We live in Surrey with our five children; [name]Julius[/name] (who turned 4 yesterday), [name]Helena[/name] (2), [name]Esther[/name] (1) and twins [name]Tobias[/name] & [name]Josephine[/name] (5 weeks). They’re known as [name]Jude[/name], [name]Nell[/name], [name]Hetty[/name], [name]Toby[/name] and [name]Posy[/name] for short.

So as you can see, I have my hands full, but it’s worth it. [name]John[/name] has taken [name]Jude[/name], [name]Nell[/name] and [name]Hetty[/name] out for a few hours, to give me a little rest (we had a birthday party for [name]Jude[/name] yesterday and I’m exhausted from it), and [name]Toby[/name] & [name]Posy[/name] are napping at the moment, so it’s given me a chance to catch up online. Housework can wait!

I’ve been obsessed with names for years, long before I had my children. It all started with buying a ‘baby name’ book when I was younger, as I was just curious, but somehow I became fascinated by it all. I bought another book, which had more names in it, and before long I was addicted to names and had dozens of books. I knew [name]John[/name] was the one, when he saw my collection of books, and didn’t freak out! LOL!

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Elsa[/name],

I think you post on babycentreuk. I only post occasionally but I recognise your children’s names from there. You must be so busy at the moment with so many small children! I don’t think I could cope without a full time mother’s help and a housekeeper! :slight_smile: [name]Hope[/name] the twins are doing well.

[name]Lucy[/name]

My mum’s been helping out a lot with the housework - I don’t know what I’d do without her!

Re: the Top 2000 lists from 2006 and 2007, they’re too long to post, so if anyone wants me to e-mail it to them, you can e-mail me at:

elsabea@live.co.uk

I’ll send it to anyone who asks for it, but please don’t be alarmed if you don’t hear back from me straight away, as I do have my hands rather full!

Oh [name]Elsa[/name] (by the way, I get called [name]Elsa[/name] all the time and as a child was always called [name]Elsa[/name] the Lioness after that wildlife film) - how amazing! [name]Love[/name] your kids’ names. I emphathise with you so much.

My kids are all teenagers now, but I have six of them, and at one stage, I had six under the age of 7 - they are now [name]Stuart[/name] (19), [name]Laura[/name] (19 also, but not twins, just eleven months younger), [name]Douglas[/name] (17), [name]Robert[/name] (16), [name]Heather[/name] (15) and [name]Catherine[/name] (13). Looking back on it, I don’t know how I did it, but I think women are great, and we just get things done.

Thank you for sharing that, I didn’t mean to be nosy, but it helps when you are commenting on people’s posts if you know a bit about them.

[name]Ailsa[/name]
x