Find your Ermentrude

What’s a name that has you conflicted. You want to love it but at the same time you don’t. Or maybe you do love it but it seems like you shouldn’t.

(Sorry to pick on [name_f]Ermentrude[/name_f]! It got me thinking about this.)

4 Likes

Because I am not naming a child, I feel no conflict about any names. :slight_smile:

But if I were naming one child, I know what my internal conflict would be. I love a bunch of names passionately which either have nicknames I loathe or no nickname.

Guinevere, except I prefer [name_f]Vera[/name_f] to [name_f]Gwen[/name_f].
[name_f]Magdalen[/name_f], though not [name_f]Maggie[/name_f].
[name_f]Madelief[/name_f], though definitely not [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] (not bad, just too common).
[name_f]Demelza[/name_f], though no nn I like.
[name_f]Thora[/name_f] and [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] - can’t find any nns.

We named our unborn daughter [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], which had she gotten to be born would have posed the risk of people calling her [name_u]Cory[/name_u] or [name_f]Cordie[/name_f] (aurgh!) but because she is in [name_f]Heaven[/name_f], there is no chance of that.

9 Likes

100% [name_f]Bee[/name_f]! I adore it for a girl’s name (I don’t like how [name_f]Bea[/name_f] looks, sadly), but I definitely know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

1 Like

AFAB:
[name_f]Buttercup[/name_f]
[name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]
[name_f]Arwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Tangerine[/name_f]
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u]
[name_f]Thomasina[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u] (yes, for a girl)
[name_f]Batsheva[/name_f]
[name_m]Saturday[/name_m]
[name_u]November[/name_u]
[name_f]Alyx[/name_f] (by itself)
[name_f]Hester[/name_f]
Chrysothemis
[name_u]Demeter[/name_u]
[name_f]Mandolin[/name_f]

AMAB:
[name_m]Edgar[/name_m]
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u]
[name_m]Anakin[/name_m]
[name_u]Ember[/name_u]
[name_u]Killian[/name_u] (only with the K)
[name_m]Aran[/name_m] (ARE-un)
Mandy

NEUTRAL:
[name_u]Pippin[/name_u]
[name_u]Seven[/name_u]
[name_f]Linnet[/name_f]
[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f]
[name_u]Story[/name_u]
[name_u]Lyric[/name_u]
[name_f]Melrose[/name_f]
[name_u]Barrett[/name_u]
[name_u]Lake[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] heart is all in on [name_f]Winifred[/name_f], but my mind still finds the sounds a little bit unappealing! It’s really hard for me to come to terms with, because it has the best imagery!

2 Likes

Ebenezer :grin::heart:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Aimee[/name_f], and I’m not conflicted on it anymore, but a lot of Berries had me doubting it.

1 Like

A lot of my list tbh, I feel very conflicted in liking Biblical names, as a lot of times they’re deemed “too religious” if they’re outside of the bubble of perennially popular choices like [name_f]Leah[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f]. I feel like “too religious” means I should be a) embarrassed or b) ashamed to use them. :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

I’m going to say [name_f]Isabetta[/name_f] and [name_u]Augustine[/name_u].
I like [name_f]Isabetta[/name_f] a lot but even my computer says it’s spelled wrong and it dosen’t really sound nice when your not saying it in Spanish or Italian. I really, really like [name_u]Augustine[/name_u] but I prefer the pronunciation A-gus-tin but I feel like people will pronounce it Au-gus-teen and I even find myself saying it like that sometimes but I don’t really like that pronunciation so I’m very conflicted.

1 Like

This was my struggle with [name_f]Greer[/name_f]. It was actually just yesterday that I began to love it, but prior to that I knew it was charming but I was stuck for some reason. To me it sounds really “high fashion” and and girly, which is weird because I also think this names sounds wholly masculine if used for a boy. It’s become my new favorite.

3 Likes

Lurlene/Lurline/Lurleen - Yes, I did get this name from the Simpsons. :sweat_smile: I think it sounds cute and quirky (I love names that have two L sounds) and I like the mythological connection, but I worry it sounds too “Country and Western” and would get a negative reaction. I’m also not sure which spelling I prefer.

1 Like

@whatchamacallit I can totally get the love/can’t love [name_m]Ebenezer[/name_m]!

@leafsgirl44 I bet this is a common feeling unfortunately!

@diaper_bagge Your description makes [name_f]Greer[/name_f] make so much more sense to me!

For me this would be most invented names. I really love the idea of them but I feel like they just aren’t something I’m really “allowed” to use. I don’t know who is making the rules. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Alvin, because I’m sure sure people will get past the chipmunks (to a lesser extent, also [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] bc of the witch and [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m] bc of the cat), and because it sounds like [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], which I’m really not a fan of because of associations. And yet I still love [name_m]Alvin[/name_m] (and [name_f]Ursula[/name_f], and [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m]).

Also [name_m]Hershel[/name_m], which I’m so drawn to, yet feel like people would give me grief for it being an old man name or clunky/uncool. But I love “old people” names!

2 Likes

Allegra. 100%
I love it and would use it in a heartbeat if not only my fiance agreed but people didn’t immediately think of the allergy medicine.

Everyone I’ve mentioned it to or have seen it written about usually comments on the medicine. I’m so torn on understanding why it’s not usable and being like well too bad it’s a great name!

2 Likes

Gilbert-I absolutely love the nn [name_m]Gil[/name_m] and one of my favourite literary characters of all time is [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]. I’m from [name_f]Canada[/name_f] and every year my family visits the home [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Maud[/name_f] [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] lived at in [name_m]Ontario[/name_m]. I also have a great-uncle Gildore, so this name would be a nice nod to him. [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] has a great meaning, “shining pledge”. All around this name is perfect for me, but I just don’t totally love it! I don’t know what it is, but it sounds kind of clunky

Gideon-It’s a fantastic biblical name, and has some literary connections ([name_m]Gideon[/name_m] de [name_m]Villiers[/name_m] is one of my guilty pleasure favourite characters from [name_f]Kiersten[/name_f] Gier’s ya books). I love potential nickname of [name_m]Geo[/name_m] but I just don’t like Gid at the beginning of the name.

Tobias-this is a name I do love but I feel that I shouldn’t. The story of [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] and the [name_f]Arcangel[/name_f] [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] has a special place in my heart. Plus [name_u]Toby[/name_u] is the most adorable nickname. But an old friend of mine wanted to name her son this, and even though we don’t really see each other anymore I can’t shake the association out of my head that this is her name and it would be stealing.

1 Like

Ezekiah, Zarchariah, and Elixabete. I can’t decide whether I like them or not.

Delaney comes to mind at the moment. Generally, if I think about a name long enough, I’ll like it. And I kinda sorta do…but maybe not really?