šŸ¦• finding a place for john

hello berries :ear_of_rice:

iā€™m looking for all your best ideas to honor generations of men in my family, including my dad, brother, and granddad!

iā€™m considering handsome and southern, double-barreled names, like john brooks, john shepherd, and jack wyatt, and would love more suggestions of these.

in addition, i have a few questionsā€¦ considering my list- found in my uc- do you feel john fits better as a first or middle name? would you suggest something like jackson, jennings, or jones instead? what combination honoring john would you add to my boys list?

thanks in advance, friends! :baseball:

1 Like

As a first name, [name_m]Jones[/name_m] or [name_u]Jennings[/name_u] seems like they would fit best with your list.

Maybe [name_u]Evan[/name_u], [name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Jensen[/name_u], [name_m]Ian[/name_m] or [name_m]Zane[/name_m]? [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_u]Jonah[/name_u], [name_m]Jonas[/name_m], [name_m]Jantzen[/name_m], [name_m]Joaquin[/name_m], [name_m]Django[/name_m] (nickname of [name_u]Jean[/name_u] which is [name_u]French[/name_u] for John)?

You could probably get some cool nicknames by mixing with some middle names (i.e. [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Brett[/name_u] nn Jett)
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Alucard[/name_m] nn [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Luc[/name_m]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] nn [name_u]Josey[/name_u]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Acre[/name_m] nn [name_m]Jake[/name_m]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Draco[/name_m] nn [name_m]Jake[/name_m], JD
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Pacey[/name_m] nn [name_u]Jace[/name_u], JP
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Mason[/name_u] nn [name_m]Jase[/name_m]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Fairfax[/name_u] nn [name_u]Onyx[/name_u]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Hendrix[/name_u] nn [name_u]Onyx[/name_u]
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u] nn [name_m]Arjan[/name_m], AJ
[name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u] nn [name_m]Arjan[/name_m], AJ
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] nn [name_m]Job[/name_m], JC, [name_u]Jace[/name_u]
[name_m]Zander[/name_m] [name_u]Jack[/name_u] nn Zajac, ZJ
[name_m]Bancroft[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u] nn [name_u]Banjo[/name_u]
[name_m]Cullen[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u] nn Cujo, CJ

1 Like

I think the first names you posted yourself are SO handsome. [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Brooks[/name_u] sounds like a movie star, but completely doable. I have kids with double names, and as long as you tell everyone to call the child by both, heā€™ll grow up as both (unless he drops one later on.)

[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Brooks[/name_u], [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u] are all great.
Iā€™ll add:
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Lance[/name_m], [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Luke[/name_m] (sounds a bit religious though), [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Vance[/name_m], [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Adrian[/name_u], [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Tate[/name_u]

1 Like

@shanade213 thank you for your input! i love your suggestion of zane. i totally forgot about him, and i absolutely love the vibe he has! i also adore some of the dreamy combos youā€™ve shared. bancroft john ā€˜banjoā€™ especially has my heart- maybe banning john, too?

@flamingo i was raised with a double name, but now just go by my first name- i totally wish i wouldā€™ve kept it the other way! anyway, i love your suggestion of john tate. tate holds a lot of meaning for me- and itā€™s oh so happy and fun!

thank you both :brown_heart:

I really love [name_u]Jack[/name_u] as an intuitive honor for [name_u]John[/name_u]! Plusā€¦ you know I love a good double-barrel name, and [name_u]John[/name_u] is a brilliant name to go from there.

Iā€™m also thinking it would be a really interesting honor to use a name that included the letters J, O, H, and N! I did a little digging, and here are my favorites (for both boys, girls, other, and in-between) that I think could be right for your style:
[name_f]Johanna[/name_f] or Joannah
Helen-Joan
Noah-James
Savannah-Jo
Sasha-Josephine
Josepha-Nell
Jenoah
Jephson
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] or [name_f]Josiephine[/name_f]
Joniah
[name_u]Jonah[/name_u] (Might be my fave for you :star_struck:)

In the vein of a sweet, country-twang, cowboy-sweet couple name for a boy, Iā€™m likingā€¦
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u] ā€˜CJā€™
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] ā€˜Joā€™
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u]
[name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_u]Jack[/name_u]
[name_u]Jack[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] ā€˜Jamā€™
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_u]Jay[/name_u] ā€˜PJā€™
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_u]Jay[/name_u]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] ā€˜Jojoā€™
[name_u]Jack[/name_u] [name_u]Austin[/name_u]
[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] [name_u]Jack[/name_u]
[name_u]Wilder[/name_u] [name_u]Jay[/name_u]
[name_m]Macsen[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u] ā€˜MJā€™
[name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] [name_u]Jack[/name_u]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Byron[/name_m]
[name_u]Banner[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u] ā€˜Banjoā€™
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Wiley[/name_u]
[name_m]Daemon[/name_m] [name_u]Jack[/name_u] ā€˜Daxā€™
[name_m]Lewis[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u] ā€˜Lonnieā€™
[name_m]Zayn[/name_m] [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u] ā€˜Ottoā€™
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Bishop[/name_m] ā€˜Jobā€™
[name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] [name_u]Jay[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Brooks[/name_u] is very cool! I like [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] too, but Iā€™m not sure I could see him being called 'John [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]- but rather [name_u]John[/name_u] or Shepherd/Shep if that makes sense?

Some other ideas:

[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Luka[/name_u]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Blaise[/name_u]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Bode[/name_m]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Lyle[/name_u]
[name_u]John[/name_u] Whitt
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Hayes[/name_u]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Jesse[/name_u]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Rufus[/name_m]

I feel like [name_u]John[/name_u] would work best as a middle with your list - but, given that [name_u]John[/name_u] isnā€™t so well used today, it could be a kind of unexpected first name now I think of it. Still, [name_u]Jennings[/name_u] or [name_m]Jones[/name_m] would be my go to.

[name_m]Jones[/name_m] [name_u]Maverick[/name_u] is great - Iā€™ll throw in [name_m]Jones[/name_m] [name_u]Marlo[/name_u], [name_m]Jones[/name_m] [name_u]Lyle[/name_u], [name_m]Jones[/name_m] [name_m]Wystan[/name_m], [name_m]Jones[/name_m] [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m], [name_m]Jones[/name_m] [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m], [name_m]Jones[/name_m] [name_u]Callahan[/name_u].

For [name_u]Jennings[/name_u], Iā€™m thinking [name_u]Jennings[/name_u] [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], [name_u]Jennings[/name_u] [name_u]Blaine[/name_u], [name_u]Jennings[/name_u] [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_u]Jennings[/name_u] [name_u]Harlow[/name_u], [name_u]Jennings[/name_u] [name_m]Oziah[/name_m], [name_u]Jennings[/name_u] [name_m]Gage[/name_m].

1 Like

hazel, you are brilliant! iā€™m loving these. especially noah-james, jephson, josephine and jonah. joniah and helen-joan are also lovely in their own right. so unexpectedly sweet. :bug:

calvin john ā€˜cjā€™ has such a special place in my heart. he shares my dadā€™s initials, and i love a good ā€˜calā€™ name. macsen john, fletcher jack, john wiley, and john bishop are also strikingly handsome. i meanā€¦ john bishop ā€œjobā€? heā€™s the perfect southern dreamboat. iā€™m literally swooning. :camping:

thank you so much!

i agree with you about john shepherdā€¦ itā€™s a bit of a mouthful to yell from a porch. i love your idea of ā€˜shepā€™ however. the sheer amount of johnā€™s and jackā€™s in my family means mine would need a distinct nickname. iā€™ve added your suggestions of john hayes and john graham to my list. theyā€™re so sweet and twangy! i also love jones callahan and jennings gage. thank you for your input! :banjo:

1 Like

Now Iā€™ve gone away and thought about it, John Shepherd is kind of cool as an option, especially with Shep as a nickname - or ever ā€˜John Shepā€™

1 Like

i really do love john shepherd, especially because shepherd is one of my favorites! this nickname option is also so sweet :sheep:

1 Like

john brooks is gorgeous, as all the other names on your list are :teapot:
with your list, i believe john works as a middle name best, but i do love it as a first for you as well. i think it could really go anyway!
i think jennings is absolutely perfect, however, i really love john, so i think i would just use john in this case. :seedling:

suggestions :sauropod:
john nash
john tobias
john cyrus
john booker
john moses
john foster
john orson
john maverick
john cormac
john ranger
easton john
parker john
rhett john
declan john
holden john
cosmo john
noah john
gable john
monroe john
wilder john

i hope this helped! :sunny:

1 Like

first of all, these are so lovely!!! :yellow_heart:

maybe:
john maccoy
john mccall
john emerson
john banks
john tripp
john ledger
john ives
john halston
john wolfe
john talbot
john crusoe
john arledge
john beckham
john fischer
john edward
john whitaker
john forest
john foster
john fletcher
john thatcher

• i personally would add john briggs to your list for the southern double-barrel surnamey feel!
  • i think john fits just as you said, a double barrel name is perfect for john and your list imo!

john honours that you might like:
evan
ewan
ivo
jensen or jens
jonas

I actually love [name_u]John[/name_u]!

Honestly I think [name_u]John[/name_u] is such a gorgeous classic name thatā€™s understated, timeless, handsome, rich in biblical history and has the lovely meaning ā€˜G-d is graciousā€™. I think it would be so refreshing to come across a baby/young child named [name_u]John[/name_u]. Iā€™m strongly championing [name_u]John[/name_u] as a first name!!

I think [name_u]John[/name_u] feels a little surprising within your UC but not massively so. [name_u]John[/name_u] has the same relaxed laid back feel and I think paired with the ideas you have the name also has that southern flair you love. I really like [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Brooks[/name_u] as a double barrel name. I think [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] is gorgeous but a little long as a double barrel name. Have you considered [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u] as double barrel option? Some other ideas could be [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Rivers[/name_u], [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Oakes[/name_m], [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Wells[/name_m], [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Briar[/name_u], [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Amos[/name_u], [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Scout[/name_u], [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Otis[/name_m], [name_u]Riley[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u], [name_m]Willis[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u], [name_m]Soren[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u], [name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u], [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u] and [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u].

Looking at other options I like [name_u]Jack[/name_u] as an alternative and a way to honour [name_u]John[/name_u]. [name_u]Jack[/name_u] is very sweet and fits in with your UC. [name_u]Jack[/name_u] [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u] is lovely I also like [name_u]Jennings[/name_u]! [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] is lovely but I do prefer just [name_u]Jack[/name_u]. [name_m]Jones[/name_m] is very cool but I again prefer [name_u]Jack[/name_u] as an alternative to [name_u]John[/name_u]. Another idea could be [name_u]Evan[/name_u] heā€™s so outdoorsy and sweet. I think [name_u]Evan[/name_u] would work well with your UC. But I do find other [name_u]John[/name_u] alternatives like [name_m]Zane[/name_m] not in keeping with your southern gentleman style.

Going back to [name_u]John[/name_u] I would fully embrace this and add [name_u]John[/name_u] onto your UC. Either as a double barrel name or on his own with a fun middle name. [name_u]John[/name_u] is just so lovely :white_heart:

1 Like

i love your suggestions of john nash, john foster, easton john, parker john, declan john, and wilder john. theyā€™re all so rugged and fun. thank you! :mountain_snow:

1 Like

i absolutely agree :heart_eyes:

thank you for your input, tori, and your suggestions of john wyatt, john rivers, john wells, and riley john. i always forget about riley, but heā€™s really growing on me!

1 Like

I love [name_u]John[/name_u]! With your list, I would probably keep it as a middle or use a name like [name_u]John[/name_u] (love [name_u]Jackson[/name_u], [name_u]Jennings[/name_u], and Jones; theyā€™d be perfect) to honor your family. I also love to idea of [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Brooks[/name_u] and [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] (love the suggestion of [name_m]Shep[/name_m] for this). For more double names Iā€™d suggestā€¦
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Asa[/name_u]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Beckett[/name_u]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Dacre[/name_m]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Emmett[/name_u]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_u]John[/name_u] Silas/John [name_m]Sylas[/name_m]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Ryland[/name_m]
[name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Truett[/name_m]

For some ideas that could honor Johnā€¦
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m]
[name_u]Jonah[/name_u]
[name_u]Jax[/name_u]

[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Joanie[/name_f]

And some combos with [name_u]John[/name_u] as a middleā€¦
[name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u]
[name_u]Winslow[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u]
[name_m]Dacre[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u]
[name_u]Bridger[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u]
[name_u]Oakley[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u]
[name_u]Calloway[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u]

1 Like

hi!

john brooks is so lovely.

it reminds me of megā€™s beauā€™s name in little women (john brooke!)

love it!

1 Like

oh cute! i love this literary reference! thank you :white_heart: