Finlay/Finley which is masculine

Ok so various online sources are so conflicting.
[name_f]My[/name_f] partner has Scottish ancestry, his grandfather was Scottish and our surname is scottish and want to go with the traditional Scottish version of [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] for a boy ( his middle name) I am aware it’s now used as a unisex name but want to use the Scottish version of this name so which one is it lol?
I think [name_m]Findlay[/name_m] is the surname. Help.

I always think [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] is the more masculine spelling personally.

1 Like

Thanks this is what I thought too.

Yes, I would agree that [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] seems more masculine.

1 Like

Much prefer on a boy. :full_moon_with_face:

I feel like [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] is more masculine, but I see both [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] and [name_u]Finley[/name_u] as masculine-type names

2 Likes

I like [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] a lot and it looks masculine to me

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Finley[/name_u] - I feel like [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] may also be auto corrected and spelled wrong a lot

I realize that [name_u]Finley[/name_u]/Finlay is being used for girls, but both read boy to me, especially as a way to the popular boy name [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. While the [name_u]Finley[/name_u] spelling feels more natural/obvious to me as someone in the US without knowledge of the Scottish background, I think you should pick the one you personally prefer.

They both look and feel completely masculine to me, but I personally prefer [name_u]Finlay[/name_u].

1 Like

They both feel masculine to me but because I do know a female [name_u]Finley[/name_u], I’ll say [name_u]Finlay[/name_u]!

1 Like

I much prefer both for boys. [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] might be more masculine tbh, but I definitely prefer [name_u]Finley[/name_u] because my brain wants to read [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] like fin-lay, not fin-lee.

1 Like

I also prefer both on boys, but if I saw a [name_u]Finley[/name_u] I’d think girl or boy, and if I saw [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] I’d think boy. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite spelling is [name_m]Findlay[/name_m]!

1 Like

Is the name originally a unisex name in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f]? I grew up with a female [name_u]Finley[/name_u] in the 80s.

In [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] it is predominantly male. I think in [name_u]America[/name_u] it started to become more unisex.

1 Like

Seems I’m the odd one out, but [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] reads more feminine to me and [name_u]Finley[/name_u] masculine. But both are solidly unisex.

Are you in the states? Because in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] it’s quite rare for a girl to be named [name_u]Finley[/name_u]/Finlay.

I prefer [name_u]Finley[/name_u] just looks better in my eyes the ‘a’ seems odd

Yes, I’m in the Midwest! Unisex names are very popular here, and I know of at least one little girl named [name_u]Finley[/name_u]. No boys.

1 Like

Ah right. strange