finley really #722 in popularity????

ok…still searching for a boy’s name for our LO due in july. no, we don’t know the gender yet. but our girl name is maisie anne. i’m sick of looking at our boy short list. finley has always been a name i love. but for some reason i thought it was a LOT more popular than it is. is it really listed at #722 like nameberry says??? i’ve seen finley mentioned so often on here and baby boards i just honestly thought it would in the #100’s at least. also, do you think finley has gone to the girls since it’s ranked in the #500’s for girls? does it “go” with DS beckett? thanks!

I would guess that it may be more or less popular depending on where you are, but [name]Finley[/name] itself is indeed only ranked at 722 in the US(but climbing!). I would have thought it was more popular as well, but I think it’s being brought up a lot because [name]Finn[/name] has been skyrocketing and is up in the 300s now, and despite its long history of use a lot of parents on here are looking for a way to “get to” [name]Finn[/name]. There are also a number of variations- I know a [name]Findley[/name] (like the Canadian author) and I’ve seen [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Findlay[/name]. Still, it’s no [name]Ethan[/name] or [name]Jacob[/name].

I think it’d be fine with [name]Beckett[/name]. :slight_smile:

As for “going to the girls” I think the boys still hold most of the “[name]Fin[/name]” names and I see this as being less of a problem than it was in generations past. If it’s really going to bother you, you may have to reconsider, but it’s still all boy to me.

Yea, it’s perfect with [name]Beckett[/name]! I think [name]Finley[/name] has gotten more attention recently because a couple of celebrities have used it for their girls - [name]Angie[/name] [name]Harmon[/name] has a [name]Finley[/name] [name]Faith[/name], [name]Lisa[/name] [name]Marie[/name] [name]Presley[/name] has a [name]Finley[/name] [name]Aaron[/name] [name]Love[/name] (twin sister to [name]Harper[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Ann[/name]), and [name]Daniel[/name] [name]Baldwin[/name] has a [name]Finley[/name] [name]Rae[/name] Martineau. I wouldn’t say it has quite gone to the girls, though!

You might consider [name]Findlay[/name] for a slightly more masculine spelling - that’s my dog’s name, actually! We call him [name]Fin[/name]…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I don’t think [name]Finley[/name]‘s gone to the girls quite yet, and I’d be surprised if it does. I was mad at Glee for ruining [name]Quinn[/name] for boys, but I think they’re also keeping all the [name]Fin[/name]- names on the boys’ side. Nameberry has very different taste than the general population (you don’t see too many people here considering [name]Isabella[/name] or [name]Jacob[/name]) and the SSA doesn’t count alternative spellings, like pps mentioned- [name]Finlay[/name], [name]Findley[/name], and [name]Findlay[/name] all sound virtually the same but they’re counted as seperate names. But then there are other similar names as well- [name]Finnegan[/name], [name]Finian[/name], [name]Flynn[/name], [name]Quinn[/name], and [name]Finn[/name] itself are counted seperately. So I’d guess (though I haven’t actually tried it) that if you added them all up it would put the family somewhere around the 300s. So still comfortably uncommon, and I think it’s a perfect match for [name]Beckett[/name].