Finley with Fiona?

We chose the name [name]Fiona[/name] for our daughter but [name]Finley[/name] was a close 2nd. Now we are expecting a boy and I am stuck on the name [name]Finley[/name], I really love it (even better with a boy for the nickname [name]Finn[/name]). So my concern is that these names are too similar, they have the same root, essentially the same meanings and probably sound way to close to be siblings. I need an honest outside opinion. What do you think of [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Finley[/name]?

I love your daughter’s name! It would be too close for me, especially with [name]Fin[/name] and Fion being so close, but if it doesn’t bother you and you don’t think you’ll confuse their names when saying them together (ie: Fionly and Finla), that’s what matters.

Have you thought about using [name]Griffin[/name]? It has [name]Finley[/name]'s feel, and you’ll be able to call him [name]Finn[/name] or [name]Griffin[/name].

In case you’re still searching for names, you may like:

[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Kellan[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name] (although it has [name]Fiona[/name]'s long O sound)
[name]Sullivan[/name] (nn [name]Sully[/name], which has [name]Finley[/name]'s ending sound)
[name]Tate[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I agree with [name]Jill[/name]. [name]Finley[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] sound very similar. But in the end, it really comes down to what you prefer.

Here are some other ideas that sound similar to [name]Finley[/name] or have similar qualities:

[name]Hadley[/name]
[name]Leeland[/name]
[name]Hayden[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Wylie[/name]

[name]Jill[/name]'s idea of [name]Griffin[/name] is great! Then you still get that “fin” sound. Also love her idea of [name]Sullivan[/name] because it ends in “van” which sounds similar to “fin”. “V” is very similar to “F”.
[name]Corbin[/name] would be really fun - it ends in “bin”. And means raven which is so fun.

I’ve noticed that I love the sound “seb” or “sab”. My son’s middle name is [name]SEBastian[/name] and my daughter’s middle name is [name]EliSABeth[/name]. I love names that have that sound:
[name]Sabrina[/name], and that’s all I can think of, but I also love [name]Tabitha[/name]. “[name]Tab[/name]” is a similar sound. Also love [name]GABriel[/name]. I bet if I thought about it, I would love [name]ZEBedee[/name]. It’s funny, I never loved [name]DEBorah[/name], but I often don’t like the sound of "d’. Exceptions are [name]Daniel[/name] and [name]Daphne[/name]. I think I actually love [name]Deborah[/name], I just don’t like [name]Debbie[/name] at all.

What I’m saying is if you love f, i, and n, use them, but try to think of a name that isn’t as matchy with [name]Fiona[/name] because when your kids get older and they’re having a fight as kids sometimes do, you’re going to have a hard time firmly saying their names to get them to stop. Or what if they’re running down the aisles of the grocery store? Or what about the poor elderly people in your family? They’re going to have a hard time with [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Finley[/name] or [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Finn[/name]. My m-i-l can barely remember my daughter’s. It helps that it was her mother’s name, I think.

I love the idea of [name]Griffin[/name]! But if you really love [name]Finley[/name], why don’t you use it as a mn? I think it would make a great middle for a lot of names, and then you’d get to use the name you love without the sibling confusion.

I do think that [name]Finley[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] are too close, but I’d go for [name]Griffin[/name] if it’s one you like.

i’m gonna be the odd man out here because i really like them together…
they are a little matchy… but i think it works.
If you love [name]Finley[/name], use it… it’s a wonderful name…
and you’ll get your kids names confused no matter what… my mom was constantly calling me by my sister’s name and [name]Rachel[/name] isn’t even close to Calisse… so to each her own…

It’s very close for me - I think of [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Jane[/name] of old - maybe new again, but [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Fee[/name], sort of a precious pair. I agree if you still love it, consider it in the middle. Usually, I would say 2 doesn’t yet set a pattern with initials, but in this case, it sets up limits to naming a possible 3rd child, either in theme or deliberately way different, neither of which seems like the better way to go.

I think they sound wonderful together! My son is [name]Finley[/name], and [name]Fiona[/name] would have been a consideration for me, but we are having another boy. I love the combo!

Thanks for all the great replies. I like a lot of the suggestions and hadn’t considered many of them before. My sister in law is due in [name]December[/name] and they have chosen [name]Griffin[/name] for the name. It didn’t even occur to me that [name]Fin[/name] was a great nickname for them (how clueless of me)! I will have to investigate more to see what they are thinking of using. I would be sad to give up [name]Fin[/name] entirely so we will need to see how we can work it in. We have been much more discrete about our name choices with family and friends so it’s great to have a place to get feedback from experts that doesn’t come with all the family baggage and inconsiderate questions/comments. Nameberry is fabulous, thank you!

I agree [name]Finley[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] are too close. I second the suggestions of [name]Rowan[/name] or [name]Tate[/name] instead.

I can see why they are too close, but I love the name [name]Fiona[/name]. Does she go by [name]Fiona[/name]? It is gorgeous!

I feel compelled to tell you that [name]Findlay[/name] (a variant of [name]Finley[/name]) is my dog’s name. We call him [name]Fin[/name], Finny, [name]Fin[/name]-[name]Fin[/name], and, I must admit, occasionally Muffin…so, I wouldn’t use [name]Finley[/name] for MY son, especially if another family member was using [name]Griffin[/name].

[name]Fiona[/name] is Scottish. What about choosing another Scottish name for your son and making [name]Finley[/name] his middle name? Here are some cute ones:

[name]Brody[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Cameron[/name]
[name]Iain[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Lennox[/name]
[name]Mackenzie[/name]
[name]Ross[/name]

If it were me, I’d choose [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Lennox[/name] because they both happen to be names I adore! Good luck to you!