Finn or Charlie

Having our second son soon. Thought we had agreed on a name [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], big brother is [name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_u]Joseph[/name_u], he’s 3 years old and he keeps calling the baby [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and says he loves it so much and doesn’t like any other name haha he gets annoyed when we suggest anything else :joy:. I like [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] too but my partner likes [name_u]Finn[/name_u] better. What would you guys choose out of [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] or [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]?

4 Likes

finn & henry are a great sibset, and i love finn alexander! i don’t think it makes sense to choose charlie just because your son wants you to, especially since your partner prefers finn and you both agree on it

3 Likes

Honestly, I think letting little [name_u]Henry[/name_u] name the baby is kind of adorable. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] [name_u]Finn[/name_u] is just as cute, but I’d probably choose [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] personally.

But if you and your partner agree more on [name_u]Finn[/name_u] then your little boy will move on and most likely forget lol.

4 Likes

Yeah I love [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]! [name_m]Just[/name_m] thought it was cute how much [name_u]Henry[/name_u] loves the name [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] haha but he is only 3 so he would get over it. I asked him why he doesn’t like [name_u]Finn[/name_u] and he said because it’s a short name :joy: funny little thing. [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] is one of my favourite names too though, my partner likes it too but doesn’t like the nicknames associated with it (chuck, chucky, chaz).

1 Like

Yeah I thought it was adorable too, he’s telling all his friends his brother is called [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] :joy: he gets mad at us when we say no it isn’t haha. But he is only 3 so he would get over it.

If it’s any comfort, I don’t think anyone would default to those NNs these days!

1 Like

Honestly? [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]! I love [name_u]Finn[/name_u], too, but [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] already sounds great with [name_u]Henry[/name_u], and with such a story, it pushes it over the edge! Henry’s right, in my opinion–Charlie is fantastic.

1 Like

I would stick with Finn honestly. When I was pregnant with my third my older two aged 3 and 2 at the time wouldn’t stop referring to the baby as Frost I was really thinking that it wouldn’t have to be a nickname because I couldn’t see how they would ever accept any other name because of such determination…… but baby came and Frost just became an imaginary friend that now nearly two years later is a distant memory altogether.

ETA: an interesting compromise to “your dilemma” could be Finley Alexander…. Finley would still easily get you the nn Finn which avoids nn’s Charlie could lead to. But also lengthens Finn and is audibly similar to Charlie with the last syllable.

2 Likes

Yes this! I also personally prefer Charlie Alexander, but Finn is a great choice too

1 Like

[name_u]Charlie[/name_u] is lovely but I prefer [name_u]Finn[/name_u], generally and with [name_u]Henry[/name_u]. It is sweet though that your son feels so strongly about his baby brother being called [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]! Would two middle names be a possibility? [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]? I actually think this is a great compromise! Ultimately though, I think you need to go with the name you and your husband like best; if he doesn’t like [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] as much, then there’s your answer.

1 Like

[name_u]Charlie[/name_u] is a nice name too, but I reckon stick with [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. Perhaps a pet named [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]

I prefer [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] :slight_smile: I’d stick with your choice for now -kids do go off things quickly. (You could get [name_u]Henry[/name_u] a little toy/doll around the time baby is born and call it [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] if he’s still upset about it?)

1 Like

I love [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], so i would choose [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m].

I actually think [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] would be great
It flows well and doesnt feel like a lot and everyone would be happy

Ahhh bless [name_u]Henry[/name_u]!

Personally I do prefer [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] to [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] however I do see the appeal with letting big brother choose your little ones name. I actually really love @Alix2016 post it’s so relatable and honest just represents mum life in a nutshell also I think [name_u]Finley[/name_u] is a gorgeous compromise between the two names.

Both names are superb so I don’t think there is a wrong answer ! I think [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] or [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] [name_u]Finn[/name_u] would be just darling and I love that it incorporates [name_u]Henry[/name_u] and his opinion !

[name_f]My[/name_f] 4 year old would name a sibling goober if he had an option !

1 Like

Aw, that’s so cute! I wouldn’t let Henry’s choice override your husband’s (since it sounds like you’d be equally happy with either name), but in your place I’d try to include [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] in the name somehow (but only if both parents also agree!):
[name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] (or Charles)
[name_u]Or[/name_u] as a second middle name if [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is settled on.

Sounds like [name_u]Henry[/name_u] will be a great big brother!

Thanks everyone! I do like [name_u]Finley[/name_u] and think it’s a good compromise as has a similar sound to [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] but has the [name_u]Finn[/name_u] nickname. Partner doesn’t like it though, he likes [name_u]Finn[/name_u] as a stand alone name.

[name_u]Henry[/name_u] still won’t let go of the [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] name, he’s so set on it. It’s so sweet that he feels so strongly to it. But he has also suggested Goggles as a name so I know I can’t take him too seriously when he’s only 3 haha

1 Like

[name_u]Finn[/name_u] much better than [name_u]Finley[/name_u].

I like both, but [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] is my favourite. It’s so adorable! I would definitely go for [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: That’s really cute of your other son btw! :laughing:
Xx