Fiona or Veronica??

My hubby and I get to find out next week what the sex of our baby is…but I am having a hard time being patient! If it’s a boy we are still thinking [name]Felix[/name] [name]Newton[/name], and we were thinking [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] for a girl. But today I started thinking about my husband’s old favorite, [name]Veronica[/name].

What do you think are the image and style differences in these two names? I can’t decide which would fit better into our family…

I like [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] by a long shot. I adore the name [name]Fiona[/name]…I picture a cute, spunky little girl that has a heart of gold. For some reason, [name]Veronica[/name] is very 1980s to me. It is a beautiful name (in sight and sound), but it just seems dated to me. And no offense to all the [name]Veronica[/name]'s out there, I picture [name]Veronica[/name] as being prissy and snobby (this is probably due to personal associations, though :wink: )

I prefer [name]Fiona[/name] more than [name]Veronica[/name]. [name]Fiona[/name] has a romantic air to it with a playful spirit. [name]Veronica[/name] is ok but for me and numerous other people, it will be forever associated with the raven-haired character in the [name]Archie[/name] comic books. I was always secretly hoping that the more down-to-earth [name]Betty[/name] would win [name]Archie[/name]'s love. [name]Both[/name] are good names whichever you choose. Best wishes!

I like them both. I’m probably odd but I like them even for sisters. They both seem very lively and spunky names.

I prefer [name]Fiona[/name], as other posters mentioned it has a spunky, energetic feel to it. It also sounds fresher—has fewer associations.

Thanks guys! I do worry about [name]Veronica[/name] being seen as prissy and snobby… It might also be a little too sexy… a la [name]Veronica[/name] [name]Lake[/name]. My Dad got me questioning [name]Fiona[/name] because he thinks it sounds “low class and hickish.” He of course associates the name with [name]Lyle[/name] [name]Lovett[/name]'s song “One Eyed [name]Fiona[/name].” I keep telling him that hardly anyone knows that song…

The other thing I keep hearing about the name [name]Fiona[/name] is that it makes them think of the Ogre from Shrek. I don’t want people to think of an Ogre when they hear my daughter’s name! :?

I’ll always think of [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Apple[/name], but I have always liked [name]Fiona[/name]. It’s not quite my style but it’s almost there. While I don’t think the name’s got any class associations, I understand being worried about it. I’ve been worrying about my #1 pick - [name]Meredith[/name] - because Nymbler keeps suggesting names based on it that are definitely associated with an underclass.

[name]Every[/name] [name]Veronica[/name] I’ve known in person has been a twat, FWIW.

Whistling girl- I love the name [name]Meredith[/name], I think it is very sophisticated and high class :slight_smile: I feel like I’m starting from scratch with my girl name now. [name]Fiona[/name] is still in the running… but I’ve been thinking a lot about other names. Hopefully on [name]Tuesday[/name] we will find out it’s a boy and then we will know it’s little [name]Felix[/name] [name]Newton[/name] in there!

I really prefer [name]Fiona[/name] to [name]Veronica[/name]. I agree that [name]Veronica[/name] sound dated. [name]Fiona[/name] is a wonderfully spunky name. I have never heard anyone else says that it sounds “low class and hickish.”
My favorite [name]Fiona[/name] connection is from a movie called The [name]Secret[/name] of [name]Roan[/name] Inish, set in [name]Ireland[/name]. The little girl is sweet, independent, curious, and adventurous.
And I get the same feeling about [name]Felix[/name]!

Good luck

Thanks kathleensl! I can’t wait to look up that movie! My grandparents are from [name]England[/name], but my Grandpa was actually born in [name]Ireland[/name]… so a cute little Irish [name]Fiona[/name] might be able to sway my family’s opinion :wink: