Fiona

I like this name but wonder if any associations (mainly Shrek) that linger with the name would possibly ruin it? What do you think of this name? [name]Do[/name] you you know anyone with the name? Any possible nicknames?

This is my good friend’s daughter’s name. She’s 1. Her mom and dad and I (and her big sister) all love the name! It suits her. There haven’t been issues with Shrek so far. There’s also a character on the TV show [name]Burn[/name] Notice, if that helps you to have another reference (she’s a good character…aggressive, but a “good guy”, and pretty). We all call her [name]Fee[/name] a lot. All good with the name so far!

I like [name]Fiona[/name] a lot! I personally don’t think of Shrek at all, maybe [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Apple[/name] a little bit. I do know 3 little girls with the name though so I think of them first. I think [name]Fifi[/name] might be a cute NN :slight_smile:

We have a [name]Fiona[/name] and I’ve said this many times on the boards. No one has made any Shrek references yet. I did get a few [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Apple[/name] ones though because she was popular during my teen years and my friends tend to think of her when they hear [name]Fiona[/name]. We [name]DO[/name] however get [name]Alice[/name] in Wonderland (and [name]Alice[/name] in Chains) comments about our other little girl. So you just never know what people will want to comment on when they hear a name for the first time.

We call our little [name]Fiona[/name] “Fi” or “[name]Fae[/name]” So happy with her name. It fits her so well and DH and I knew it was the perfect name when we came across it during my pregnancy. It created that “ah-ha” moment!

Oh, and I also wanted to mention that shows on Showtime seem to be obsessed with the name [name]Fiona[/name]. The name is in 3 current series. I watch two of the shows. Dr. [name]Fiona[/name] Wallice, played by [name]Lisa[/name] Kudrow – a self-obsessed and oblivious web-based therapist and [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Gallagher[/name], played by [name]Emmy[/name] Rossum – a troubled young gal who had to grow up too fast and has alot of responsibility for her many siblings. The last is in Nurse [name]Jackie[/name]. I believe [name]Fiona[/name] is the teenage daughter of the title character. [name]Don[/name]'t know much more about her.

I think [name]Fiona[/name] is a beautiful name and I know a couple little Fionas, so those are my associations.

I don’t really associate it with Shrek. I love the name [name]Fiona[/name]…it is one of the very few F names I like.

Like it a lot!

I love [name]Fiona[/name]. :slight_smile: Somethimes I think about the Shrek association, but it’s not a bad thing. There’s no way the ogre princess ruin the beauty of [name]Fiona[/name]. haha.

[name]Love[/name]! It’s our #1 choice right now. Shrek hasn’t ruined it for us, either.

I think [name]Fiona[/name] is great! I have never met one myself. I don’t think Shrek would be a problem. Its not like you are naming a child [name]Simba[/name] or anything.

Thank you everyone your comments helped alot since I just love the name.
@boyandgirl your comment made me laugh. :slight_smile:

I know two Fionas. [name]One[/name] is in her twenties and the other is eight years old. We call the eight year old [name]Fifi[/name].

It’s #1 on my list! Beautiful name.

I think with the Irish resurgence (5 people from my college class have boys named [name]Declan[/name]), I think you will be reasonably free of Shrek associations. [name]Lovely[/name] name.

I love [name]Fiona[/name]! And we’re probably far enough past Shrek for it to be really associated with it anymore honestly. And if you use it now, by the time she’s an adult, even further from that association.