First baby name stolen :(

I say still go with [name_f]Isla[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] cousin, born 8 weeks after me was given EXACTLY the same first name as me. [name_f]My[/name_f] mum was really upset at the time apparently as it was her first baby and so proud of the name they’d chosen. When my cousin was born 8 weeks later and given the same name, my aunt told the family that it was the name she’d planned on giving a daughter ever since she was child. The family accepted it and everyone moved on. As for me and my cousin, as kids we actually thought it was pretty cool that we shared the same name.

Since the name they’ve chosen isn’t identical to [name_f]Isla[/name_f] I say go with [name_f]Isla[/name_f] anyway. The cousins will probably like having similar names, the parents will get over it.

If you feel like you can’t go with [name_f]Isla[/name_f], have you considered [name_f]Eira[/name_f]? It’s a welsh name that means snow and is pronounced eye-ra. I think it’s really pretty and definitely shouldn’t be one that anyone else in your circle might use!

1 Like

I gave a bunch of suggestions earlier, but came back to say I completely agree with others that the first name I got when I searched this definitely doesn’t seem too close to [name_f]Isla[/name_f] for cousins. The name I had in mind was the name that starts with “L” and rhymes with [name_f]Isla[/name_f] (not writing any of these here since you didn’t!), which I can see might feel a bit too similar. But the name that came up seems perfectly fine to me–and honestly, even the one I had thought of could work. [name_f]My[/name_f] opinion doesn’t matter if you’re not comfortable with it, of course, but just wanted to add my voice to the [name_f]Isla[/name_f]-could-work camp in case you just need a little encouragement to go for it! :blush:

Oh no, that’s a bummer! I’m so sorry! I have a few names that have the same vibe as [name_f]Isla[/name_f], but are still different enough. Here they are:

Isa [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Isobel[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Ivanna[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Irene[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] (I love this one)
[name_u]Ivory[/name_u] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]

Names that don’t start with I, but are similar:

Elsa
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlette[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Ebony[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]

Though I’ve suggested what I think are good alternatives, I still think you should name her [name_f]Isla[/name_f]. You had the name picked out first, you are in love with it, and it’s such an adorable name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] go for it! Cousins have similar names all the time, so I don’t see the issue. I have cousins who are named [name_u]Jace[/name_u] and [name_m]Josh[/name_m] and it’s not weird at all. Good luck!

I’m so sorry! What about…

[name_f]Zara[/name_f]/Zahra
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_u]Indie[/name_u]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_u]Ember[/name_u]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
Lucy

So many good suggestions! Thankyou everyone,so grateful for so many beautiful suggestions!

They’ve picked [name_f]Ayla[/name_f], which when you search isla its the first alternative that comes up. I really feel set on [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and honestly would need something to blow me away to make me want to change my mind!

7 Likes

Ayla and [name_f]Isla[/name_f] are close indeed. I feel like you can still use [name_f]Isla[/name_f] as long as they have different nicknames that can differentiate when they’re together (like calling her [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] when her cousin is around or something). But if that still (understandable) bothers you, what about using [name_f]Isla[/name_f] in the middle? (first name) [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] (last name).

Other ideas:
[name_f]Calla[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Irena[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Elara[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Livia[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Talia[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]

I don’t know if this has been suggested but what about [name_f]Lila[/name_f]? [name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] is absolutely adorable and just different enough from [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] (which I’m assuming rhymes with [name_f]Kayla[/name_f]) that I don’t think it would be a problem.

With that being said though [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] & [name_f]Isla[/name_f] are very close and I’d never recommend them for siblings, for cousins however I think it could work. So if that’s truly what you love I’d say go for it.

And just to put it in perspective a bit. I was/am pretty close with my cousins and growing up in a small town with a large family (there were 10 of us cousins in high school at the same time) there are definitely some similar and even repeated names (we have 3 Michelle’s) and it never caused a problem and as adults we live such separate lives it’s really not an issue. So personally I think similar names among cousins is no big deal

I think you should still use [name_f]Isla[/name_f]!
I have cousins named [name_f]Krista[/name_f] and [name_f]Trista[/name_f] (also cousins, not sisters) who are close in age, and it has never been an issue.
If you’re worried, you could always use a nickname or her first & middle together when around your brother’s family.

I also agree with a pp, this is a name she will have for the rest of her life. She may not be super close with her cousin once they’re teenagers or adults. If this is the name you want her to have, you should go for it.

Isla is a beautiful choice, by the way!!

I think it would be fine to use [name_f]Isla[/name_f]. If it bothers you though here are some suggestions.
[name_f]Myla[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Kyla[/name_f]/Kyler
[name_f]Calla[/name_f]
[name_f]Lula[/name_f]
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f]
[name_f]Delia[/name_f]
[name_f]Isola[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
Good luck!

If this were me, I think I would still go for [name_f]Isla[/name_f]! It depends on your comfort level, of course, but while [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] and [name_f]Isla[/name_f] are similar I don’t think it’s a big deal for cousins. As @luneth and @regionlatbest suggested, you could always use something like [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] (which is adorable anyway!) when you’re all together. I also love @LibelluleClaire’s suggestion of [name_f]Lila[/name_f], which goes beautifully with [name_u]Jean[/name_u] and is a little more different from your niece’s name. Good luck! :blush:

1 Like

I also suggest sticking with your original name. I don’t know your family, but, in my experience, family relationships tend to wax and wane over the years. Sometimes a family member that you think will be around a whole lot will end up moving or something and the kids having close names won’t be as big of a deal as you imagine.

[name_f]My[/name_f] brother had his second child within months of our cousin having her first child. We all got together often during the first year or so and the two kids have a ton of adorable baby pictures together… But now there have been changes in family dynamics and there’s been issues between my brother and cousin so the kids don’t know each other at all (I don’t even think they would remember the other’s name, if I asked - They are currently 6). It’s sad, but they aren’t my kids so I stay out of it…

Or, another person commented, they could be really great friends and bond over having similar names! That is adorable!

I’d give it a couple weeks to consider some other names… But if you don’t fall in love with a different name, the way you fell in love with [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u], just go for it :heart:

1 Like

What about…

Alodia/Elodie [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Adelheid[/name_f]/Adelaide [name_u]Jean[/name_u] (nn: [name_f]Adele[/name_f], [name_u]Del[/name_u], [name_f]Heidi[/name_f])
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]/Maisie [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Honora[/name_f]/Nora [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Theresa[/name_f]/Thérèse [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]/Diane [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]/Betty [name_u]Jean[/name_u]

LMK what you think!!

Oh how tragic!! I’m so sorry!! Maybe:

Imogen
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
Inette
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Katerina[/name_f]
[name_f]Gisela[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Laela[/name_f]
[name_f]Angelica[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Ayla[/name_f] (pronounced “[name_f]Isla[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Kayla[/name_f]” without the “K”)
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]

I don’t know you style, so I hope you like some of my ideas. Still, though, I think you don’t necessarily have to give up the name, and it might even be fun for your daughter to share a name with her cousin. And you did have the idea first…

Welcome to name berry and I wish you all the best of luck.