First Impressions of a few names

There are a few names that I’ve had on my list forever, but I’m curious how they’ll be received.

1. [name]Lyra[/name]- this name has always been close to my heart. What I am wondering is how you would pronounce it and what, if any, associations you have with the name.

2. [name]Linnea[/name]- again, I know the pronunciation is hard to pin down, but please let me know how you first read it.

3. [name]Otelia[/name]- this is a family name–one that I’m quite attached to-- but I wonder how people will receive it. Does it seem made-up? Also, I was wondering about nicknames. I seem to like L names, so [name]Lia[/name] would work, but I also wondered about [name]Tilly[/name], is that a stretch?

4. [name]Patience[/name]- this is new to the mix but it really hit me hard. It is an old family name on my husband’s side and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. [name]Patience[/name] [name]Parker[/name]. It was so beautiful. It has opened me up to the world of Puritan naming (next stop, [name]Lazarus[/name]). Though I do have my concerns 1) The -s ended blends into our last name Stevens. I don’t want people to think her name is Patien Stevens or [name]Patience[/name] Tevens. Also 2) I worry about nicknames. I strongly dislike (bordering on loathing) the name [name]Patty[/name] or [name]Pat[/name], and I’m worried if I don’t come up an alternative, that will be her default nickname. I was wondering about the nn [name]Patie[/name] (like [name]Katie[/name] with a P). Normally, I would cringe away from such an invention, but it is growing on me, and if it would allow me to use [name]Patience[/name], I would definitely do it. If someone introduced themselves to you as [name]Patie[/name], would you understand or just think that you misheard them?

These names are very important to me, and all have special meanings that I would be happy to bestow on our children, but I also know how important others’ reactions are, and I just would like to know what they are. Thanks!

At first glance I pronounce [name]Lyra[/name] “Lie-ra” but then I think no “Lear-a”…thats a confusing one for me.
[name]Linnea[/name] - “[name]Lynn[/name]-nay-a”? I like the look of this name and if I’m saying it correctly I like the sound as well.
[name]Otelia[/name] - “Aw-tel-leah”? Pretty and unique.
[name]Patience[/name] - very pretty I would worry about the nn too maybe it would be best as a middle? :slight_smile:

[name]Lyra[/name]- I pronounce it LEER-uh, but I could see LYE-ruh, too, although I prefer the first one. I really like it.

[name]Linnea[/name]- I love it! I pronounce it [name]Lin[/name]-AY-uh

[name]Otelia[/name]- I’d pronounce it Oh-TELL-yuh. It’s okay.

[name]Patience[/name]- [name]Patience[/name] is okay. It does make me think of the Puritans. I think [name]Patie[/name] could be cute as a nickname.

1. [name]Lyra[/name]- This name is one of my favorites too! I pronounce Lye-ra actually the pronunciation [name]Lee[/name]-ra has never occured to me

2. [name]Linnea[/name]- I pronounce it [name]Lin[/name]-AY-ah

3. [name]Otelia[/name]- I think this is a beautiful name, especially since it is a family name, if I’m pronouncing this correctly (like [name]Ophelia[/name] with a ‘t’) I think [name]Lia[/name], and [name]Tillie[/name] are both natural nicknames, not a stretch at all :slight_smile:

4. [name]Patience[/name]- This is another one of my faves! Though for me if I heard the name ‘[name]Patie[/name]’ I would think I misheard them, sorry. Maybe [name]Enna[/name] or [name]Asha[/name] (pr. with a long A sound)? both of them are kind of a stretch

From your list my favorite with your last name would be [name]Lyra[/name] it flows well and is sweet, feminine, and unique!

[name]Lyra[/name]: I pronounce it [name]Lyra[/name], which I think is a lot prettier than ‘leera’. It’s a lovely name, and I like the mythological astronomy connection.

[name]Linnea[/name]: I love [name]Linnea[/name]! I definitely pronounce it ‘linn-AY-a’. I’ve know few, and they all pronounce it that way. -

[name]Otelia[/name]: I think it’s pretty, but I much prefer variants [name]Odelia[/name], [name]Odilia[/name], [name]Ottilie[/name], [name]Ottilia[/name]. My first thought on pronunciation was ‘oh-TEE-lia’. [name]Tilly[/name] would for sure work as a nickname, though it wouldn’t be my first choice.

1. [name]Patience[/name]: I’ve never liked [name]Patience[/name]. I’m not fond of any virtue names, really, but [name]Patience[/name] is one of my least favorite. I don’t like the sound, for one thing, but most of all, it sounds like a command-- “patience!”. It’s just too much of a word for me, and not an attractive one at that. Of course, this is just my personally opinion, and I’m sure it’s a perfectly fine name. I wouldn’t use it with Stevens, since it sounds like “Patient Stevens”. For nicknames, you could use [name]Patia[/name], [name]Pia[/name]…[name]Patie[/name] seems like it would be confused with [name]Katie[/name] most of the time.

I love [name]Lyra[/name] and [name]Linnea[/name], and like [name]Otelia[/name]. You can’t really go wrong with any of them, though!

. [name]Lyra[/name]- i know a 3 year old and a 4 month old named [name]Lyra[/name] pronounced Leer-ah. I thought the girls were named after the italian money (before euro) the lire’s. As I had assumed [name]Lyra[/name] was pronounced Lie-ra.

1. [name]Linnea[/name]- To me this name sounds to close to the spanish word for line

2. [name]Otelia[/name]- This name is nice people will probably ask u to say it more than once but they will like it.

3. [name]Patience[/name]- very pretty old fashion only problem in the nn

1. [name]Lyra[/name]- I pronounce this leer-uh. I share your love for this name, though i do have the fear of people pronouncing it lie-ruh. The “leer” part recently started standing out to me as well, which bothers me, but overall, I do love this name. It’s beautiful.

2. [name]Linnea[/name]- All I can see from this name is the Spanish word l”nea, meaning line.

3. [name]Otelia[/name]- I don’t think [name]Tilly[/name] is too much of a stretch. I’m undecided on my feeling about the name [name]Otelia[/name], but I didn’t feel an instant dislike. Using [name]Tilly[/name] as a nn would be nice and fun, then [name]Otelia[/name] can be relied on for a more professional sound.

4. [name]Patience[/name]- 1) Usually I would be wary of using names that blend together, but I think you could get away with this. [name]Patience[/name] is such a familiar word and Stevens is a last name you’d hear of, rather than Tevens, so I think [name]Patience[/name] Stevens would be correctly understood. 2) I would probably have someone repeat her name if it were [name]Patie[/name], but I don’t think it would be bad after that. This may be a stretch, but what about [name]Tia[/name] as a nickname?

Thank you all for your responses. It makes me a little worried that [name]Lyra[/name] is split basically in half for pronunciations. That means no matter which is right, she’ll still be pronouncing it for half the people she meets. I have done a lot of research into the name (because it is my favorite) and it is pronounced Lie-ruh. It is the name of the constellation shaped like a lyre and based in the Greek mythology of [name]Orpheus[/name]’ lyre. I do see the reason for the other pronunciation, but according to every source I’ve found [name]Lyra[/name] pronounced in English is Lie-ruh.

[name]Linnea[/name] seems to be the best one, in general. You all have the pronunciation right which is funny because this is the one where the two pronunciations are both correct. You have [name]Lin[/name]-NAY-uh, or [name]LINN[/name]-ee-ah. [name]Both[/name] are correct, though the former is more general and the latter is very Scandinavian. Personally, I use [name]Lin[/name]-NAY-uh. It was my great grandmother’s middle name and I have always felt a connection with her for some reason. This is our number one girl name and I’m glad so many of you like it.

I pronounce [name]Otelia[/name] as Oh-TEE-lee-uh (4 syllables). It is also from my Swedish side and I like it a lot. I think it has potential as a middle name.

[name]Patience[/name] is still in the air. It makes me feel better to hear that people wouldn’t hear [name]Patience[/name] Tevens, and you’re right, they are both recognizable names that I don’t think anyone would confuse them. However, it is still a little problem to me that it makes them harder to say together. It is almost like you have to pause between them which is a bit awkward. I’m still giving [name]Patie[/name] some thought. I think it could be cute, or it could completely bomb, and there is no telling which it will be.

Thank you so much for your help. I can use as much feedback as possible. If anyone else would like to weigh in, we’re also considering:

[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]

If you could give me any more names like these, or combinations, I would love to hear it. Thanks!

1. [name]Lyra[/name] - I would pronounce it LEYE-ra (as in ‘eye’ the body part), which I believe is correct. I think of the constellation and the heroine of [name]Philip[/name] Pullman’s Northern Lights trilogy. I think this is a lovely, simple but beautiful name.

2. [name]Linnea[/name] - [name]LINN[/name]-ee-a. If I’m honest, the idea of this one is nice, but I find it sounds almost dated to me, probably because of the [name]Lin[/name]- beginning - it reminds me of names such as [name]Annette[/name]. Not horrifically dated, at all, but something about it just leaves me feeling a bit blank about it. I can’t get over the fact it sounds exactly like linear, the word, too.

3. [name]Otelia[/name] - I think [name]Tilly[/name] (adorable) would definitely work as this name seems like it was a variant of [name]Ottilie[/name] at one time. I think it is gorgeous, and no, I wouldn’t say it seems like it’s made up in the same way that, say, [name]Gracelyn[/name] does. It seems like a variation of [name]Ottilie[/name] which was perhaps invented during the Victorian era, much like other elaborations of the time. This is such a pretty name.

4. [name]Patience[/name] - I adore virtue names, and this one just has such a lovely, calm, soft sound to it. As both [name]Patience[/name] and Stevens are easily recognisable names, I wouldn’t let the blending issue stop you if this is your favourite name, as I don’t think too many people will make that mistake. However, if you are trying to choose between this one and another of your favourites, it could be a deciding factor against [name]Patience[/name]. As the name is short and very easy to say, I actually don’t think that she would need a nn. Otherwise, a nn related to her middle name, or which naturally forms and is unrelated to her actual name (as many nicknames often are) could be used. If someone introduces themselves as something, especially something simple and easy to say like [name]Patience[/name], people won’t generally try to nickname them (apart from supply teachers, who always do it …). I would understand someone if they introduced themselves as [name]Patie[/name], but to be honest I don’t think it’s lovely. Also, she might get a lot of “What, [name]Katie[/name]/Petie?” from people who are more conservative/deaf/rude!

[name]Otelia[/name] is my favourite, closely followed by [name]Patience[/name], but [name]Lyra[/name] is nice, too.

[name]Auburn[/name]

Sorry, I missed your second post!

[name]Audrey[/name] - quite popular, but nice.
[name]Beatrice[/name] - refined, soft and vintage - perfect! Possible nn [name]Bea[/name] or [name]Bibi[/name]?
[name]Charlotte[/name] - the full name is a nice classic, although for some reason I’ve never loved it, but I do adore the nn [name]Lottie[/name]. Also the mannish [name]Chuck[/name] would be so quirky on a little girl.
[name]Cordelia[/name] - a lovely name which flows off the tongue. The nn [name]Cora[/name] is nice, too, although you could also use [name]Delia[/name] or just [name]Lia[/name].
[name]Jane[/name] - a lovely classic, but I must say that compared to some of your other favourites it does seem a little … plain.
[name]Sylvie[/name] - so adorable, and such a beautiful name. I think [name]Sylvia[/name] nn [name]Sylvie[/name] would age better, but still, lovely.

Combinations which make me happy :
[name]Otelia[/name] [name]Patience[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name].

[name]Auburn[/name]

I think [name]Linnea[/name] [name]Patience[/name] is a really pretty combination!!

Well, I like [name]Lyra[/name]. I mentioned it to my husband as an option and he said it sounds like a currency. Actually, it is no longer a currency as [name]Italy[/name] has gone to the Euro. So it is an old Italian currency.

[name]Linnea[/name] I don’t like because it reminds me of ‘[name]Linea[/name] Negra’, the dark line you get on your belly when you are pregnant. But that’s just me!

Out of your four choices, I think [name]Linnea[/name] is certainly the most beautiful! Paired with [name]Charlotte[/name] it becomes even more fabulous in my opinion :o)

xo [name]Sheridan[/name]