First Name Change?

Have you or anyone you know changed first names? I’m personally considering it; I just don’t feel like my name. It’s [name_f]Kaleigh[/name_f], pronounced like [name_f]Callie[/name_f], but I get called [name_f]Kaylee[/name_f] all. The. Time. I’m so tired of it and correcting people. I don’t even like it that much.

I’m a very gentle spirit (unless someone hurts someone or something I love, etc) and quite feminine, so I’m looking for something that fits me better. I’ve been thinking maybe [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] or something? I’m still in high school, so I’d most likely change it the summer before college.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience on the subject or feels the same way.

Not me, but I used to have a classmate who changed her name. She did it when she was around 19, if I remember correctly, second year of university. Everyone knew she dislike her original name. I was a bit surprised because I didn’t expect her to actually change it, but we all had zero trouble adjusting, especially since she chose something that starts with the same letter and kept her nickname. It helped, but I don’t think it’s necessary at all. If it’s [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] that you love, go with it. I think the transition would be even easier than my friend’s, as you want to change it before college. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the input! I’ll have to wait a year to actually change anything, but I’m very excited about it. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it won’t change anything about me, it kind of feels like a fresh, new start, a transition between two important times in my life. However, I might use my name now as my middle name so I don’t have to completely part with it, as I am somewhat fond of it only since I’ve had it forever. Plus, my parents love it, so it’s sort of a compromise. :smiley:

Hi,sorry I missed your thread earlier. I have changed my given names. My reasons were different to yours. It’s about ten years since I took that step but I would be happy to discuss any queries you have which I may be able to help with. Please P.M. me if you feel comfortable too. I have no worries about discussing any issues but Nameberry have heard my stories more times than they need to I am sure so I would prefer to talk one to one if it’s of benefit to you.
Whatever you decide I would say that from my experience and anyone else I have known who has taken this step are much happier. Especially, as @luneth says, if it’s done at a time when you are making a life change -in your case - off to College and many new people.
All the very best.
I_I_M.

I’m considering changing my first name, too, and I also see the appeal of it as a fresh start and a chance to begin anew. I’d say that if you think it would make you happy, and if the problem you’re trying to solve would be eliminated by a name change (which it would for you), you should definitely go for it. The most difficult part (at least for me) is choosing a new first name. (I have 2 months and even made a thread about it as a result of my time crunch and extreme desperation.) As you seem to already have a favorite, which sounds beautiful, I don’t think there’s anything keeping you from changing your name!

I completely forgot I made this thread because I didn’t have it notifying me, but thank you!! I’ve decided to put legal name change on the backburner for now and test it out (Starbucks orders, random people I meet but won’t continue to interact with, etc). I may even just give people a “nickname” in college since professors will ask for preferred names at the start and school emails can give multiple proxies so people can use my nickname or my real name to send emails for me to the same place. Plus no one will really know my OG name unless they ask or have seen official forms, so no immediate need for me to change it. Still haven’t completely landed on a name unfortunately, but I’ve been leaning toward short and sweet ([name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f], …)

Your new name is gorgeous, by the way! I’m obsessed with unique, “rare” names, they really make a person stand out.

I completely forgot I made this thread because I didn’t have it notifying me, but thank you!! I’ve decided to put legal name change on the backburner for now and test it out (Starbucks orders, random people I meet but won’t continue to interact with, etc). I may even just give people a “nickname” in college since professors will ask for preferred names at the start and school emails can give multiple proxies so people can use my nickname or my real name to send emails for me to the same place. Plus no one will really know my OG name unless they ask or have seen official forms, so no immediate need for me to change it. Still haven’t completely landed on a name unfortunately, but I’ve been leaning toward short and sweet ([name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f], …)

Your new name is gorgeous, by the way! I’m obsessed with unique, “rare” names, they really make a person stand out.

My mother was [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and changed her name to [name_f]Monica[/name_f], there were a couple of bumps in the road but she says it was worth it!

When my mother was becoming a christian she went to a monastery and a monk told her that her new name would be [name_f]Monica[/name_f] and that she would find out why later. About a year later she met my father and learned why a monk might name her after the patron saint of wives with overbearing husbands (they are still happily married 16 years later though!).

Some of my mother’s old friends still call her [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] but almost everybody calls her [name_f]Monica[/name_f] now :slight_smile:

[name_m]Just[/name_m] be true to yourself and pick a name with meaning to you!

[name_f]Theodora[/name_f], [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] and [name_f]Marcella[/name_f] are feminine names that though unusual I doubt people would have a hard time spelling. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] or [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] are also magnificent!

Good luck with your new name!