First ones middle for the 3rds ones first?

Hello, my wife has just had our 3rd beautiful baby girl and we are struggling for names. We love our first daughters middle name and have always wished we had saved it for a first. My question is, can we use it as a first name for our new baby or is it not really done??

I don’t think it is really done. That doesn’t mean it can’t be but it is strange and the child may want a more individual name. Maybe choose another form of the name, a similar name or the nickname?

I agree with hanbow that while it can be done, it is just seen as strange. I think choosing another form of the name as suggested by hanbow is a great idea!

What’s the name? Maybe we can help suggest a name that’s similar

I’m still annoyed w/my parents for giving me the feminine form of my (then 2 yr old) cousin’s name. Couldn’t they be original enough to give me my own name?? I wouldn’t do it.

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t do it. Let the new baby have a name that is completely her own. My ILs did this - named one [name_m]BIL[/name_m] with the other’s middle name - for a worthy but also stupid reason (had to do with honoring someone, they made a dumb mistake), and its pretty weird. It makes them seem careless, kwim?

Honestly, I don’t think it’s a big deal.

[name_m]How[/name_m] much older is your oldest? If she’ll be a sort of second mother/mentor to her sister I can see it being a sweet connection.

I agree that it also depends on the name. If it’s something that is a family name, no problem. If it’s really unique and special to you for reasons other than you just like it, that’s great too. If it’s something uber popular and common like [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and you just like it … well, then I might encourage you to keep searching.

My grandparents did this to my mum and her sister. My aunt’s middle name is [name_f]Anne[/name_f], and my mother’s is [name_f]Ann[/name_f]. My mum has always resented having the fact that my grandparents weren’t original enough to give her a separate name. I wouldn’t do it. Definitely go for a form of the middle name instead, or, a name with her name in it, if that’s possible. My grandparents also did this (they had 4 girls). My other aunts have [name_f]Mary[/name_f] + [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] for middle names.

I wouldn’t do it because I’d find it really unoriginal. And if I were the kid I’d be wondering why I didn’t get my “own name.”

Thanks for the help. The name is [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] so it can’t really be shortened but I think I agree that she diserves her own original name.

What about Iviana?