First thing you think of?

I really like the name [name]Petra[/name] but it reminds me of petrified. I used to like [name]Amity[/name] but I was told it reminded people of anarchy . What names have you encountered this problem with?

When I hear [name]Petra[/name], I think of the movie Ballet Shoes with [name]Emma[/name] [name]Watson[/name] in it. I’m pretty sure there’s a character with that name in it and she’s Russian, but even if there’s not, that’s what I think of :slight_smile: I used to like [name]Amity[/name] as well, but then my mom pointed out that she always thought of the horror movie when she heard it, so I moved onto [name]Verity[/name]

I think its a beautiful name. I don’t really think of petrified, actually.

I love [name]Petra[/name], reminds me of [name]Petri[/name] from [name]Land[/name] before Time and [name]Petra[/name] from the Chrysalids. I love [name]Amity[/name] too, but people think Amityville horror usually!
I can’t think of any names off the top of my head that I have had vetoed for that sort of reason but there have been plenty!!!

I love both [name]Petra[/name] and [name]Amity[/name]. I can see the ‘petrified’ (especially with the meanings) thing but ‘anarchy’ is so far off the mark for me (also especially with the meanings.)

I love [name]Beata[/name] but the majority of feedback I’ve gotten from English speakers is that all they see is [name]BEAT[/name] and don’t understand how the name would be pronounced any differently than [name]BEAT[/name]-a :confused: It’s still up on my list, though.

I adore [name]Petra[/name]. I don’t really have any other first impressions of it. Definitely not petrified like most people say.

I think [name]Petra[/name] is quite pretty - and don’t think I’ve ever thought of the name petrified. I had an RE teacher called [name]Petra[/name] who then became a vicar so I have quite pleasant connotations for me

I have a similar problem with the name [name]Violet[/name], it seems so popular at the moment and I like the colour and everything but all I can think of is that it’s only one letter away from the word violent :confused:

My immediate thought is petro, as in gasoline.

I think of [name]Petri[/name] from [name]Land[/name] Before Time, and Peeta from the Hunger Games.

When I hear [name]Petra[/name], I think of the [name]Christian[/name] rock band from my younger days. I quite like the name.

When I hear [name]Amity[/name], I think of Amityville Horror, so that has a negative association, unfortunately.

I like [name]Petra[/name] too, though some of the comments here point up the potential for pronunciation confusion – I think of it with a short e with, yes, a sound like “petrified,” though many assume it’s pronounced with a long e as in petri dish or Peeta from the Hunger Games or [name]Peter[/name].

The stone city in [name]Jordan[/name]

The birthplace of [name]Aphrodite[/name] in [name]Cyrus[/name]