Fitz as a first?

I love [name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m], [name_m]Fitzpatrick[/name_m], etc. but i find myself loving just plain [name_m]Fitz[/name_m].

Is it useable or ridiculous?

For me it sounds a bit like a name for a pet to be honest. It reminds me a lot of the [name_m]German[/name_m]/Austrian name [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] which is a short form of [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m].

Being honest, I hear and think fits, like having fits (temper tantrums). Sorry.

I agree with this. I was going to come in and say how much I love good old [name_m]Fitz[/name_m] all by itself, but I hadn’t thought of how it would sound to people who don’t really associate with it as a nickname for [name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m]/-patrick, [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m], etc. If you live in the US, I would not reommend using it.

I actually like [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] better than [name_m]Fitz[/name_m], as all I hear is fits too. But go with it if you like it :slight_smile: Maybe as a nickname?

[name_m]Fitz[/name_m] is a really cute NN. As a 'Legal" name, it’s entirely too precious. [name_m]Just[/name_m] one man’s opinion…

I like too many ties to [name_m]Fitz[/name_m] to really be impartial–[name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m] [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] is probably my favorite male lead character ever created, and I really love [name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Fitz[/name_m] in the new S.H.I.E.L.D. show on ABC (plus, I loved the character of [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m] [name_m]Grant[/name_m] “[name_m]Fitz[/name_m]” on Scandal!). I just love too many Fitzes. I don’t really like it on it’s own, but I think [name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m] is beyond cool. :slight_smile:

I love [name_m]Fritz[/name_m], but not loving [name_m]Fitz[/name_m]

[name_m]Fitz[/name_m] just means ‘son of’, so that’s how I translate it when I hear it. It’s ok as a nn, but I’d expect the father’s name to be part of the full first name.

Only as a nickname. I think a longer version is necessary because the name sounds too similar to the word “fits” (both temper tantrums or an epileptic fit)

is that [name_m]Fitz[/name_m] as a prefix referred to illegitimate children? Not sure if that is true.

To me, these names sound like BBC butlers. [name_m]Fitzpatrick[/name_m], bring me my horse. [name_m]Fitzsimmons[/name_m], draw my bath.

And [name_m]Fitz[/name_m], wow. I don’t think it is viable. It’s like naming a human being Fizz. Better for a soda.

There are some great F names out there, like [name_m]Fenton[/name_m] and [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] and [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] and [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]. Maybe one of those?