Floral Names For Boys: A Thread

Awhile back I did a thread on unusual or unexpected floral names for girls and have been wanting to do one for boys for awhile, but wasn’t finding the time to really sit down and compose.

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been looking through gardening and horticulture books for inspiration and now I’m finally ready to share my list.

Like with the last thread, everyone is welcome to respond with their favorites and any gems I might have missed.
Arum- another name for the calla lily.
Burdock
Cosmos
Dianthus- the masculine form of Diantha, this name is associated with multiple flowers in the carnation family, including sweet william. With names like [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] in popular use, this seems like a bold but very wearable choice.
[name_u]Foxglove[/name_u]- a romantic middle option.
Gladiolus
[name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m]
Hosta
[name_u]Hyacinth[/name_u]/ Hyacinthus
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u]
Ipheion- also called spring starflower, this plant is related to [name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f].
[name_f]Jonquil[/name_f]
Linseed- another name for flax flower.
[name_u]Lupin[/name_u]/ [name_u]Lupine[/name_u]
[name_u]Oleander[/name_u]
Phlox- could be mistaken for [name_u]Fox[/name_u], may be safest as a middle name option.
[name_u]Quince[/name_u]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]- many other linguistic variants of [name_f]Rose[/name_f] are commonly used as masculine or gender neutral names in their respective cultures and english [name_f]Rose[/name_f] feels like it could easily cross into neutral usage. Much like [name_u]James[/name_u] for girls, it could be a fresh gender code-swapped middle name. For fans of cottagecore type names, a combination like [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] could be very appealing.
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
Salal- [name_u]Sal[/name_u] seems like exactly the sort of short, sweet, vintage nickname that’s making a comeback like [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_u]Jem[/name_u], or [name_u]Cass[/name_u].
Solidago- a variety of goldenrod with a punchy sound similar to [name_m]Santiago[/name_m], [name_m]Salvador[/name_m], and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m].
[name_u]Yarrow[/name_u]
Zephyranthes- the shorter [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] is a root of this flower name and so could be used instead- [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] could be a clever nod to Zephyranthes.

8 Likes

I LOVE the idea of [name_f]Rose[/name_f] for a boy, especially for a middle. Some other ones I like are…

Lilac
[name_f]Lotus[/name_f]
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
Alyssum
[name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Freesia[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_u]Briar[/name_u]
[name_f]Forsythia[/name_f]
[name_u]Sorrel[/name_u]
[name_f]Wildflower[/name_f]
[name_f]Aster[/name_f]
[name_f]Acacia[/name_f]
[name_u]Aletris[/name_u]
[name_f]Carnation[/name_f]
[name_f]Celandine[/name_f]
[name_u]Hyacinth[/name_u]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilias[/name_f]
[name_f]Orchid[/name_f]
[name_f]Rayen[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhoswen[/name_f]
[name_f]Wisteria[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_m]Calix[/name_m]

6 Likes

I love Cosmos, [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] and [name_u]Willow[/name_u] for boys in particular!

A few I dont think have been mentioned:
[name_m]Bramble[/name_m]
[name_u]Florian[/name_u]
[name_m]Huckleberry[/name_m]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]

3 Likes

Some other ideas:

Aster
[name_u]Basil[/name_u]
[name_m]Bud[/name_m]
[name_u]Cedar[/name_u]
[name_u]Elm[/name_u]
[name_m]Moss[/name_m]
[name_u]Sorrel[/name_u]
[name_u]Tarragon[/name_u]
[name_m]Valerian[/name_m]

3 Likes

These are great.
[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is
[name_u]Foxglove[/name_u]
[name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m]
Dianthus
Burdock

1 Like

This is my favourite name topic :slight_smile:
I made this list after your girls’ post @brittanyanitarose

Xylem
Vetiver
Bromes
Hakone
Persimmon
Bromeliad
Corylus
Abutilon
Acanthus
Adiantum
Achimenes
Agapanthus
Ailanthus
Allium
Aponogeton
Astilbe
Bourgainvillea
Arabis
Cercis
Chervil
Coleus
Doronicum
Eranthis
Iberis
Medlar
Milium
Mulberry
Oncidium
Phalaris
Philodendron
Philadelphus
Phlomis
Phlox
Pyracantha
Rubus
Rhus
Verbascum
Viburnum
Vitis
Vriesia
Valerian

Sorry for any repeats. They’re all botanical words or names but not all floral. I’m copying and pasting the above list so I’m not sure how it will display, but [name_u]Vetiver[/name_u], [name_f]Allium[/name_f], [name_u]Mulberry[/name_u], [name_m]Vitis[/name_m] and [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] are the ones listed on Nameberry that can be looked up.

3 Likes

Loving [name_u]Oleander[/name_u], Cosmos, Arum and [name_u]Lupin[/name_u]

1 Like

Love this! Some of my current favorites (all botanical but not all flowers):

Oleander
Dogwood
[name_f]Jonquil[/name_f]
[name_f]Aster[/name_f]
[name_u]Hyacinth[/name_u]
[name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m]
[name_u]Birch[/name_u]
[name_m]Heath[/name_m]
[name_u]Fennel[/name_u]
Alyssum
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_u]Quince[/name_u]
[name_m]Sycamore[/name_m]
Palm
[name_u]Briar[/name_u] (I like this as a unisex name)
[name_u]Douglas[/name_u] (like the [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] Fir)
Rambutan

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] this! [name_u]Lupin[/name_u] is on my own list (along with [name_m]Florin[/name_m]), and [name_u]Sorrel[/name_u] is another fantastic suggestion.

Not quite a flower, but there is a male rabbit in Watership Down called [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], and I think that totally works for a boy!

There are some other fun “thorn” names too, like Blackthorn and Buckthorn. Also love [name_u]Campion[/name_u], [name_u]Senna[/name_u] and [name_f]Aster[/name_f] for a boy.

Here’s a blog I did on this subject not too long ago. You’ve got most of them already, but there are few more nice ideas in the suggestions ([name_u]Larkspur[/name_u]! [name_u]Hollis[/name_u]! [name_m]Fiorello[/name_m]!)

2 Likes

Hawthorne sounds quite masculine.

1 Like

Great list!

Oleander is one of my favorites!

I also love Rosewood! It gives me an earthy rugged feel. I would definitely use it as a middle name.

2 Likes

That’s one of the things I like about [name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m], it sounds quite solidly masculine but is also a plant which boasts very delicate white flowers. I really enjoy that contrast.

@leafygreens oooh I often think of Alyysum as a floral alternative to [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f] but that -um ending really does work for anyone! I love [name_f]Fern[/name_f] here too and only kept it off my main list because I had narrowed to it plants with bear flowers. [name_u]Sorrel[/name_u], [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_m]Calix[/name_m], [name_u]Juniper[/name_u], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Carnation[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Aster[/name_f], [name_f]Lilias[/name_f], and [name_u]Briar[/name_u] are all fabulous too. You have a lot of exciting options on your list. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it.

@piesky oh I love love love [name_u]Florian[/name_u]. :sparkling_heart:

@fearlessfirefly I love your list! [name_u]Basil[/name_u], [name_u]Elm[/name_u], [name_m]Moss[/name_m], and [name_u]Tarragon[/name_u] especially.

@EdgeOfTheMeadow oh so many great ones I missed!
I especially like [name_u]Vetiver[/name_u], Persimmon (I often throw this one out for girls but easily a neutral name,) Acanthus, Chervil, Eranthis, [name_u]Mulberry[/name_u] (seems more wearable even than [name_m]Huckleberry[/name_m] imo,) Philodendron, Tubbs, [name_m]Vitis[/name_m], and [name_m]Valerian[/name_m]!
Great list.

@itsjustjack oh [name_u]Fennel[/name_u] is a great one I hadn’t considered. Heath is another great name too.

@katinka hard agree on [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]! I’m excited to go read the blog now. I kind of gave myself limitstion on this list making it specifically names of flowers and not names with oral meanings or other botanical names. There’s a lot of names I love that could have been included here if I’d broadened the scope slightly.
Oh [name_u]Senna[/name_u] would be excellent! [name_u]Campion[/name_u] is intriguing and [name_u]Cam[/name_u] has sweet nn potential. And I’m in full agreement with you, leafy, and fearless on [name_f]Aster[/name_f].

@GirlyWhirly Rosewood is downright dashing.

6 Likes

I love seeing “girl” names for boys! [name_f]Rose[/name_f] would be lovely, same with [name_u]Yarrow[/name_u], I think [name_u]Yarrow[/name_u] for a boy is AMAZING!!!

Chicory is one of my favorite flowers, however, it is also known for leading to miscarriages when ingested… probably not the best description for your future baby :confused:

Other ideas:
[name_u]Garland[/name_u]
[name_u]Rue[/name_u]
[name_u]Ash[/name_u]
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]
[name_u]Oak[/name_u]/Oakley
[name_u]Sequoia[/name_u]
[name_f]Maple[/name_f]
[name_u]Cedar[/name_u]
[name_u]Cypress[/name_u]
[name_f]Gardenia[/name_f]

1 Like

Oh that’s a good note! I know there are a few different plants to avoid for that reason, I wasn’t aware Chicory was one of them though. Thank you.

Great suggestions!

1 Like