Floral Sibset...but what about a boy!

I’m partial to a floral based sibset, using spunky [name]Poppy[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] and maybe [name]Rose[/name] as first names but what happens if I have a boy!! What so you think of [name]Gardener[/name] or maybe [name]Leaf[/name] for a boy…is this still keeping in the theme!? Does anyone have any other suggestions??

Maybe not floral, but definitely nature-themed:

[name]Forrest[/name]
[name]River[/name]
[name]Cedar[/name]
[name]Sage[/name]
[name]Linden[/name]
[name]Cade[/name]

I think you’ll be hard pressed to stick with strictly floral names if you have a boy! But there are several nature-related names that should flow very nicely, (lots more than I’ve been able to list here!)

[name]Bud[/name] is the only male floral-related name I could think of.

I had [name]Violet[/name], [name]Clover[/name] and [name]Pearl[/name] picked out for my girls, pretty nature/color thematic names. I also had [name]Lilac[/name] as either an alternate for [name]Violet[/name] or addition if I had four girls. I knew I’d have at least three, and I could imagine making a pretty little family sign with a violet, a clover, and a pearl on it in a triangle shape or something like that. I had three boys instead! I’m pregnant with a daughter now, but she’s almost definitely going to be my only daughter since it’ll be my fourth c-section.

[name]Don[/name]'t lock yourself into an all-encompassing theme for your sibset. You never know what you’re going to have ahead of time, and you’re really going to be stretching for really good botanical names for boys after the first one or two. What if you have a boy first and use a botanical name, then a girl and you use a botanical name for her, then you just keep having boys? After the first two of opposite genders you’d be locked into it, but I think it’s going to get pretty hard to keep coming up with ones you like, but you wouldn’t want to exclude the new guys from the theme!

I think it’s totally acceptable to use one theme for your sons and one theme for your daughters, or only name your daughters with a theme and don’t use any for your sons or vice versa. My sons’ names don’t have a theme, but we did make all their middle names family surnames, like my eldest has my maiden name as a middle name, and my second son has my mother-in-law’s maiden name which is also my husband’s middle name, and the youngest boy has a last name from DH’s family that’s also my father-in-law’s middle name. But we’ve decided we’re probably not continuing the tradition with our daughter. We’ll just say it was a thing for the boys in our family!

What’s more important than planning out all your kids’ name theme is making sure that when you do have kids you pick names that won’t rule out lots of other names you might want to use down the line. My first son’s name is [name]Eli[/name] and because of that [name]Lilac[/name], the only name of the original list that isn’t blowing up with popularity now, is out of the question! I’m also avoiding all other “I” sound names, too, but others might not be that crazy.

Oleander?

You have a lot more options if you expand to plants or just nature names. Tintri suggested some of the best, but here’s some more:

Dill
[name]Moss[/name]
[name]Aster[/name]
[name]Indigo[/name]
[name]Sorrel[/name]
[name]Clove[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Woody[/name]

Another plant name is [name]Ivy[/name]!

[name]Heath[/name] is my favourite floral boys name. It has nice flowers but is primarily known as a perennial plant. If anyone even thinks of it as botanic at all. I love it.

[name]Rowan[/name] is my favorite boy nature name. It’s not exactly floral, but very earthy. (I love [name]River[/name] too, but more for a girl.)

[name]Jade[/name] would work, typically used on girls, but I think it can be a boy’s name.

I also think [name]Clover[/name] would work for a boy.

[name]Florian[/name] - male version of [name]Flora[/name]

[name]Hyacinth[/name] is a flower name that was originally for boys

[name]Nalin[/name] - a beautiful flower that flourishes in muddy waters

Wistar - The flower wisteria was named after him

[name]Aster[/name]

[name]Juniper[/name]

[name]Sage[/name]

Thanks folks. Good ideas. [name]Love[/name] love love [name]Bud[/name] for a boy!! Also - I absolutely agree with not restricting yourself with an all-encompassing theme for a sibset. Always LOVED what [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Montgomery[/name] (actress) parents did with their sibset and was always curious about fitting boys into that equation…

I’d use nature names as others have said - [name]Linden[/name], [name]Rowan[/name], [name]Sage[/name] etc all seem like lovely boy names to me.

I really enjoy [name]Cedar[/name] and [name]Linden[/name] which were already suggested.

[name]How[/name] about any of these:
[name]Birch[/name]
[name]Ash[/name]
[name]Hawthorn[/name]

Also wanted to add [name]Briar[/name].

I grew up with a flower sibset. All girls and one boy. The boy was Paullen, a play on pollen. I always thought that was neat.