🤍 floral sibset - tacky or cute?

hi!
i’m looking for some advice. i have a deep deep love for floral/nature names, especially for girls. i know sisters named lily, linnéa & viola and i always thought their names were cute both individually and together. but, do you guys see floral sibset and find them tacky? do you find names that have both a floral first- and middle name tacky/too much?

for example:
florence, primrose & violet
lily, iris & rose
marigold & rosalie

lily rose
daisy sage
ivy violet

would love som input! thanks!

4 Likes

I actually think all themed sibsets are kind of sweet, if you can stick with the theme for however many children you have. But I do like how [name_u]Florence[/name_u], [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] are a bit more “subtle” than [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Lily[/name_f], where the theme is obvious from the first glance. That is just a personal preference, though.

However, a floral first and middle are a bit much for me personally, and I know most Berries only use one word name in a combo so that the name doesn’t sound too descriptive. Wouldn’t call it tacky because these combos can sound and look so beautiful, but a bit much for some people.

13 Likes

I’m the same!

I absolutely love florals and I also love themes so the idea of a floral them makes me swoon. However I think to much flower could be too much.

Looking at your example sibling sets I think [name_u]Florence[/name_u], [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] & [name_f]Violet[/name_f] works mainly because [name_u]Florence[/name_u] despite being ‘floral’ isn’t an actual flower and [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] isn’t used regularly. So I think having a floral inspired name with a rarer floral then [name_f]Violet[/name_f] which also fits into the category of vintage and colour name works. Similarly I think [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] & [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] work because [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is a ‘rose’ variant and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] (in the UK anyways) is a rarer flower name. However I think [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f] & [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is a bit much probably because they are all obvious florals and even though I love sibling sets with matching amount of letters I think because they are all four letters it’s to much.

So in a nutshell a sibling set like [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] & [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] or [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] & [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] I think works wonderfully and I would swoon at this. But I think [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f] & [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is just too much mainly because they are very obvious flower names.

Moving onto both first name + middle name as flowers like [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] personally I’m not keen. I actually know loads of Lily-Rose’s (hyphenated first name) and I know a [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] (first & middle) including having one as a relative born in [name_u]September[/name_u] 2021. I know this is popular people love this idea because it’s very sweet but I think two obvious florals is tooooo sweet! This goes for the majority of your floral combinations I do think they are too sweet. However if you changed them a bit I think they could work. For example [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] would be pretty or [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u] I think having one name as a floral variant makes the name work.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helped

7 Likes

Not tacky at all! I love floral names!

5 Likes

I’ve actually met several sibsets with floral names (Vi0let and L1ly, R0sie and Da1sy, 0live and Iris)

I think if they’re well established as names, as yours are, it can work!

Floral first and middles are a bit much for me personally though, they’re not bad but it would bother me

4 Likes

Floral sibsets are super cute! And I love floral first names with floral middle names!

1 Like

I LOVE floral names for girls, and think it’s beautiful when all sisters have them. I DO think it’s a little much when it’s all the first AND middles, like the second list you mentioned. I feel that way with all word names, though. I like to have one “word” and one “name”, just to temper things a bit. I think it makes each word/name stand out more, rather than compete for the spotlight.

Like, seeing a birth announcement for [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] kind of makes me skim over both names, a little. It also sounds more like an adjective and a noun: “a purple rose”. A [name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] might make think more of ivy growing in [name_f]Italy[/name_f] than the baby girl that was intended.

But something like [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]? That makes me stop and simmer in the delectable sounds of the name. The beauty evoked from the mention of marigolds. The rich history and elegance of a name like [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. The MANY nickname possibilities in each. All the glorious details.

That’s just my take. I love a “less is more” approach. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Themed sibset’s are a bit cheesy imo, but that never hurt anyone. Floral names are so pretty and odds are most people won’t know the names of a child’s siblings.

I think the more important thing is that you like them and the names are so similar they’re hard to differentiate (i.e. [name_f]Gillian[/name_f] and Lillian.)

The names you listed are gorgeous, especially [name_u]Florence[/name_u] (one or my favorites!)

If it would make you happy, I say go for it :slight_smile:

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: floral first and middles can be a lot, but most people will probably never know your child’s middle names. I wouldn’t worry too much

1 Like

As a [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] with a sister named [name_f]Violet[/name_f], I like these sets. :relaxed: I think [name_u]Florence[/name_u] is a fantastic pick to place in one of these floral sets because it’s not quite so obviously floral! [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] and [name_u]Florence[/name_u] could be a good pair, actually. I definitely wouldn’t say these sets are tacky— I like a good theme!

1 Like

aww adelina rose is lovely!

I think it’s enchantingly wholesome and storybook-like to have a themed sibset with siblings whose names all resemble a bouquet of flowers. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom often tells me stories about the names of kids she knew growing up and it’s always the ones who have slightly surprising or themed names who seem to conjure up by this special homespun sweetness and nostalgia, even for someone like me who didn’t know them. Themed names just seem so perfect for quirky and lovable book characters that when you meet a sibset in real life with themed names, they almost don’t seem real! Some people might call it hokey, but I’m of a kinder persuasion toward this style :slight_smile:

That said, I wouldn’t do first and middle floral names.

[name_f]My[/name_f] only qualm is the grouping of names between siblings and first to middle. You don’t wanna be too twee in the pairings. Outside of that the gimmick is pretty cute.

So I think with sisters you wouldn’t want them all to have the floral names that end in Y because its too twee, [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], and [name_f]Lily[/name_f] altogether a bit much. [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], and [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] much better. [name_u]Florence[/name_u], [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] altogether might be too austere, but [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Viola[/name_f], [name_u]Florence[/name_u] less so.

Middle pairing I tend to go short then long or long then short. [name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_u]Sage[/name_u] or [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] for example. Short short always looks double-barreled to me especially if they match thematically.

Again just my opinion and definitely not carved in stone I’m sure there are exceptions.

I think floral subsets are cute and sweet, especially when they’re subtle like [name_u]Florence[/name_u], [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] &Violet. However I don’t mind well established names like [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f] & [name_f]Iris[/name_f] as siblings either. When they are more ‘wordy’ and not well established it starts to get a little more cheesy, but not unusable, (like [name_f]Lilac[/name_f], [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] & Hyacinth)

I do feel a word middle and word first though is a bit too much, it feels more like a description than a name. But that being said it’s really a matter of personal taste, two floral names isn’t in anyway a bad thing or anything that’s going to affect your daughter in a negative way, just not my preferred naming style

I think it works! Doesn’t feel too matchy matchy but is a sweet connection between the siblings. I met sisters called [name_f]Meadow[/name_f], [name_u]Fern[/name_u] and [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] and I while in the past I might have thought too matchy I actually loved it in person and didn’t feel “too much”