[name]Rosa[/name]
[name]Gloria[/name]
[name]Marianne[/name]
[name]Ethel[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Martha[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]

Our surname is Churchyard. We welcome all comments and any other ideas - so feel free to suggest away!

Thanks [name]Eli[/name]

[name]Rosemary[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this name with [name]Florence[/name]
[name]Enid[/name] - kind of dowdy sounding
[name]Rosa[/name] - I think [name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Rosalind[/name] or [name]Rosamunde[/name] would be better
[name]Gloria[/name] - no, it shares an “or” with [name]Florence[/name]
[name]Marianne[/name] - Ok but nothing exciting
[name]Ethel[/name] - NO NO NO
[name]Mabel[/name] - This name is a good pairing. I like it.
[name]Martha[/name] - Not my cup of tea
[name]Hazel[/name] - See [name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] - Too frilly
I think you have a unique surname Churchyard. I really like it. Other suggestions are [name]Ada[/name], [name]Agatha[/name], [name]Alma[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Edith[/name], [name]Celeste[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Olive[/name], [name]Camille[/name], [name]Vera[/name], [name]Viola[/name], [name]Sybil[/name], [name]Millicent[/name], [name]Lucille[/name], [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Estelle[/name], [name]Louise[/name] and [name]Maude[/name]. Good luck!

[name]Rosemary[/name] – I absolutely adore [name]Rosemary[/name] with [name]Florence[/name]. I always have. They seem to fit so perfectly together - same style/era and the same soft sound. They both sound like characters in an [name]Oscar[/name] Wilde play. This would definitely be my choice.

[name]Enid[/name] – This one still seems a little clunky sounding, despite the Victorian-name revival that is currently happening. I think this is partly because it lacks he cute -ee sound that other of her revived Victorian contemporariness have ([name]Ruby[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Molly[/name]) or much scope for a cute nickname ([name]Edith[/name]-[name]Edie[/name], [name]Matilda[/name]-[name]Tilly[/name].

[name]Rosa[/name] - Pretty, but I would personally use it as a nickname for [name]Rosemary[/name].

[name]Gloria[/name] -Not sure about [name]Gloria[/name]. Its definitely cutting-edge, but many will view it as dated. I, personally, would keep this in the middle spot which is the perfect place to use a name with more impact.

[name]Marianne[/name] – This fits well with [name]Florence[/name]. It has the same soft, elegant feel.

[name]Ethel[/name] - Certainly fits for era. My gt grandmother was actually called [name]Florence[/name] [name]Ethel[/name]!But like [name]Enid[/name], it hasn’t yet made the revival yet. She would be in the minority, but definitely a trend setter for 10 years down the line when more Ethels appear.

[name]Mabel[/name] - [name]Mabel[/name] is still underused but definitely starting to make a come-back. A trend-setting choice.

[name]Martha[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name], soft, down-to-earth [name]Martha[/name]. A great fit with [name]Florence[/name].

[name]Hazel[/name] - The era is the same but I don’t feel that [name]Hazel[/name] particularly fits with [name]Florence[/name]. [name]Florence[/name] is so soft and elegant sounding whereas [name]Hazel[/name] is spunky and fiesty.

[name]Julia[/name] - Very classic and elegant sounding and has the advantage of being hard to date as their are [name]Julias[/name] of all ages and it isn’t tied to one particular generation.

With [name]Florence[/name] I think [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Marianne[/name] and [name]Martha[/name] fit the best. I would also pair [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Cecily[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name]/[name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Mirabel[/name] as sisters for [name]Florence[/name] :slight_smile:

Thankyou very much! I should probably mention that we are in the UK and therefore say [name]Florence[/name] as [name]Flo[/name]-rence with a very short “o” sound (as per in the word floss here: How to pronounce floss in English - Definition of floss in English). We would probably use [name]Edie[/name] as a nickname for [name]Enid[/name].

Of the suggestions I really like [name]Vera[/name]. Hub came up with [name]Gladys[/name] the other day too - I quite like that one - what do you think?

Revised list:
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Enid[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name]
[name]Gloria[/name]
[name]Marianne[/name]
[name]Ethel[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Martha[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Gladys[/name]

Thanks, [name]Eli[/name]

I think I just posted on your [name]Gladys[/name] thread and then noticed this thread too-- so from your revised list:

[name]Rosemary[/name] --This is lovely, and I think it goes wonderfully with [name]Florence[/name] in both style and era.
[name]Enid[/name] – Not sold on this one
[name]Rosa[/name] --prefer [name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Gloria[/name] – sounds too churchy with your surname
[name]Marianne[/name] – not bad, though I prefer some of the other options
[name]Ethel[/name] – okay
[name]Mabel[/name] – Really like this one also.
[name]Martha[/name] – always had a soft spot for [name]Martha[/name], so classic and under-used.
[name]Hazel[/name] – I like it, goes well with [name]Florence[/name], but again, prefer some others
[name]Julia[/name] – Classic, can’t go wrong there.

[name]Rosemary[/name] gets my #1 vote for sure though. [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Martha[/name] and [name]Julia[/name] are all nice, but I think [name]Rosemary[/name] is perfect.

I think [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Martha[/name] and [name]Vera[/name] sound nice with [name]Florence[/name].
other ideas-
[name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Paulina[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]