Florence and ?

Would love to hear your thoughts on our current list for [name]Florence[/name]'s brother:
[name]Reginald[/name]
[name]Albert[/name]
[name]Wilfred[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Ernest[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Eric[/name]
[name]William[/name]

Our surname is Churchyard. We are open to all comments and ideas - so suggest away!

Thanks, [name]Eli[/name]

That is a lovely list! And I adore [name]Florence[/name] :slight_smile:

Which country do you live in? (If that’s not too much of a personal question). If you live in the UK like me then I would avoid [name]Oliver[/name] (fabulous though it is) as it is being used sooooooo much at the moment.

[name]Reginald[/name] – Generally I really like ‘-ald’ names. They have a great ‘medieval knight’ vibe. Not a fan of [name]Reggie[/name] though. Too much [name]Reggie[/name] [name]Perrin[/name] for me perhaps, which makes it seem stuck in the 50s/60s (= dated) :? I think this, of all the choices, pushes the boundaries the most in terms of current trends. Most people will find it too moldy for them, but it will put him right in with the chic name trend-setters.

[name]Albert[/name] – There is something so dependable and wholesome about [name]Albert[/name]. He’s your strong silent type. It’s still a teeny bit clunky for 2010 but he’ll be very cutting edge in 5/10 years when all the other [name]Alberts[/name] come along in droves.

[name]Wilfred[/name] – Like [name]Albert[/name], [name]Wilfred[/name] is still a bit clunky but very cutting edge - especially with the trend-setters. It’s very cute on a little one and [name]Will[/name] or [name]Freddie[/name] as a nickname would make an easy transition into teen-hood.

[name]Theodore[/name] – I love everything about this name. It sounds so refined and handsome. [name]Theo[/name] makes an accessible nickname and [name]Ted[/name] is just cool.

[name]Ernest[/name] – [name]Ernest[/name] gives me the same warm feeling that [name]Albert[/name] does. I love it, but, like with [name]Reginald[/name], I don’t really like the nickname [name]Ernie[/name]. It still feels dated whereas [name]Ernest[/name] seems to fit the new trend for Victorian names.

[name]Oliver[/name] – Great name, but getting overused in the UK.

[name]Eric[/name] – I quite like [name]Eric[/name]. But not with [name]Florence[/name]. They don’t quite seem to match. That’s probably due to the fact that [name]Eric[/name] has been used through the 70s and 80s (particularly in the US) whereas [name]Florence[/name] is much more of a ‘recovered gem’.

[name]William[/name] – I have to admit that this is my all time favourite boys name. It will probably sound like a contradiction (given what I said about [name]Oliver[/name]) but I really don’t think its Top 10 status matters, as [name]William[/name], unlike [name]Oliver[/name] has literally been a Top 10 name for the last 1000 years. It is a quintessential classic that will never date and has a great flexibility with nicknames.

Overall, they are all fabulous names. I really think it depends on how ‘brave’ you are as a namer. If you want a name that makes a statement and is the height of naming chic then [name]Reginald[/name], [name]Albert[/name], [name]Ernest[/name] and [name]Wilfred[/name] would be good choices. If you want more flexible, ‘middle-of-the-road’ names then go for [name]Theodore[/name], [name]William[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name].

[name]Reginald[/name] - Not a fan
[name]Albert[/name] - OK with [name]Florence[/name] but I like [name]Alfred[/name] better
[name]Wilfred[/name] - OK
[name]Theodore[/name] - Great name and pairs well with [name]Florence[/name]
[name]Ernest[/name] - See [name]Reginald[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this name but not with [name]Florence[/name]
[name]Eric[/name] - NO NO NO
[name]William[/name] - I’m one of the few people who can’t stand this name.

Other boys names that would be good pairings with [name]Florence[/name] are : [name]Abraham[/name], [name]Ambrose[/name], [name]Basil[/name], [name]Benedict[/name], [name]Bernard[/name], [name]Boniface[/name], [name]Cedric[/name], [name]Conrad[/name], [name]Cornelius[/name], [name]Eli[/name], [name]Enoch[/name], [name]Eugene[/name], [name]Gerard[/name], [name]Godfrey[/name], [name]Homer[/name], [name]Jeremiah[/name], [name]Jonah[/name], [name]Julius[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Lowell[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Otis[/name], [name]Randolph[/name], [name]Rupert[/name], [name]Sheldon[/name],[name]Silas[/name], [name]Tobias[/name], [name]Truman[/name], [name]Winslow[/name], [name]Winston[/name] and [name]Virgil[/name].

[name]Reginald[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t like it. Plus it sounds a little ethnic to me (African American)
[name]Albert[/name] - I love it! Please use the nickname [name]Albie[/name] instead of [name]Bertie[/name] though. [name]Bertie[/name] is too sissy [name]IMO[/name].
[name]Wilfred[/name] - I feel like I should like this name, but I just don’t. If you want a [name]Will[/name] go with [name]William[/name], if you want a [name]Freddie[/name] go with [name]Frederick[/name].
[name]Theodore[/name] - One of my favorite names [name]EVER[/name]. I love [name]Teddy[/name]. [name]Theo[/name] is nice too but it reminds me of The Cosby Show and I’ve never met a White [name]Theo[/name] so it seems strange to me.
[name]Ernest[/name] - yuck
[name]Oliver[/name] - love it! [name]Ollie[/name] is adorable.
[name]Eric[/name] - no. ugh.
[name]William[/name] -It’s okay.

other names you might like:

[name]Alfred[/name] nn [name]Alfie[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name] nn [name]Freddie[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] nn [name]Harry[/name], [name]Hank[/name], [name]Hal[/name]
[name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name]
[name]John[/name] nn [name]Jack[/name] or I find just [name]John[/name] on a baby boy so refreshing!
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Edward[/name] nn [name]Ted[/name], [name]Teddy[/name], [name]Ward[/name] (I do like [name]Theodore[/name] better myself though)
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]

Thankyou! We’re in the UK. We would most likely use these nicknames: [name]Reginald[/name] ([name]Reg[/name]), [name]Albert[/name] ([name]Al[/name]/[name]Albie[/name]), [name]Wilfred[/name] (Wilf/[name]Will[/name]/Wolfie), [name]Theodore[/name] ([name]Theo[/name]), [name]Ernest[/name] ([name]Ernie[/name]), [name]Oliver[/name] ([name]Ollie[/name]), [name]William[/name] ([name]Will[/name])

Of the suggestions I like [name]Alfred[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Arthur[/name] and [name]Edward[/name].

Revised list:
[name]Reginald[/name]
[name]Albert[/name]
[name]Wilfred[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Ernest[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Eric[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Alfred[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]

Thanks, [name]Eli[/name]

[name]Reginald[/name] - This is okay. I’m not completely sure on it.
[name]Albert[/name] - This is okay, but I still have an old man mental image with it. But maybe in the UK it’s trendy?
[name]Wilfred[/name] - Sounds like a mush of two names. I don’t really like it.
[name]Theodore[/name] - [name]Love[/name]!
[name]Ernest[/name] - Fine.
[name]Oliver[/name] - Cute!
[name]Eric[/name] - Cute! But I am not so sure how it sounds with [name]Florence[/name].
[name]William[/name] - A cute classic that you can’t go wrong with! Plus, lots of nickname possibilities. [name]Liam[/name], [name]Billy[/name], [name]Willy[/name], [name]Wiley[/name]…
[name]Alfred[/name] - Cute! I know it’s trendy in the UK.
[name]Henry[/name] - A lovely classic.
[name]Arthur[/name] - I love this one!
[name]Edward[/name] - Also love this one!

[name]Wilfred[/name] made me think of [name]Wilford[/name] Brimley-- NOT a great association! But since you said Wolfie as a nickname, I think it’s adorable!

[name]Theodore[/name] is my favorite, followed by [name]Oliver[/name].

I’m having a hard time liking the Grampa names, but I’m trying!