Florence or just Flora

See the results of this poll: Flora or Florence

Respondents: 50 (This poll is closed)

• Flora : 21 (42%)
  • Florence: 29 (58%)

I much prefer [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] feels harsh to me.

I have a very strong association with [name_f]Florence[/name_f] Nightingale. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] I think of the fairy for Sleeping Beauty. Both beautiful. I voted [name_f]Flora[/name_f] tough choice though

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] over [name_f]Flora[/name_f].
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] sounds dowdy to me where as [name_f]Florence[/name_f] seems better suited to all stages of life

This was so hard for me, because we also love [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. I ultimately voted for [name_f]Florence[/name_f], because I love the idea of “best of both worlds” with the nickname [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is just gorgeous, imo!

I personally prefer just [name_f]Flora[/name_f] as I prefer names that are a tad more youthful, [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is very elegant but also quite buttoned-up while [name_f]Flora[/name_f] feels just as sophisticated but more fun and more international, which is important to me.
However, if you like both, than [name_f]Florence[/name_f] nn [name_f]Flora[/name_f] would be a great idea!

[name_u]Love[/name_u] both, but prefer [name_f]Flora[/name_f] as it sounds more feminine to me. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] does give me a bit of a masculine vibe, potentially because of the similarity to the sound of names like [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] and [name_m]Terrance[/name_m].

I agree with some of the others; use [name_f]Flora[/name_f] as a nickname.

Babies grow up eventually. I would stick with [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and use [name_f]Flora[/name_f] as a nickname while she’s small, if you feel like you’re missing out or like [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is a bit too grown-up. [name_f]Flossie[/name_f], [name_f]Flo[/name_f] and [name_f]Florrie[/name_f] could be other nicknames.

I love the name [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and all of its nicknames - including [name_f]Flo[/name_f], [name_f]Flossie[/name_f], [name_f]Floss[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Florrie[/name_f] and [name_f]Cece[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Flora[/name_f] for her open ending, [name_f]Florence[/name_f] feels very closed-off. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is also more feminine, I have no problem seeing [name_f]Florence[/name_f] on a boy, in the middle. [name_f]Flora[/name_f] not so much.
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] also feels more versatile and youthful, playful. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] seems more serious and stern.
And there are other -ence names I love more, like [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] (and [name_f]Sundance[/name_f], Independence and Defiance in the middle slot)

I voted for [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. I agree [name_f]Flora[/name_f] could still be used as a nickname, but here in Australia I wouldn’t use it as a stand-alone name as it’s a popular brand of margarine! Also, I’ve never heard of a male [name_f]Florence[/name_f] - maybe others are thinking of [name_u]Florian[/name_u]?

@ attery squash, I don’t think the others are saying [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is a male name but rather that it resembles other -ence ending male names such as and especially [name_u]Laurence[/name_u].

I love both, but I voted for [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. If you can’t picture [name_f]Florence[/name_f] on a baby, I second the suggestion of using [name_f]Flora[/name_f] as a nn.