Florence?

Inspired by today’s blog post, I started think about F names that I like. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is a name that I am on the fence about. I think it has a lovely, feminine sound and plus it has the great nickname option of [name_u]Ren[/name_u]! I wonder though if it is too weak-sounding or too old-fashioned. What do you berries think? Does [name_f]Florence[/name_f] have enough substance? Would you find it weird to meet a little girl named [name_f]Florence[/name_f] or would it be a delightful surprise? Also, if you feel like it, I would love to know how you picture a person named [name_f]Florence[/name_f].

Thanks!

I really, really dislike [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. I don’t like place names, but even more than that, it just doesn’t sound pretty. On the other hand, I adore [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. It is so much more feminine and sweet.

I don’t mind [name_f]Florence[/name_f], and [name_u]Ren[/name_u] is cute, but I love [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Flora[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is gorgeous - yes, it is substantial, and I’d love to meet a baby [name_f]Florence[/name_f] :slight_smile:

No, I don’t care for [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. The nn [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is too obvious and unappealing, and it just seems old to me - not ‘vintage’ but old lady. I mostly think of [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_m]Henderson[/name_m]. Like the others, though, I love [name_f]Flora[/name_f].

I don’t really like [name_f]Flora[/name_f] but [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is superb. So many cute nicknames ([name_f]Flossie[/name_f], [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], [name_u]Ren[/name_u], [name_f]Renee[/name_f]) appealing full form and the place is absolutely fantastic. I am sure [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is as wonderful as similar names [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Lettice[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Berenice[/name_f], [name_f]Candace[/name_f], [name_f]Clemence[/name_f]…
Florence Nightingale is a great namesake, by the way.

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] is one of the most common girl names where I live, in only the past few days I think I’ve met ten different girls named [name_f]Florence[/name_f] between my house and the park. So it’s easy for me to imagine on a little girl. All the ones I’ve met (and I know one too) are blonde, polite and pretty.
I think it’s a beautiful name, yes it is a place name as well, but only in English. [name_f]Florence[/name_f] means “blossoming” which is a lovely meaning, and it’s got a very long use as a given name. The names it derives from (Florentius and [name_f]Florentina[/name_f]) are not place names, they come from the Latin word floreo (to blossom).

I love [name_f]Florence[/name_f]! It’s such a spunky name. I also love [name_f]Flora[/name_f]—it sounds similar to [name_f]Florence[/name_f] but it’s sweeter and gentler. However, [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is a wonderful name as well.

I really love [name_f]Florence[/name_f] but I think it’s a little too frilly as a first name but that’s just my opinion. I have the combination [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f] on my list.

I’m a really big fan of Place names and I was looking into [name_f]Florence[/name_f] recently as well.
(I got inspired by someone who wanted to use [name_f]Florrie[/name_f] as a name on the forums)
I want to love the name as I think it is feminine without being frilly, though it is a little old fashion for my tastes.
However, it was very popular back in the days so can easily make a comeback in reverence of an ancestor or just as a familiar enough vintage name.

It may even be another [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] (a name which I deeply despised as I think of the ‘[name_u]Golden[/name_u] Girls’ and nursing home generation) which is making a comeback (due in part to some book) shudders. Slightly sad I’m convincing myself to like it as I will probably be meeting a whole lot of younger Beatrice’s in my lifetime.

I was looking into [name_f]Florence[/name_f] as a less-popular alternate to [name_u]Paris[/name_u], but then I thought is [name_f]Florence[/name_f] relevant in the modern age?
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] and the Machine have made a splash on the scene, so I was thinking maybe it may be another [name_f]Adele[/name_f].

Thank you for all the feedback so far – this is great! And [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f], thanks so much for sharing the history of the name. I had no idea it had floral connections. That really makes me love it. :slight_smile: Also, giinkies, those are great points about how [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is primed for revival and may become kind of trendy.

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] was my maternal grandfather’s mother’s name, my mother is a nurse and my name is a place name ([name_u]Clare[/name_u]) so [name_f]Florence[/name_f] ticks a lot of boxes for a girls name for me. I also thought of using [name_u]Ren[/name_u]/[name_u]Renny[/name_u] as a nickname.

I’m not 100% convinced though, and my partner’s not a fan; with other names we like better and the plan to only have 2 children its unlikely we’ll be using it but I think for the right family its an adorable vintage choice.

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] is a lovely name for a sweet girl.