FN for Bernadette

Everything becomes so much harder when someone has to agree with you about your name picks, I was very lucky that DH loves my top picks, but adding new ones is much harder, especially when DH’s main comment on names he like is just “it has a nice sound to it” and I have no way of quantifying that. We’re trying to find a first names to go with the middles [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] [name_m]Parnell[/name_m], thoughts on the ideas we have listed would be great and suggestions would be amazing.

[name_f]Alma[/name_f] - DH’s favorite, I like it and could see it fitting in with the other girls names we have picked out and I don’t know what in particular is wrong with it, but it just doesn’t feel like “the one”
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nellie[/name_f]” - A name that came across a lot working on the Dutch part of my family tree, our only problem with it is that DH has an ex named [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] and goes back and forth on whether he is okay with using it for a child.
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f] “[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]” - A family name for a person I would love to honor and DH loves the sound of it, but I put it in my signature waiting to fall in love with it and never did
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] - It’s a name that means a lot to me, but that I can’t find a nickname that I like for it to make it feel a little more wearable.
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] “[name_f]Dot[/name_f]” - It’s a name of several women I admire and I always bring it up, but DH can’t see it fitting in our family, which isn’t helped by the fact that my favorite nickname for it “[name_f]Dodie[/name_f]” is the most common word for pacifier in the part of [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] we’re living in.
[name_f]Veronica[/name_f] “[name_u]Ronnie[/name_u]” - My confirmation name, DH is a fourth generation [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] and our second son would be a fifth so he thinks that I should have a kid named after me too, but it’s not something I’m as interested in and my confirmation name is the only one I’d not mind sharing with a child. We both like the idea of it, but DH doesn’t like the actual name.

I think [name_f]Alma[/name_f] is the one that fits the best with your middle names. It’s possible to grow into a name and love it later.

Similar sounding names
[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_f]Anya[/name_f]
[name_f]Aura[/name_f]
[name_f]Alta[/name_f]
Aelia

I love your shortlist! All are wonderful names individually however [name_f]Alma[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] seem the ones that fit best with [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f].

Have you considered [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] as a first? [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] is lovely, if you don’t like [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] enough for a first name.

But if [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] is the definite middle name perhaps a shorter version of the names you have listed would be a better fit? E.g [name_f]Cora[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f], [name_f]Dora[/name_f] for [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f] for [name_f]Veronica[/name_f].

All the best!

[name_f]Alma[/name_f] is lovely and charming. [name_f]Amalia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Cara[/name_f], [name_f]Adele[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] are some similiar suggestions

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] - a lovely name, clunky in the best way. Could you consider another nn - [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Coco[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Cleo[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f] etc?
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Georgina[/name_f], [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f], [name_f]Marcella[/name_f] and [name_f]Colette[/name_f] as alternatives

[name_f]Lucille[/name_f] -so sweet and elegant! But if you’re not loving it, I’d take it off.
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_f]Camille[/name_f], [name_f]Cilla[/name_f] and [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] could be subtle nods to [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]?

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] - i didn’t read ahead when i suggested those previous names! [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] is elegant and full of flair. [name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_f]Celie[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Lia[/name_f], [name_m]Eli[/name_m] as nicknames? Or, with [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] as a middle, maybe, Cetta, [name_f]Lettie[/name_f], [name_f]Sibby[/name_f]/Cibby, [name_f]Libby[/name_f]?

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] - lovely choice but it seems like there’s more against it than for it?
[name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_f]Theodora[/name_f], [name_f]Georgina[/name_f]?

[name_f]Veronica[/name_f] doesn’t seem to fit.
Maybe another V name as a nod to [name_f]Veronica[/name_f]?
[name_f]Verity[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f], [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]? Or [name_f]Erica[/name_f]?

I like [name_f]Alma[/name_f] and [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] best from your list. [name_f]Alma[/name_f] is gorgeous in theory to me but sounds pretty blah in my American accent. For [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] I personally love the nickname [name_u]Neely[/name_u].

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Oh, I like [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] as a fn for what it’s worth. Especially w/the sweet nn of [name_f]Bette[/name_f]!

Here are my thoughts on your actual fn list:

[name_f]Alma[/name_f]-I want to like this. It’s old fashioned, smart, feminine w/out being overly frilly. All of the things that I like in a name, but I just don’t love the sound of it.

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nellie[/name_f]” -I love love love it! However, I’d be a little weirded out by the ex thing…what a shame. Especially w/such an unique name.

[name_f]Lucille[/name_f] “[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]” -Aw, I think that it’s lovely. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like other [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] names? [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]/[name_f]Lucienne[/name_f]/[name_f]Luciana[/name_f]? Maybe even [name_f]Louise[/name_f] or [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] could work to honor [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]. Or [name_u]Eloise[/name_u]/[name_f]Eloisa[/name_f]?

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] - I think it’s nice how it is, & I like [name_f]Celie[/name_f]. I really personally meet a ton of little girl called [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Cece[/name_f] though.

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] “[name_f]Dot[/name_f]” - I like it. I personally love [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] nn [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. What about that?

[name_f]Veronica[/name_f] “[name_u]Ronnie[/name_u]” -I don’t mind [name_f]Veronica[/name_f], but [name_u]Ronnie[/name_u] is a little too boyish in my opinion. [name_m]How[/name_m] about the nn [name_f]Vivie[/name_f]?

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

My favorite of your options is Cecila. I might use [name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_f]Cece[/name_f] or even [name_f]Lia[/name_f] as a nickname. My first thought for you was [name_f]Julia[/name_f]. Other names I especially like with [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f].
[name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]
[name_u]Clare[/name_u] [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f] [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]
Alice Bernadette
Irene Bernadette
Agnes Bernadette
Jane Bernadette
Frances Bernadette