Font question

@mirais @Johannaa

I posted a poll asking if others could see the names in my UC, and not everyone was able to. I use the website Bold Text Generator to get the serif “font” in my signature (it generates unicode symbols)

Is there a reason this font isn’t visible for some people? Are the symbols incompatible with certain software or is this a Discourse issue? @mirais mentioned that they were unable to view the names in other UCs too, which I think all use the unicode symbols.

This was a problem for me years ago, before the forum change (some signatures appeared as lots of tiny rectangles instead of names) if it helps.

I don’t think it’s a Discourse issue because I experienced that on the old platform. I guess it’s about the device, I’m able to see internet-created fonts on my mobile phone and computer but not on my tablet PC.

2 Likes

I think @ethelmary is right, but I’m no expert! Are the names in your UC right now in these special fonts? I’m just seeing them as ordinary font on my mobile and laptop.

1 Like

No, I just switched them to the normal font! Here’s an example of the font I used:
𝐁𝐞𝐭𝐬𝐚𝐛𝐞 𝐊𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐚

I can see both of these examples on both of my devices, on different browsers. So it must depend on the device, or possibly on browser settings.

1 Like

I think this problem is indeed caused by my device or browser and not by the forum because I also can’t read the font when I go to the text generator website.

3 Likes