For fun--songs???

I’ve totally been thinking about songs with girl’s names in them lately ever since me and DH started talking about the name [name]Anna[/name] and I cannot get the Beatles song “[name]Anna[/name]” out of my head (which I absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] BTW)…So I’m just throwing this out there, thought it might be kinda fun–got any songs?

[name]Delilah[/name] from “hey there [name]Delilah[/name]” and I’m not quite sure what the song’s name is but [name]Micheal[/name] Bublee has a song with the name [name]Georgia[/name] in it…

I do!! I love [name]Eric[/name] Clapton’s song, ‘[name]Layla[/name]’; ‘[name]Gracie[/name]’, by [name]Ben[/name] Folds; ‘[name]Emaline[/name]’, by [name]Ben[/name] Folds; ‘Visions of [name]Johanna[/name]’, by [name]Bob[/name] [name]Dylan[/name]; ‘[name]Madeline[/name] & Nine’, by [name]Mike[/name] Doughty; ‘[name]Elias[/name]’, by Dispatch, ‘[name]Edie[/name] (Ciao baby)’, by The Cure…many more, will have to re-post! Awesome new thread-love it!!! :slight_smile:

This isn’t from a song, but it’s related to songs: [name]Nirvana[/name]. I love [name]Nirvana[/name] the band and as a name! One of my theoretical girls would have to have the middle name [name]Nirvana[/name].

There are tons with names in the songs. Here are some with names just in the titles…

[name]Just[/name] a few more from The Beatles…

[name]Eleanor[/name] ("[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Rigby[/name]")
[name]Lucy[/name] ("[name]Lucy[/name] in the [name]Sky[/name] with Diamonds")
[name]Prudence[/name] (“Dear [name]Prudence[/name]”)
[name]Michelle[/name] ("[name]Michelle[/name]")

Then of course there’s…

[name]Angie[/name] (Rolling Stones)
[name]Roxanne[/name] (The Police)
[name]Lola[/name] (The Kinks)
[name]Layla[/name] ([name]Eric[/name] Clapton)
[name]Amanda[/name] ([name]Boston[/name])
[name]Carrie[/name] (Europe)

Some of my favorites are:
[name]Rhiannon[/name] - [name]Fleetwood[/name] [name]Mac[/name]
[name]Jolene[/name] - in three different songs by [name]Dolly[/name] [name]Parton[/name]/[name]Ray[/name] LaMontagne/The Weepies
[name]Cecilia[/name] - [name]Simon[/name] and Garfunkel
[name]Julia[/name] - The Beatles
[name]Valerie[/name] - The Zutons/[name]Amy[/name] Winehouse
[name]Prudence[/name] - The Beatles
[name]Tessie[/name] - Dropkick Murphys
Maybelline - [name]Chuck[/name] [name]Berry[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] - 311
[name]Mariella[/name] - [name]Kate[/name] [name]Nash[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] - [name]Barry[/name] Manilow/The Kinks (completely disregarding association)
[name]Angelina[/name] - [name]Louis[/name] [name]Prima[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] - Rolling Stones

and then [name]Iris[/name] by the Goo Goo Dolls and Lua by [name]Bright[/name] Eyes both made me fall in love with those names even though they are just the titles and never actually said in either song.

My favorite name song is “[name]Jane[/name]” by Barenaked Ladies – love “sweet [name]Jane[/name] St. [name]Clair[/name]” – and my oldest daughter likes that they say her name at one point in it, too. :slight_smile:

[name]Claudie[/name] by Status Quo! That will be my girls song :slight_smile: lol.

I also adore [name]Rosalin[/name] by [name]Jack[/name] Savoretti, and the song makes me consider using the name. He pronounces it [name]ROSE[/name]-uh-lyn.

There’s also [name]Terence[/name] [name]Trent[/name] D’arby - [name]Penelope[/name] Please, [name]Tara[/name] [name]Linda[/name] - [name]Mirabel[/name], Primal Scream - [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] and Show Me The Skyline - [name]May[/name]

[name]Love[/name] them all :slight_smile:

My favorite song with a name in without a doubt is [name]Rhiannon[/name] by [name]Fleetwood[/name] [name]Mac[/name], but some more are…

The Diary of [name]Jane[/name] by Breaking [name]Benjamin[/name]
Casually Sad [name]Mercedes[/name] by [name]Calypso[/name]
[name]Every[/name] [name]Man[/name] Has A [name]Molly[/name] by [name]Say[/name] Anything
[name]Pandora[/name] by [name]Madina[/name] [name]Lake[/name]
[name]Chelsea[/name] by Stefy
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Don[/name]‘t Tell by [name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name] [name]Jane[/name] by [name]America[/name]
Darlin [name]Kate[/name] by [name]Emmylou[/name] [name]Harris[/name]
[name]Ava[/name] [name]Adore[/name] by Smashing Pumpkins
[name]Stella[/name] by All Time Low
[name]Stella[/name] [name]Blue[/name] by The Greatful Dead
[name]Adia[/name] by [name]Sarah[/name] McLachlan
[name]Mary[/name] by [name]Sarah[/name] McLachlan
[name]Mary[/name], [name]Mary[/name] by Chumbawamba
[name]Sara[/name] by [name]Fleetwood[/name] [name]Mac[/name]
Dreamboat [name]Annie[/name] by Heart
[name]Adelaide[/name] by Anberlin
[name]Cassie[/name] by Flyleaf
[name]Rebecca[/name] by Grieves
[name]Rebecca[/name] by [name]Meg[/name] & [name]Dia[/name]
My [name]Michelle[/name] by Guns N’ Roses
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Molly[/name] by Incubus
[name]Judith[/name] by A Perfect Circle
A Perfect [name]Day[/name] [name]Elise[/name] by PJ [name]Harvey[/name]
[name]Judy[/name] Is A Punk by The Ramones
[name]Suzy[/name] Is A Headbanger by The Ramones
[name]Sheena[/name] Is A Punk Rocker by The Ramones
[name]Ramona[/name] by The Ramones
[name]Vera[/name] by [name]Pink[/name] [name]Floyd[/name]
All The Girls [name]Love[/name] [name]Alice[/name] by [name]Elton[/name] [name]John[/name]
Amoreena by [name]Elton[/name] [name]John[/name]

You’ve got some great ones listed already, but I’ll add:

[name_f]Alison[/name_f] by [name_m]Elvis[/name_m] Costello
[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] by Bread

[name_m]Just[/name_m] today I’ve been listening to [name_f]Veronica[/name_f] by [name_m]Elvis[/name_m] Costello. When we named our last baby [name_u]James[/name_u] we so loved listening to Sweet [name_u]Baby[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] so much that now I want all my future babies to have their own song. And I don’t think my hubby would even like the name Caroline if it weren’t for the song.

[name_u]Roy[/name_u] Orbison had songs called [name_f]Lana[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f], [name_f]Belinda[/name_f] and [name_f]Claudette[/name_f].

The latter was written about his first wife.

[name_m]Don[/name_m]‘t think anyone’s mentioned “[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]” by [name_f]Norah[/name_f] [name_m]Jones[/name_m]. There’s also [name_m]Bruno[/name_m] [name_m]Mars[/name_m]’ “[name_f]Natalie[/name_f],” and ZZ [name_m]Ward[/name_m]'s “Put The [name_m]Gun[/name_m] Down” references an [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] ("[name_f]Adeline[/name_f], have mercy/you don’t want to break my heart"). Though none of these are necessarily good connotations, someone above mentioned [name_f]Jolene[/name_f], so I just felt the need to throw some of these in the mix.

Come on [name_f]Eileen[/name_f] - Dexys [name_m]Midnight[/name_m] Runners
Sweet [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] - [name_u]Neil[/name_u] [name_f]Diamond[/name_f]
[name_f]Valerie[/name_f] - The Zutons
[name_f]Jolene[/name_f] - [name_f]Dolly[/name_f] [name_m]Parton[/name_m]
Come on [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] - The Four Seasons (cause thats my name…hehehehe)

And the Beatles have soooo many songs with girl names. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Michelle[/name_f], [name_f]Rita[/name_f], [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Prudence[/name_f]

I think it would be cute to have a child named after a song, cause then you could always sing it to them.

[name_f]Martha[/name_f], My Dear by the Beatles
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] on My Mind by [name_u]Ray[/name_u] [name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_f]Sara[/name_f] Smile by [name_m]Hall[/name_m] and Oates
[name_f]Corinna[/name_f], [name_f]Corinna[/name_f] by lots of people, most recently Boz Scaggs
Mustang [name_f]Sally[/name_f] by [name_m]Wilson[/name_m] Pickett
The Wind Cries [name_f]Mary[/name_f] by [name_m]Jimi[/name_m] [name_m]Hendrix[/name_m]
[name_f]Jolene[/name_f] by [name_f]Dolly[/name_f] [name_m]Parton[/name_m]
For [name_f]Emily[/name_f] Wherever I [name_f]May[/name_f] Find Her by [name_m]Simon[/name_m] and Garfunkel
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] by [name_u]America[/name_u]
[name_f]Sherry[/name_f] by the Four Seasons
[name_f]Peg[/name_f] by Steely [name_m]Dan[/name_m]
[name_f]Gloria[/name_f] by [name_u]Van[/name_u] [name_m]Morrison[/name_m]
[name_f]Maggie[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] by [name_m]Rod[/name_m] [name_m]Stewart[/name_m]
The Adventures of [name_u]Rain[/name_u] Dance [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] by the [name_u]Red[/name_u] Hot [name_m]Chili[/name_m] Peppers
My [name_f]Sharona[/name_f] by the Knack
[name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] by [name_m]Donovan[/name_m]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] Kiss Me by [name_m]Franz[/name_m] [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m]
[name_f]Barbara[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] by the [name_m]Beach[/name_m] Boys
Help Me, [name_f]Rhonda[/name_f] by the [name_m]Beach[/name_m] Boys
Valleri by the Monkees
[name_f]Gigi[/name_f] by…who? [name_u]Maurice[/name_u] [name_m]Chevalier[/name_m]?
[name_f]Lara[/name_f]'s Theme from [name_m]Doctor[/name_m] [name_m]Zhivago[/name_m]
[name_m]Lay[/name_m] Down [name_f]Sally[/name_f] by [name_m]Eric[/name_m] Clapton
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] by the Goo Goo Dolls
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]'s Last Dance by [name_m]Tom[/name_m] Petty
[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] [name_f]Rita[/name_f] by the Beatles
Really [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] by [name_f]Carole[/name_f] [name_m]King[/name_m]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f] Says by [name_f]Jane[/name_f]'s Addiction
[name_f]Janie[/name_f]'s Got a [name_m]Gun[/name_m] by Aerosmith
Sweet [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] by [name_u]Neil[/name_u] [name_f]Diamond[/name_f]
[name_f]Amanda[/name_f] by [name_m]Boston[/name_m]
Lady [name_f]Jane[/name_f] by the Rolling Stones
[name_f]Annie[/name_f]'s Song by [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Denver[/name_u]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f] Wheels by [name_m]Paul[/name_m] McCartney
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_f]Diane[/name_f] by [name_m]John[/name_m] Mellencamp
I’ll Go Home with [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] from Brigadoon
[name_f]Mona[/name_f] [name_u]Lisa[/name_u] by [name_u]Nat[/name_u] [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Cole[/name_m]
[name_f]Maria[/name_f] from [name_u]West[/name_u] Side [name_u]Story[/name_u]
Fur [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f] the Moocher
Goodnight, [name_f]Irene[/name_f]

Ballad of [name_f]Mona[/name_f] [name_u]Lisa[/name_u] by Panic! at the Disco
[name_f]Bette[/name_f] [name_m]Davis[/name_m] Eyes by [name_u]Kim[/name_u] Carnes
[name_u]Carmen[/name_u] by [name_f]Lana[/name_f] [name_u]Del[/name_u] [name_m]Rey[/name_m]
[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] by [name_u]Billy[/name_u] [name_m]Gilman[/name_m]
Für [name_f]Elise[/name_f] by [name_m]Ludwig[/name_m] van Beethoven
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] by [name_m]Jeff[/name_m] [name_m]Buckley[/name_m]
[name_u]Hero[/name_u] by [name_f]Regina[/name_f] Spektor (does this one count?)
[name_f]Jessica[/name_f] by [name_f]Regina[/name_f] Spektor
[name_f]Jolene[/name_f] by [name_f]Dolly[/name_f] [name_m]Parton[/name_m]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]'s Theme by [name_m]Alexandre[/name_m] Desplat
[name_f]Lolita[/name_f] by [name_f]Lana[/name_f] [name_u]Del[/name_u] [name_m]Rey[/name_m]
[name_f]Mariella[/name_f] by [name_f]Kate[/name_f] [name_m]Nash[/name_m]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] by [name_f]Regina[/name_f] Spektor
Lady [name_f]Godiva[/name_f] by [name_u]Alex[/name_u] [name_u]Day[/name_u]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] by [name_m]Kaiser[/name_m] Chiefs
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f] by The Rolling Stones
Sweet [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] by [name_u]Neil[/name_u] [name_f]Diamond[/name_f]
[name_f]Valerie[/name_f] by [name_m]Mark[/name_m] [name_m]Ronson[/name_m] feat. [name_f]Amy[/name_f] Winehouse

Yowza, you all got a list going! Lots of good ones. I blame one of you for getting [name_f]Sheena[/name_f] is a Punk Rocker stuck in my head.

I don’t think I’ve seen:

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] by The Wallflowers
[name_f]Larraine[/name_f] by [name_f]Azure[/name_f] [name_u]Ray[/name_u]
[name_u]Damaris[/name_u] by [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_f]Lyla[/name_f] by CocoRosie

I’m not sure any of those are really positive songs about the names. They’re all rather sad. [name_m]Paul[/name_m] [name_m]Simon[/name_m] has a few, not sure I saw him listed. “Oh, [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]! You’re breaking my heart!”

Ones that immediately come to mind:
Come On, [name_f]Aileen[/name_f] (which has been stuck in my head on and off ever since I began considering [name_f]Aileen[/name_f] a few weeks ago!)
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] in the [name_u]Sky[/name_u] with Diamonds
Sweet [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] on my Mind
[name_f]Kate[/name_f] (by [name_m]Ben[/name_m] Folds Five)

I’ve always loved [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] by [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] Sweet!

I used to dance to these Four Seasons songs in the high school gym: [name_u]Ronnie[/name_u], [name_f]Dawn[/name_f], [name_f]Marianne[/name_f], [name_f]Marlena[/name_f], [name_f]Sherry[/name_f] and the [name_m]Beach[/name_m] Boys: [name_f]Rhonda[/name_f] and [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f].