For myself (35F). Recently started going by my middle name, am now thinking about going by a nickname for it. How common is that?

I [Mary Katherine] decided to start going by my middle name as a few months ago. I’m happy to say I’ve been going by [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] since, and recently started a new job as “Katherine”.

As I’m living and introducing myself as [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], I’m wondering about actually using nicknames for it, as [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is a pretty long name to say and spell lol. I don’t feel like a [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Katie[/name_f] or [name_f]Kathy[/name_f], but I kind of like [name_f]Kat[/name_f] or [name_u]Kari[/name_u].

Would that be weird? I actually knew a [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] in high school who went by [name_u]Abby[/name_u], but I’m not sure how common it is to go by a nickname for your middle name.

I’d still like to go by [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] at work, but not sure how to test [name_f]Kat[/name_f] or [name_u]Kari[/name_u] in my personal life

Not weird at all! Several people in my family tree did this. I also currently know a [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] “Nikki”, an [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] “Jay” and a [name_m]Hank[/name_m] [name_u]Joseph[/name_u] “Joe”…so I wouldn’t find it weird at all.

Also, if most people nowadays know you as [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] anyway, they probably would just accept your nickname outright. No different than if you legally were [name_f]Katherine[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] mum goes by her middle name and most people know her as a nn/shortened form of her middle name. I would guess that this is pretty common. Perhaps you could test out a nn with a few friends, by signing texts, birthday cards and the like as [name_f]Kat[/name_f] or [name_u]Kari[/name_u]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] out of interest, what do you think of Kay/Kaye?

No I think that’s totally valid and [name_f]Kat[/name_f] would be awesome! I know several people who go by their legal middle :smiling_face:

i think that’s completely fine !! it feels a little weird to me when people go by their first name but get their nickname from their middle, but since you go by your middle, i’d say it’s like your de facto given name, so it’s just as normal to go by a nickname as if katherine had been your first name from birth !!

I don’t think it’s odd, since you’re using [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] as a first name/chosen name in every day life.

[name_f]Kat[/name_f] works well! I think you could maybe start signing messages/posts as ‘Kat’/‘Kari’, or message some close friends to see if they’d consider trialling it for you

Not at all weird! I went to school with at least two people (that I can remember) as a kid who went by nicknames for their middle names. It works just fine, and if it’s your preference, I say go for it!

I’m also in my 30s and go by a nickname of my middle name, and nobody has found it particularly weird (or if they have, they never said…). I quite like the anonymity it can give you as well - some casual acquaintances only know my nickname, others know my full middle name but don’t know my first name (and probably don’t realise my middle isn’t my legal first name), and then of course people I’m close to know my whole name. I don’t know why I like it - maybe it just feels like there’s more privacy sometimes.

Agree with others, not weird at all! I don’t really get the [name_u]Kari[/name_u] nickname as it doesn’t feel intuitive but [name_f]Kat[/name_f] is awesome and definitely works- feels like a natural nickname and makes sense even if you’re going by your middle! [name_u]Love[/name_u] it

I like [name_u]Kari[/name_u] because it rhymes with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] lol, easy transition. Still haven’t decided on either yet though

YOLO
You only live once.
If it makes you happy and doesn’t harm yourself or others, do what brings you joy!!