For the love of Adelaide

This is my all time favorite girls name. I am mid-30s and have been loving it since the 1990s. I love how it looks, how it sounds, the meaning, I am of [name_m]German[/name_m] descent but studied [name_u]French[/name_u] from Kinder-College so I love those connections, I just outright love everything about it.

For my first daughter, my husband could not get on board with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] for the reasons I will explain below and we went with [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_u]Blair[/name_u]. [name_u]Blair[/name_u] is my middle name and a family name. I strongly feel both parents should love the name if possible, so we searched for something beyond [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and found [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]. It felt fresh, spunky, and classic. We waited to see her to name her and she is most definitely an [name_f]Eliza[/name_f].

We are expecting our third baby and it is a girl. As mentioned above, I love my daughter’s name but I do feel a tinge of regret I didn’t use my favorite name. We have exhausted the name discussion this time (I have made several posts here, so thanks to all for your patience and support) and really can’t come to an agreement for this baby. The middle name we want to use is [name_f]Greer[/name_f], it is a family name and we love it.

His reasons to doubt [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] were/are:
Is it too clunky with our last name, T0dd - [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] T0dd - possibly too many D’s
He felt/feels it could not possibly remain [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], that it HAS to have a nickname and we don’t hate but don’t love the [name_f]Addie[/name_f] wave of recent years. This isn’t a deal breaker to me bc I think she could just be [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], my [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] has remained [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], both are strong, 3 syllable names. I think [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is less familiar to him so maybe that is why he continues to doubt it.

Other factors that I know are effecting my ability to make a decision: 1) this is my last baby, last chance for names. 2) [name_f]My[/name_f] other favorite name since I was a girl was [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. Its recent popularity, especially being chosen by the royal family just made it not a possibility for us. So the thought of having two girls and neither being [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] or [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is just a little mind boggling for me.

Would love your thoughts, and thanks in advance for your help. [name_f]My[/name_f] son is called [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m]. So it would be [name_m]Marshall[/name_m], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f].

4 Likes

I really think you have to go with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. If your partner is certain that [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] needs a nickname, you could spring for [name_f]Ada[/name_f], which has the same spunky, vintage sound as [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]!

4 Likes

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is certainly a beautiful name!
You could try addressing your husband’s concerns. I personally don’t think [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_m]Todd[/name_m] sounds clunky at all. If more people agree with me, that could make him feel better about it.
As for the [name_f]Addie[/name_f] thing, you’ve already tried telling him that [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] doesn’t get shortened. If [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] doesn’t become [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], I doubt [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] will become [name_f]Addie[/name_f]. That said, maybe your husband would like some other nicknames? [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Laidy[/name_f] and [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] are all cute! [name_u]Allie[/name_u] too.
However, if at the end he still doesn’t like [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], you’ll have to let it go. I think it’d be better to go for a name both parents like, than for a name that one parents loves and the other dislikes. You could use it as a middle name (double middle name next to [name_f]Greer[/name_f], [name_f]Greer[/name_f] is short so it could work!) to at least have it in one of your children’s names.
Good luck!

1 Like

I would go with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] if your husband has come around to it. He can certainly use a nn if he prefers, but that doesn’t mean you have to! I love [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] & [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] as sister names! And [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Greer[/name_f] works so beautifully. Good luck with your decision! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Adelaide has tons of cute potential nicknames so I’m not sure that point is even valid. (I don’t even personally like the name very much, but the nn [name_f]Lady[/name_f]/Laide is just so cute and I can totally see a dad using this and it’s so sweet!) I will give him that [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] T0dd is a lot of Ds. But has he been loving a name for a future daughter since he was 10? I feel like this has to out weight the number of Ds in a name. I have sympathy for him being unfamiliar with the name but that can easily change :smiley: I hope you can bring him around since I think he could love it as much as you do.

2 Likes

Adelaide is perfect! Like [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is not as apt to be nnd as some names. But there is no name free of the possibility of unattractive or unforeseen nns. Certainly you would never call her [name_f]Addie[/name_f] nor would I, b.c. I really dislike it. And if you were to nn her [name_f]Ada[/name_f], there’d be far less chance of [name_f]Addie[/name_f].

Go for [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]! Of course I’m a big believer in the one bearing the child having ultimate naming rights anyway. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] I am a [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and I’ve yet to meet anyone who has a bad thing to say about the name. The thing with [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] these days, it’s very popular, you could have 2 or more [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]'s in a class yet it is unlikely you’ll meet another [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is also expected.
I too, absolutely love [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. It sounds regal, musical and classic. So I personally favour that name. It sounds like your partner isnt against the name, it just sounds like he has some reservations on the name. So I personally feel you are half way there. If you make it clear to family that your daughter is [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] then much like her sister [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], she will get her full name.
I am in a similar boat with the name [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] for a boy… [name_f]My[/name_f] partner has some reservations on the name but I just cant let it go. It’s a name I love and I can’t get excited about any other boys name. (We are talking our third here)

I think you can always compromise and tell your partner that he can pick a middle. [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] sound absolutely beautiful together. I’d really encourage you to use it. Team [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] for the win :rofl::slightly_smiling_face:

And perhaps this is contentious but I don’t think you have to let a name go if the husband isn’t fully on board. We sacrifice our bodies and carry the baby for 9 months, we spend most time with the baby calling them by their name as we are the stay at home parent, we should have greater say over the name in my opinion.

1 Like

Adelaide is one of my favorite names! And trust me, I have definitely experienced a few who have negative thoughts about it. But [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] sound so perfect together, so I hope you can convince your partner to use it!

Adelaide does have other nickname possibilities besides [name_f]Addie[/name_f].
*[name_f]Della[/name_f] is without a doubt my favorite, and it has the same soft, but spunky feel as [name_f]Ella[/name_f] or [name_f]Bella[/name_f].
*[name_f]Ada[/name_f] is also another great option, as another suggested.
*[name_f]Heidi[/name_f] is a bit of a stretch, but it is a diminutive of [name_f]Adelheid[/name_f], which [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] also comes from.

Adelaide [name_f]Greer[/name_f] is an amazing combo also!

3 Likes

I really think it needs to be [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] or I think you’ll always feel a little bit sad about it. For the record, I adore [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and I don’t think she needs a nickname, but [name_f]Ada[/name_f] is a particularly lovely one if you do. I also think [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and Elizw go together perfectly :two_hearts: Try to convince your partner, explain to him how much it means to you and that you really can’t imagine going for any other name.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback…

He is a sweet guy and is willing to use it this time bc he knows names matter to me quite a bit more than to him (even my dogs have had fabulous, deeply thought out names, [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] nn [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] nn Nevie lol!). I just have a little bit of guilt since I know he has hesitation. If everyone thought it sounded horrible with T0dd I was going to try to just say to myself, things change, and you didn’t use [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] or [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] for valid reasons.

But we both love [name_f]Aida[/name_f]/Ada as a nn for it, so I think that solves the nn issue, as long as [name_f]Ada[/name_f]/Adelaide T0dd isn’t too clunky! We love that it goes so well with [name_f]Greer[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], maybe not perfectly with [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] (I think [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] might be slightly better with his name) but pretty close!

6 Likes

I love [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] with your last name! And I think it’s totally possible to avoid a nickname. I think you should absolutely use it!

2 Likes

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Greer[/name_f] is literally sounding and gorgeous! [name_u]Dell[/name_u] or [name_f]Della[/name_f] would make a sweet nn!

1 Like

I agree with @rosepip, I think [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is perfect for you, and [name_f]Ada[/name_f] is such a cute nickname if you end up wanting one!

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] too, but sadly can’t use it…

And boy, I’m an expert at coming up with nicknames!

Ellie
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Ela[/name_f]
[name_f]Laidey[/name_f]/Laidie
Lai
Laide
Lai Lai
[name_f]Lala[/name_f]
AdAd
[name_f]Aide[/name_f]

Yeah, you get the idea.

1 Like

Eliza, [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] are a gorgeous set!

Adelaide is a beautiful name - it’s regal, elegant and fun! [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Greer[/name_f] is well balanced and pretty.

Adelaide works fine with your surname and I think it has other nn possibilities besides [name_f]Addy[/name_f]

2 Likes

I just dicovered the name [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], and ,while I don’t really get all the hype, it is a pretty name. I had a friend in elementry school named [name_f]Adaline[/name_f].

Adelaide is perfect with [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]! If your husband can get over his reservations, I think it’s perfect. Sure, [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] T0dd isn’t PERFECT, but it’s not bad either, and I agree [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] sounds as long as [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]—I think it could be that it LOOKS much longer than [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] that might be giving him hesitation? Many girls with three syllable names never get nicknames? [name_u]Maria[/name_u], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Natalie[/name_f], [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f], [name_f]Alicia[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], etc. So I don’t really think [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] NEEDS one, either? It does have some nice ones, though—[name_f]Adie[/name_f]/Addy, [name_f]Adele[/name_f], [name_f]Della[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]… I’ve even heard [name_f]Lady[/name_f] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f], though they’re not my favorite personally. I don’t think you would have to, but if he needs a nn to make [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] more desirable, then I would let him have it? It could be his own special nn for her, even if you only ever call her just [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]?

Good luck!

1 Like

You have to use [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] ! It feels like it’s your name !

1 Like