Formal name for 'Pepper'

I’m kind of in love with the nickname [name_u]Pepper[/name_u], but don’t think I’d want to use it as a given name. I’m at a bit of a loss as to what it could be a nickname for though (apart from [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] which one of my best friends just named her girl!)

[name_f]Do[/name_f] any Berries out there have any inspired ideas for a formal name for [name_u]Pepper[/name_u]?

[name_u]Pepper[/name_u]’s adorable!

[name_f]Philippa[/name_f]/[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u]
[name_u]Paisley[/name_u]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]

[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u]
[name_f]Pernilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
Pertronille
[name_u]Vesper[/name_u]

I don’t think that nicknames necessarily need to be directly related to the name itself. I think [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] is one of those nicknames that could work well for any name - more of a ‘petname’, like [name_f]Honey[/name_f] or [name_f]Lady[/name_f], you know? [name_f]My[/name_f] father only ever called me [name_m]Tiger[/name_m], which is no relation to my given name, and I loved it - no-one but him ever called me that. It was so special. Perhaps [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] you might consider in this way?

1 Like

[name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], or [name_f]Petra[/name_f] maybe

I have a great Aunt named [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] who goes by [name_u]Pepper[/name_u]/Pep as it was my Great grandfather’s nickname, she was essentially his “[name_m]Jr[/name_m]” . I always thought it was super cute

I actually know a little [name_u]Pepper[/name_u]. Not a nickname, it’s her formal given name.

Since [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] is a common nickname for [name_f]Philippa[/name_f], it seems like [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] would be just as fitting!
Any P heavy name or name containing P and R works I think:
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Prudence[/name_f]/[name_f]Prue[/name_f]
[name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]/[name_f]Pierra[/name_f]
[name_f]Patricia[/name_f]/[name_u]Patrice[/name_u]
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f]
[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u]
[name_f]Perdita[/name_f]
[name_f]Prospera[/name_f]
[name_f]Perrine[/name_f]
[name_f]Portia[/name_f]
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f] (one botanical name with a nickname that’s another plant?)
[name_u]Phaedra[/name_u]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u] (I mean it’s already almost the same name sound wise)
[name_f]Xanthippe[/name_f]

Alternatively, names with fiery meanings, or that mean red, would also lend well to the nickname [name_u]Pepper[/name_u]!

1 Like

[name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Perla[/name_f]
[name_f]Patience[/name_f]
[name_u]Pennie[/name_u]

I agree with @[name_f]Sunniva[/name_f], to me [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] is definitely the kind of nn that doesn’t have to be related to the full name. There’s a character named [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] Potts in the [name_f]Marvel[/name_f] comics; her actual name is [name_f]Virginia[/name_f].

1 Like

I also agree with @[name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] , you could just use [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] as an endearing pet name.
Or, you could do something like [name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and call her [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] because of her middle name.

1 Like

[name_f]Phillipa[/name_f] or [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] maybe?

1 Like

I like it as a nickname for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] as someone above suggested

[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_u]Presley[/name_u]
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u]

[name_f]Phillipa[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]

I agree that [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] is kind of an all purpose nickname (Like [name_u]Scout[/name_u] or [name_f]Birdie[/name_f])- it doesn’t have to be related to the name at all!

The first name that rose to my thoughts as a formal name for [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] was [name_f]Philippa[/name_f], but I also believe that it could work for [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], [name_u]Piper[/name_u] or [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The [name_u]Pepper[/name_u]’s I’ve known were [name_f]Phillipa[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Philomene[/name_f], and [name_f]Perdita[/name_f].

I don’t think that [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] as a nickname necessarily needs to be related to the formal name. You could name her just about anything and use [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] as a nickname.

1 Like