Former Dislikes 🥰

I was thinking earlier today about names that I’m not a particular fan of. That then got me thinking about names that I actually adore now which I did not like years ago.

I would like to know what names you yourself like now that you can remember disliking in years past. :blush:

I’ll give you a couple examples of mine that I actually really like now that I can remember strongly disliking years ago. . .

• [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
• [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]

2 Likes

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]

[name_m]Henry[/name_m]

[name_f]Emma[/name_f]

[name_m]Roman[/name_m]

[name_f]Starla[/name_f]

[name_f]Tonya[/name_f]

[name_m]Gary[/name_m]

[name_f]Dove[/name_f]

and [name_m]Wally[/name_m]

2 Likes

I’m sure there are more, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind:

[name_f]Goldie[/name_f] - our daughter’s middle name, which I never would’ve imagined using before
[name_f]Zusa[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruby[/name_f]
[name_f]Fifer[/name_f] (u)
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m]
[name_m]Yair[/name_m]
[name_m]Ben[/name_m] - mainly as a nickname though

2 Likes

@Fyn [name_f]Love[/name_f] so many of these! :hugs: Particularly. . .

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] (I’ve gone back and forth on this one; the pop-culture associations of [name_m]Scooby[/name_m] Doo – and now Bridgerton come to mind when I see this lovely moniker)
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] (this one gives off warm and cozy vibes for me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
[name_f]Dove[/name_f] (this is an extended family member of mine’s middle name and the name that she goes by; her first name is actually [name_f]Tatum[/name_f])

🪻 :fountain: :sunny: 🪻 :fountain: :sunny: 🪻 :fountain: :sunny: 🪻 :fountain:

@Rosebeth These are great! :heart_hands: I’m really liking. . .

[name_f]Goldie[/name_f] (I love that this name has started to gain traction again; a girl I want to high school with actually had a baby last year and named her [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]! :hugs:)
[name_f]Ruby[/name_f] (always love me some gem names! :gem:)
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] (this has really started to grow on me recently, and I love the nn [name_m]Kit[/name_m] that could be used for it! :two_hearts:)
[name_m]Ben[/name_m] (I really go back and forth on this one because I have good and bad associations with it; over all, though, it’s still a strong choice :slightly_smiling_face:)

[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]

[name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]

2 Likes

Names I originally hated but now really like / would consider using:

[name_m]Nelson[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m] - LLV is the only reason I now adore this name lol, IYKYK :see_no_evil::joy:
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
[name_m]Scott[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_m]Harris[/name_m]
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m]
[name_m]Benson[/name_m]
[name_m]Ramsey[/name_m]

[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] - this has been the biggest 180 for me
[name_f]Colette[/name_f]
[name_f]Viviana[/name_f]
[name_f]Eugenie[/name_f]
Josara
[name_f]Dasha[/name_f]
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lindsey[/name_f]
Elmsleigh
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Selkie[/name_f]
[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]
[name_f]Toula[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]- names eg. Rosamie, Rosafiere, [name_f]Rosaura[/name_f]

2 Likes

[name_f]Kirby[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Gillian[/name_f]
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_m]Russell[/name_m]
[name_f]Skylar[/name_f]

2 Likes

I never hated these names, just overlooked a lot of them.
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Hailey[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Angelique[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Romy[/name_f]

2 Likes

Stella! I’ve just been loving her recently and I could even picture myself with a daughter with this name, but a few years ago I actively hated it :sweat_smile: Mostly because of a bad association that I’m over now!

There are more examples (Elisabetta, Dragomir, Klementina, Astrid and Nikolay come to mind) but Stella is definitely the biggest one for me!

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure on [name_f]Kaia[/name_f] at first, now it’s a favourite!

2 Likes

Funny story:

When we were dating my now-hubby suggested [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] and I remember saying “eww who would call their child that!”

Fast forward 10 years, and guess what we just called our daughter…

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

[name_f]Jane[/name_f]!

2 Likes

@CattheBat13579 I love most of these! :heart_hands: [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] are all great! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: The only ones I’m on the fence about still are [name_f]Veronica[/name_f], [name_m]Charles[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] (this one mainly because it’s so popular).

@PeachyMum There are a lot of great choices here! :hugs:

I’m really liking. . . [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] / [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] / [name_m]Ramsey[/name_m] / [name_f]Viviana[/name_f] / [name_f]Eugenie[/name_f] / [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] / Elmsleigh (I’ve never heard this one before! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) / [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] (I can remember this being the name I chose for the baby doll I had to look after a week in home ec class back when I was in high school! :blush:) / [name_f]Rose[/name_f] (along with Rosafiere*, too*)

@turnip Great options! :grin: I really like [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] and [name_f]Skylar[/name_f]! :heart_hands:

@RubyGemstone19 [name_f]Love[/name_f] these! :hugs: Especially. . . [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] / [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] / [name_f]Edith[/name_f] / [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] / [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] / [name_f]Margot[/name_f]

@tallemaja I love [name_f]Stella[/name_f]! :heart_eyes: For me, I think its meaning of ‘star’ is what helps me love it the most :heart_hands::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

[name_f]Elisabetta[/name_f], [name_m]Dragomir[/name_m] and [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] are all great as well! :yellow_heart:

@Greyblue [name_f]Kaia[/name_f] is adorable! :hugs::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@_thelittlefairywren Omg, I love this! :heart_eyes: [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] is such a great name. And there are so many nn options for her (if any are chosen to be used, of course :blush:).

@dogs_books [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is a great choice! :heart_hands: I do think, for me at least, I’d only be able to keep it in the middle spot. It seems like she works so well there, no matter which fn you choose. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

@starlit_whispers Thanks! We love it too (obviously haha)! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Her main nicknames are [name_f]Posy[/name_f] or Sephie, although I call a million things (Posy-Pie, Posy-Rosie, [name_m]Pumpkin[/name_m], Pumpkin-Pie, Poppet). [name_f]My[/name_f] parents nickname for her is [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], which is one of her middle names.

1 Like

[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
Sylvie/Sylvia

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] (my top boy’s name now!)
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]

[name_m]Just[/name_m] to name a few! Becoming a name nerd really helped me appreciate names more.

1 Like

@Julie_NameNerd [name_f]Love[/name_f] these! :hugs:

I’m really liking [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], as well as all of your boy names (particularly [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_m]Julian[/name_m]).

🪻 :fountain: :sunny:

1 Like

[name_f]Hedwig[/name_f]
[name_f]Griselda[/name_f]
[name_f]Mildred[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Kaiya[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f] / [name_f]Natasha[/name_f] / [name_f]Natalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Wanda[/name_f]
[name_f]Pepper[/name_f]

[name_m]Anthony[/name_m]
[name_m]Steven[/name_m]
[name_m]Grant[/name_m]
[name_m]Clinton[/name_m]
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]

1 Like

@justagirlwholovesnam [name_f]Love[/name_f] these! :heart_hands: Particularly. . . [name_f]Hedwig[/name_f] / [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] / [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] / [name_f]Wanda[/name_f] / [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] / [name_m]Grant[/name_m] / [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] ([name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] is what my parents were going to name me if I had been a boy)

🪻 :fountain: :sunny:

1 Like

most of them are inspired by the MCU, I thought [name_f]Wanda[/name_f] was a very old lady name until I saw Age of Ultron and now I can’t stop thinking about how adorable it would be on a little baby.

1 Like
Summary

@justagirlwholovesnam I noticed the [name_f]Marvel[/name_f] theme! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And I agree, after having seen AoU, the name [name_f]Wanda[/name_f] did a complete 180 for me. I would love to see this on a little girl today! :hugs::tulip:

1 Like