Four month old's name, part 3- Thea v. Blythe

I have to agree with what [name]Jill[/name] said about [name]Blythe[/name] and [name]Jewel[/name] being stylistically opposite. You asked earlier if [name]Blythe[/name] came across as a pet name. No, not at all. In my opinion [name]Blythe[/name] is a very serious and sophisticated sounding name, which is part of why it works so well with the middle name [name]Miriam[/name]. [name]Jewel[/name], on the other hand, is a much more frivolous and whimsical sort of name that does indeed sound like it should be a pet name rather than a formal one. There simply is no comparison.
I imagine you want everyone who loves your daughter to love her name as well, and I can understand why you would be upset if your Mom hates the name you select. (You probably also want to avoid her deciding to call the baby something else entirely in protest :)) I think it’s important to point out, though, that the longer you put off officially naming the baby, the more you invite this type of criticism. Right now she’s nameless and so it’s easy for people to comment on your name selections as separate from her; they aren’t yet her name. It’s also a wide open topic to extended family and friends, rather than a private conversation between you and your husband, because people don’t have anything to call the baby. I imagine they’re sending cards and presents, coming to visit, and the obvious lack of a name for the person they’re directing all this love towards is leaving them feeling the need to participate in the naming process. I could be wrong (and it depends on your relationships with your Mom and everyone else), but I suspect that once you announce a name, and really commit to calling the baby by that name, everyone who loves her will embrace her name as well. That doesn’t mean that they will ever necessarily have an independent love for the name or that it is what they would have named her, but it means both that they will attach the name to her identity in a way that gives the name a positive meaning for them even where there previously was none and also that they will probably come to have a respect for the name as a done-deal part of her identity that should prevent them from openly criticizing it in her presence or yours. I think in all ways the sooner you do this, the sooner you will have peace of mind. And not to pressure you, but be mindful that you really don’t want to wait too much longer - the baby is getting to an age where she might soon be able to recognize and respond to her own name, which is always exciting - you don’t want to miss that milestone because she doesn’t have a name to respond to :slight_smile:

Darling girl you have at last found a name that makes your heart sing. It is a beautiful name, one of elegance and sweetness.

Try not to worry about Mum’s reaction, you have accommodated her wish to include [name]Miriam[/name] and while you are happy to carry on the family tradition it is now time for you to say to the world [name]Blythe[/name] is THE name for my beautiful baby girl.

I am saying this because you have made it quite plain how much you like the name [name]Blythe[/name] (as do the nameberry people).

I am sure that mother will accept your choice in time.

(When I named my son [name]Miles[/name] over 30 years ago I was the odd one out with all the [name]Daniels[/name] and Benjamins, but now people are falling in love with it everywhere it just wasn’t the fashion at the time but that didn’t matter to me because I loved the name. I am so glad that I named him [name]Miles[/name] his name has been a joy to me all this time. Moreover my son loves his name too.)

Wishing you blessings, joy and peace as you watch your little [name]Blythe[/name] grow into a beautiful woman.

Only name your daughter to please yourself.
Here’s an idea grandma can call [name]Blythe[/name] “my little jewel” so she can get her “jewel” fix.
My grandmother calls my daughter “her little angel”. I see nothing wrong with it.

Thank you so much for all your thoughts- those sentiments (both about how it is not a pet name in the same way [name]Jewel[/name] and [name]Lark[/name] can be) and how it isn’t a traditionally thought of surname turned name are how I feel, too.[/quote]

That’s my pleasure. I just feel for you, because I can hear how hard this has all been, and I’m so sorry your mum is making your doubt your decision. I agree with other posters that I would limit veto power, and also that a name, once given, gets a heap of positive associations. Not quite the same thing, but one of my closest friends picked a name I hated (and I am pretty eclectic!), but now that the name belongs to her son, it’s not an abstract sound and improves on me all the time, because now it’s HIS name. As [name]Jill[/name] said, this is your turn to pick a name, and I honestly don’t think your mum can say that your daughter will hate her name. She will grow up with Mabels, Elizas and Ediths - their vintage name style will be part of her generation and I think her name will be in good company with them, but will always sound fresh and happy. When I think of a [name]Blythe[/name] in 25 years time, I think of someone who has a name that can look professional, but is also a name that you notice - my feeling is that your daughter would get a lot of compliments. Why not suggest your mum calls her [name]Jewel[/name], just as a private nickname between the two of them? This may be a special way to get her to accept your choice.

I hope you’re able to get beyond the name barrier soon, so that you can take unfettered joy in your daughter, whatever you decide to call her. And as [name]Jill[/name] said, if you need to start again or bounce more ideas around, we’re here. Hang in there!

I voted for [name]Blythe[/name]… its pretty and uncommon. When I was pregnant I brought up [name]Thea[/name] to my husband and he said it sounded like a kid with a lisp saying “See Ya” :frowning:

So sorry your mom is not on board with [name]Blythe[/name], but parents often don’t like the names we choose – its generational I think. They aren’t as familiar with current naming trends, and not that anyone wants to be trendy, but you don’t want to give your a child a name completely out of date. I think the names we all like may sound out of date to parents or grandparents sometimes (I even find this true with people I work with that had their kids in the '90s — they think using a name like [name]Emma[/name] is really odd, just a really old lady name, and now its #1 in popularity!). I think all your loved ones will accept your decision, once you and your husband have made it. I know my family wasn’t thrilled with our children’s names, but they all got used to them and love them now! Good luck with the decision!

I mean this in the nicest possible way. I really think you’re starting to go in circles here. From every single post you have made in this thread, it seems clear that in your heart you have decided on [name]Blythe[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]. I agree that the inclusion of [name]Miriam[/name] is enough of a compromise for your mother. She does not get to name her granddaughter. She’ll get over it.

I think you just need to fill out those papers and know that you have made the right choice. As a PP said, the longer you go on waffling, the more you’re inviting criticism from others and the more second-guessing you will do. Go with it! We’re all behind you!