four month old's name- want new suggestions

would also love if my narrowed list made you think of any more names or any more directions I could be thinking of… there’s got to be a name out there we can both love for her… and I have no doubt you all can find it :slight_smile:

Still looking for you
[name]Bettina[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Trudy[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Ursula[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Ainsley[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Bethany[/name]
[name]Bethel[/name] (is it a girls name or just a place?)
Frith but if he didn’t like [name]Freya[/name] he wouldn’t like Frith, she was a young girl in the book “The [name]Snow[/name] Goose”.

My brain is shutting down because it’s bedtime for me, but I’m also thinking of [name]Eve[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Bess[/name], [name]Della[/name], [name]Adella[/name], [name]Honora[/name], [name]Romilly[/name], [name]Sage[/name], and [name]Wren[/name]. (My apologies for repeats!)

Take care! :slight_smile:

[name]Will[/name] try to think of some more, but in the meantime just wanted to say that I love the story and idea of [name]Ivy[/name]. It’s one of my favourite names at the moment (and is a family name, so I hope I get to use it one day), but the meaning for both of you would be amazing and it’s such a classy name. I also love [name]Calanthe[/name] and [name]Calla[/name].

Good luck with the discussion - I think that as you say, going through other people’s suggestions may open it up again. And also, now you are not naming in abstract, you are naming a real child who you have got to know a bit. Some names that didn’t fit before may speak to you.

I think, if you do all this and there is no third name that really speaks to you, then perhaps one of you does have to give in. I suppose it will be the one of you that is less determined/more tired. But both [name]Thea[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name] are great names, so at least you won’t be giving in to [name]Bertha[/name] or [name]Gertrude[/name]! :wink:

Good luck, we are all plugging for you!

A few more Greek suggestions:
[name]Delphi[/name]
[name]Thetis[/name] (mother of [name]Achilles[/name])
[name]Agathe[/name]/[name]Agatha[/name]
Akantha (a nymph loved by [name]Apollo[/name])
[name]Ariadne[/name]
[name]Artemis[/name]
[name]Chara[/name] (means “joyful”
[name]Dido[/name]/[name]Elissa[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]/[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Hera[/name]
[name]Elysia[/name]
[name]Erika[/name]
[name]Gia[/name] (variant of [name]Gaia[/name], if DH thinks it’s too much)
[name]Ianthe[/name]
[name]Calypso[/name]
[name]Kyra[/name]
[name]Leda[/name]
[name]Maia[/name]
[name]Melina[/name] (means “honey”)
[name]Nyx[/name]
[name]Tanith[/name]
[name]Thera[/name]
[name]Xena[/name]

Some more TH names:
[name]Ardeth[/name]
[name]Aretha[/name]
[name]Esther[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Leith[/name]
[name]Theda[/name]
[name]Thelma[/name] (although very clunky)
[name]Thyra[/name]

babygrey:

First of all, I wanted to say how much your situation has touched me and broken my heart. I have been going through some name turmoil myself, with 6 weeks left before she arrives. I had a name I’d loved for years and always wanted to use for a girl - DH vetoed it as soon as we found out it was a girl. I’ve been open to the naming discussion, but if I’m really honest I know I haven’t let go of it. That being said, here’s what I’ve learned, and I hope that something of it can be helpful to you:

You want the PERFECT name for your daughter. So does your husband. Your ideas of what this means in practical terms do not match up, but your intentions do. That’s one thing to remember: you both want the same thing, ultimately. Unfortunately, what you want is impossible. You want the perfect name and you [name]WILL[/name] NOT FIND IT. It really doesn’t matter how many lists you make, or re-make, or re-consider. You are striving for the unattainable.

Your wee daughter is perfect - regardless of what you call her. The essence of who she is does not change whether she is “[name]Blythe[/name]” or “[name]Thea[/name]” or “Cassiopoeia”. When you finally commit to a name in your heart, it changes the name: when you think of your daughter, you don’t see “[name]Andromeda[/name]: the Greek myth”, or “[name]Andromeda[/name]: the constellation”, or “[name]Andromeda[/name]: the name my mother-in-law hates” or whatever. It’s the reverse: whenever you hear the name, whatever it may be, it will be her name - you will just see her.

So what I’m trying to say is this: it’s not about either of you “giving in” to the other - with this mindset, one or both of you will always feel resentful. Instead, it is about “letting go” of the expectation of perfection that you are both holding onto. Is it worth the anguish you are obviously going through? Or is it time to just accept that any name will always fall short of how amazing and adored you child is to you, and allow yourself to fall in love with a set of letters and sounds simply because they belong to her?

I hope you won’t take offence at this - I’m not trying in any way to diminish the importance you place on her name or the struggle you have undergone in the process. I wish you the best of luck in coming to a resolution with this, and I sincerely hope you find a name to take joy in.

Great post, punkprincessphd. :slight_smile:

I second that

I’ve got it: Blythea

[name]Aspen[/name]…I guess I don’t think of the resort first…so I must live in a different part of the US :stuck_out_tongue: I think the tree and I love it too.

If you like place names…there are so many others out there!
[name]Paris[/name] did get [name]Hilton[/name]-ized…and not in a good way!

[name]How[/name] about:

[name]London[/name]
[name]Calais[/name] (which is similar to [name]Calla[/name])
[name]Ireland[/name] (Irey nn)

[name]Just[/name] some suggestions :slight_smile: Good luck!

i’m so sorry if anyone else has suggested any of these… but i thought i’d give it a go.
i love greek names too, so here are my suggestions::

[name]Chloe[/name] - means “Verdant and blooming”
[name]Charissa[/name] - means “[name]Grace[/name]”. not nature-y… but very beautiful!!
[name]Damia[/name] - means “goddess of forces of nature”
[name]Daria[/name] - means “upholder of the good”. also not nature-y, and has the association with that cartoon that used to come on mtv… but i still love it!!
[name]Iliana[/name] - means “bright”
[name]Kacia[/name] - means “acacia tree”. not a very strong meaning… but beautiful name!!
[name]Odessa[/name] - means 'long journey"
[name]Rhea[/name] - means “flowing”. i know it’s already been suggested, but i just love it too much not to put it on my list… i pn it “ray-uh”
[name]Selene[/name] - means “moon”. in your case, i’d change it to [name]Selena[/name]…
[name]Zoe[/name] - means “life”

Babygrey, I love the names [name]Aster[/name] and [name]Astrid[/name]! IDK, maybe the best thing to think about when you’re worried about name teasing is that episode of Full House where [name]Stephanie[/name] wants to change her name b/c the kids put a “Step-on-me” sign on her back, so she makes people call her “[name]Dawn[/name]” b/c she thinks no one could make fun of that name but Mr. [name]Tanner[/name] comes up with a few ([name]Dawn[/name]-ald Duck, etc.) You probably won’t be able to imagine all of the ways that a name could be made fun of, even [name]Thea[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name].

I also think the suggestion of [name]Tabitha[/name] nn [name]Tibbie[/name] is really great. I can’t wait to hear what your husband thinks about the new list.

[name]Echo[/name] - this would fit right in with the [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Cleo[/name], [name]Clio[/name], etc names out there. I love it. Not weird at all. I would be able to take seriously.

[name]Aria[/name] - I love it. One of my absolute favorites.

[name]Aspen[/name] - I think of the lovely tree, not the resort. But I reside in eastern part of US.

[name]Aura[/name] - similar to [name]Aria[/name], I also love it. A bit more unusual than [name]Aria[/name].

[name]Freya[/name], nn Frith. This name is not at all weird, despite what your dh says. It’s getting very popular in the UK. A great name.

[name]Juno[/name] - a real charmer. I would keep this in mind.

[name]Ruth[/name] - my grandmother’s name. I love it AND it’s meaning (friend). Not common at all nowadays.

[name]Jade[/name] & [name]Ivy[/name] – I’m not so keen on these names. A kid might find the conception story a little embarassing.

[name]Gaia[/name] - agree, this one’s over the top. There is a well-known book called “The Revenge of [name]Gaia[/name]”.

[name]Thalia[/name] - beautiful

[name]Ardith[/name] – sounds like a person of passion (reminds me of ardent)

[name]Paris[/name] - doesn’t seem like your style …

[name]Meredith[/name] - doesn’t seem like your style, and a longish sort of name. Personally, I love this name. Not sure about a double M name, though, as you say…

I love the suggestion of [name]Calais[/name], I think [name]Calais[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] nn [name]Calla[/name] is adorable.

[name]Arden[/name] is the first thing that came to my mind – it is definitely a girl’s name and I love it.

[name]Brooke[/name] is another idea.

or [name]Daphne[/name].

Your husband seems to like names with -ph -th -ae or -ea in them. I am not good at compiling lists, but perhaps others have suggestions based on this.

I read your post, and I can’t imagine what it’s like for the baby to be here without a name. My hubbie and I haven’t been able to agree on names before we found out it was a girl so you all were better than us. The first thing that came to mind when I saw your description was [name]Laurel[/name]. I think it goes beautifully with [name]Miriam[/name]. I don’t have any more suggestions because in this naming game I’ve learned that less is more. Tell me what you think.

I need closure! I just stumbled into this thread :wink:

Yes I too just stumbled on this thread…how remarkable what punkedprincess had to say and SO [name]TRUE[/name]! Whatever name you end up w/becomes that person to sum it up!

I’m pretty sure the first name ended up being changed to [name]Lark[/name]. I think there was a [name]Miriam[/name] in there too. I’m not 100% sure though. Did you try the advanced search function looking for all of babygrey’s posts?

yep you are right sarah…i did an advanced search…and her name was lark juliet aster/miriam or something jackson