Frances Rosemary vs Rosemary Frances

My husband has fallen in love with the name [name_f]Frances[/name_f]. I think it’s fine (love classic names), but every person we’ve bounced it off of HATES it. They act like we said [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] or [name_f]Thelma[/name_f] or [name_f]Hilda[/name_f]. Our teens have bounced it off their friends too and have gotten only negative reactions also.

People seem to like [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]. So… We don’t make decisions based on others, but I also don’t want to saddle a child with a name that everyone seems to hate as their first reaction. Thoughts? Does anyone have a [name_f]Frances[/name_f]? [name_f]Do[/name_f] people think of an old man/old lady or the pope? Does it grow on people? Thoughts on [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]?

Our baby is due in 7 weeks! This will be baby #8

[name_f]Frances[/name_f] is a great name! In my experience people are far more critical when the name is still theoretical. Once a child is named, feelings about the name tend to mellow.

In general I prefer the flow of [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f], but if you both like [name_f]Frances[/name_f] more then you should definitely use it as the first name!

I agree with @brittanyanitarose that people are much harsher before things are set it stone. I know multiple younger (>20 years old) Franceses and they all wear the name well.

I love [name_f]Frances[/name_f], and it’s my definite favourite of those 2. [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is quite dated to me, though [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] or [name_f]Rose[/name_f] for short are sweet.

I agree with the pp who said that people will dislike a name in theory in a way few will do if its an actual baby’s name. So don’t tell anyone what you choose - you will never please everyone around you anyway!

And, no, [name_f]Frances[/name_f] is not dated like [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f], [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] or [name_f]Thelma[/name_f] - but for me, [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is!

I think [name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is lovely.

The only [name_f]Frances[/name_f] I know is 17…I prefer [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], but in general I like frilly names. :slight_smile: I don’t think [name_f]Frances[/name_f] is any more or less dated than [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], & I do think that [name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] has a slightly nicer flow. Nicknames, if you use them, could be [name_u]Fran[/name_u], [name_f]Franny[/name_f], or [name_u]Frankie[/name_u].

I like [name_f]Frances[/name_f]! Mostly I like the nn [name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f] sounds more “fresh” to me now- I think it will become more popular
If you love it, I think you should go with it in that order [name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]

[name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is a wonderful name and I definitely prefer the name in this particular order … [name_f]Frances[/name_f] is such a beautiful choice, I really do adore it. [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] is on my list, so perhaps that is why I love [name_f]Frances[/name_f] too! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is gorgeous! I know two teens named [name_f]Frances[/name_f] and the name suits them well.

[name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is beautiful and I hope you will stick with it. People are often more critical when they know a baby is not named yet.

I love [name_f]Frances[/name_f] AND [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], so I’d use whichever sounds better with the surname as the first name.

I am also in love with [name_f]Frances[/name_f]…and more in [name_u]Love[/name_u] with [name_f]Francine[/name_f].
I think [name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is amazing!!! I hope you use it :slight_smile:

Ok our last name starts with s… So I’m thinking [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] would sound better with it?

Yes that’s true strictly speaking - however I still prefer [name_f]Frances[/name_f] and would still use it with a surname beginning with s even though it’s not ideal.

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Francine[/name_f], as above?

I love [name_f]Frances[/name_f]. It’s my daughter’s middle name. I see it as literary, tailored, strong but also open and beautiful. I even went through a stage of wanting to swap it around so I could use it. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Franny[/name_f] or Francy.

[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] was on my list too, but I don’t like how it’s pronounced: [name_f]Rose[/name_f]-Mree. I would prefer [name_f]Rose[/name_f]-[name_f]Mary[/name_f] or even [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f].

I would choose [name_f]Frances[/name_f] (or [name_f]Francine[/name_f]) but [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is elegant and a happy-making name so you can’t really go wrong.

(I am from a big family - love my sibs but def a typical, slightly resentful middle child! There are many of us in that group. Fun but wild!)

I love both names and agree that they’re classic, elegant, sophisticated, and not too old lady-ish.

However, I will say that when I hear the name [name_f]Frances[/name_f], I immediately think “[name_u]Francis[/name_u]” and would associate the name with a boy much more than a girl.

[name_f]Frances[/name_f] is one of my favorite names, as is [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is beautiful and I wouldn’t worry too much about the S sound. My son is [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and our last name starts with the k sound but it’s never been an issue. Kudos to your husband for having fabulous taste!

Congratulations! [name_m]How[/name_m] exciting.
Personally, while I certainly don’t [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Frances[/name_f], I don’t hate it. If I knew a darling little girl named [name_f]Frances[/name_f], the name would cease to be something I disliked because I would associate it with a precious baby. That being said, I like the combo [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] much better than [name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]; I think it just flows very nicely. And also, you could name her [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] and call her by [name_f]Frances[/name_f], but if she chose, she could also go by [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] when she was older.

Thank you so much!
The other names we’ve considered are [name_f]Julia[/name_f] and [name_f]Brynn[/name_f]

I think of a boy too!