Freaking out about my girls list. HONEST opinions

I showed my top 20 list to my mum since she works with kids so I thought her opinion might be helpful and we generally have similar opinions (not big fans of surnames on girls and like some vintage names but still pretty well known though I like some rarer and more out there choices then her) but she only liked 5 of the 20 As a result I’m freaking out about my girls list any opinions good or bad are needed to put my mind at ease on the choices

The list is:

[name_f]Isobel[/name_f] “[name_f]Belle[/name_f]”
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u] “[name_f]Lulu[/name_f]”
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] “[name_f]Millie[/name_f]”(my mum prefers [name_f]Tilda[/name_f] though)
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] “’[name_f]Elea[/name_f]”
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] “[name_f]Millie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] (el-en-ah)
[name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] “[name_f]Belle[/name_f]”
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] “Fliss”
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] (ay-lee)
[name_f]Rosalia[/name_f] ( i prefer the Rozalija spelling but I think it’s a bit much since I’m mostly Scottish)
[name_f]Roisin[/name_f] (ro-sheen)
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f] “[name_f]Belle[/name_f]”
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] ‘’[name_f]Evie[/name_f]"’
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] “[name_f]Lula[/name_f]”’
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]

[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] is new to the list since I decided I don’t like [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] much anymore

Other names I love are: [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] “[name_f]Lula[/name_f]”, Wilhemina “[name_f]Minka[/name_f]”’, Illyria “[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]” and [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] “[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]”(the last four are gps though)

The ones my mum liked on the list were: [name_u]Eloise[/name_u], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]

Your list is nice (as is your list of additional loves) - I wouldn’t put too much into worrying about what your mother says. She grew up in a different generation afterall, and also probably has a great many different associations with names on people that you don’t. Working in child care doesn’t help the cause either - if one does not get along at all with a certain little rascal [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] (or his mother [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] for that matter), one is likely not to like the name [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] or [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] in general, if not forever at least for a while until the association’s died down (I used to work in child care myself, and many workmates used to dismiss names for their kids solely because they worked with a child with that name that they just did not get along with).

You and your Mum agree on 5 names on the list, good. But what does the baby’s father like?

Are you planning on having more than 5 daughters? Some may turn out to be sons.
Isn’t [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] usually called [name_f]Tillie[/name_f]? [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] is called [name_f]Milly[/name_f].

I never changed my mind about the names I chose when I was a teen, but I didn’t have enough children to use my entire list. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t panic, I think 5 girls names will be enough. Maybe it’s time to start a boy list. :slight_smile:

P.S. I maintain a never ending list of names for my “imaginary” children. I just love names!

@care I’m a teenager so no babies anytime soon which is why my list is so long. I’ve known a few [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]'s nicknamed [name_f]Millie[/name_f] and no one seems to question it

@sunniva thank you

There’s nothing wrong with your list. It’s tasteful and feminine. It just reflects your taste, not your mum’s, and that’s perfectly ok.

No need to overthink these things, really :wink: If you really like a name, it deserves to be on YOUR list. Whether it’ll make it to the real baby name list you’ll draw up with your partner in the future or not is completely irrelevant at this point, since you’re not there yet. Your list is your own to enjoy and revise as your taste changes and you find new names. It’s fine to show it to other people but never let their opinions affect your list. You can take these opinions into account when the time comes to get serious about a name for a real little person, but in the meantime they shouldn’t have too much impact on your taste.

I think of my name lists as catalogues of names that match my taste. No-one has a direct influence on what I like or not, and therefore no-one has a direct influence on my name lists.

If your name list no longer feels right, feel free to give it an overhaul (though I’d keep the old one just in the interest of seeing what I used to like). But don’t change it to please your mum. It’s not her list, it’s yours.

There is nothing wrong with your list! None of these are names that a child would have to be embarrassed or ashamed of. There’s some names on your list that are somewhat more out there ([name_f]Mirabel[/name_f], [name_f]Azalea[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]) or difficult to pronounce ([name_f]Eilidh[/name_f], [name_f]Roisin[/name_f]) which might be why your mom dislikes them, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with them. Many people also have personal associations with names. For example I love the name [name_f]Luna[/name_f] but my mom once met a terrible [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and now she does not like it anymore.

[name_m]Even[/name_m] if you just decided to consider those 5 names, 5 is great. Myself and my husband have only ever agreed upon 1 girls and 1 boys name, but luckily that is all we have needed so far. You are doing great. [name_m]Just[/name_m] go with the name that you love the most x

Thank you everyone it’s made me feel a lot better

Your mom will learn to love your children’s names no matter what you choose. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t let her opinion sway you out of a name you really, truly love if it feels right to you. You do have plenty of time, and at some point will have a partner to share this decision with, and your mom’s feelings will carry a whole lot less weight. I’ve had names picked out for years and years, like you. Some of the names I decided on as a teenager, I’m still in love with ([name_f]Juliet[/name_f]) and some I have grown out of (Aleana [name_f]Mae[/name_f] and [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Grey[/name_u], oof, bad younger me!). I always tried to keep myself from getting stuck too hard on any one name because I couldn’t anticipate what my baby’s father would love or veto–is my favorite name his vile ex-girlfriend’s? Did I pick a name he associates with an awful relative? So keep thinking and dreaming and planning, but plan to change your plans, too!

Honestly, every name on your list is delightful and very wearable. I really like all of them and think you have great taste.
You can plan on certain nicknames, but you’d be surprised how many different nicknames organically happen with baby names. We have an [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] in the family who is sometimes called [name_f]Mia[/name_f], sometimes [name_f]Ami[/name_f]. A friend has a [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] who goes by [name_f]Genna[/name_f], [name_f]Vivi[/name_f], and Vieve (VEE-ev) depending on who is calling her. The beauty of it is that [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] may always be your sweet [name_f]Belle[/name_f], but has the flexibility to be [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] in other circles. She can grow into it and make it her own! I love that you chose so many names that can go so many ways.

[name_f]Isobel[/name_f]- [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] THIS.
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u]- Super cute yet elegant!
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]- This is my FAVE name right now!!! Stunning!!
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]- Strong and sweet.
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]- Nice sound, but it’s a bit too popular to me.
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]- Once again, nice but too popular. I like [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] better.
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]- This is super cute!!
[name_f]Mirabel[/name_f]- This is a great name.
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]- This name sounds happy and classy at the same time. [name_u]Win[/name_u]-win!
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]- Pretty sound, but it’s very popular where I live.
[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]- Wow!!! [name_f]Lovely[/name_f]!
[name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]- Elegant and a nice alternative to [name_f]Rose[/name_f]!
[name_f]Roisin[/name_f]- So freaking cute!!! Ahh!!
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]- Reminds me of [name_m]Iggy[/name_m] [name_f]Azalea[/name_f]…
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]- Also a favorite of mine!
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]- [name_u]Love[/name_u] this!
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]- So cute, but does it age well?
[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]- Ehh…not so nice…
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]- Cute!
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]- Another ABSOLUTE [name_m]FAVORITE[/name_m]!!! Keep this one on your list!!
Overall you have a very nice taste in names, it’s similar to mine haha!

My favorites:

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] (I prefer the nn [name_f]Tilly[/name_f])
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] (I would go for nn [name_u]Nori[/name_u], though)
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]

I love [name_u]Eloise[/name_u], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f], [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] and [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] from your list. I like [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] (Fliss is such a sweet nickname!) and [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] (though would replace it with [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]) and am neutral on [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]. I also agree that the [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f] spelling would be more usable than Rozalija which might also cause some pronunciation issues in an English speaking country. I’m not a fan of the rest. From your additional names I love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] but I like [name_f]Minka[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f].

I don’t think there’s anything to particularly freak out about on your list as most of your names are usable and common/heard of enough not to sound strange. As @hailwidis has said, since you’re still a long time away from having children, your list is just for fun and should be personal to you. Your mother’s opinions shouldn’t really have a big affect on it. My mother dislikes most of the more unusual names on my list, as she has a different taste to me. She generally prefers popular names, whereas I (whilst I do love some popular choices too) tend to lean towards more unusual choices or names from other European languages.

Firstly, I really like [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] nicknamed [name_f]Millie[/name_f] and think I may add it to my list as that… As I love the name but cannot go with [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] as that’s my dog’s name, lol! Anyway, onto your list…

It feels like a typical British/Australian/[name_m]New[/name_m] Zealander (well, anything but typical American) list.

[name_f]Isobel[/name_f] - perfectly fine and usable, I adore this spelling and name and would use it myself if my cousin didn’t have a daughter named it
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u] - love this, perfectly usable and I have it on my own list to honour
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] - see my opening comment, adore
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - not a huge fan of it but there is nothing wrong with the name
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - I have a cousin called this who goes by [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] and I like it, [name_f]Elea[/name_f] is also really intriguing and makes it feel more modern
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] - also love [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] nicknamed [name_f]Millie[/name_f] (as well as [name_f]Mia[/name_f]), gorgeous name
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] - I prefer [name_f]Elena[/name_f] pronounced eh-[name_m]LAY[/name_m]-nah, kind of bummed it’s not this pronunciation but nothing wrong with the name
[name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] - not a big fan of this, seems kind of old lady in a rocking chair-esque
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] - like this name but not a huge fan of Fliss
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] - really like this name but the silly error of people spelling it [name_f]Pheobe[/name_f] puts me off
[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] - a big fan of this name although I see it having a lot of spelling and pronunciation issues if you don’t live in [name_m]Britain[/name_m]/are Irish
[name_f]Rosalia[/name_f] - definitely avoid the Rozalija spelling, a good name though
[name_f]Roisin[/name_f] - see [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f] - really like this but I am bummed that [name_m]Iggy[/name_m] pretty much stole it lol
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f] - cannot get enough of this beautiful name
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] - see [name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] - I think it’s a sweet and harsh name rolled into one which makes it feel a little awkward to me, names like [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and [name_u]Eloise[/name_u] are similar but a lot more softer
[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] - I have a soft spot for this name but I would never use it myself because I can’t imagine an adult [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] - love this name
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] - a timeless name with lots of potential, it’s really familiar but it isn’t used as heavily as it used to so it will be refreshing if used

My favourites are [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_u]Eloise[/name_u], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Isobel[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Elena[/name_f].

[name_m]How[/name_m] about…

[name_u]Meredith[/name_u]
[name_f]Gwenivere[/name_f]/[name_f]Guinivere[/name_f]
[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] (AY-oh-winn)
[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]

[name_f]Isobel[/name_f] “[name_f]Belle[/name_f]” - beautiful, love the Scottish variation of the traditional [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u] “[name_f]Lulu[/name_f]”- its an okay name but reminds me of an elegant version of the much of the overused [name_f]Louise[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] “[name_f]Millie[/name_f]”(my mum prefers [name_f]Tilda[/name_f] though) - very cute, I’d use the nickname [name_f]Tillie[/name_f] but [name_f]Millie[/name_f] is adorable on it’s own
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]- a classic!
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] “’[name_f]Elea[/name_f]” - a very strong, mature name, not too keen on the nickname though, sorry!
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] “[name_f]Millie[/name_f]” - Nice but overused, prefer [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] or even plain [name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] (el-en-ah) - i much prefer [name_f]Elena[/name_f] to [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] “[name_f]Belle[/name_f]” - I don’t like this one that much, sorry again!
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] “Fliss”- i’m not really into virtue names but the meaning behind it is really lovely and jovial
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] - a cute name but always makes me think of the Phoebes from Charmed and Friends (both are lovely but a bit ditzy haha)
[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] (ay-lee) - i don’t like it
[name_f]Rosalia[/name_f] ( i prefer the Rozalija spelling but I think it’s a bit much since I’m mostly Scottish)
[name_f]Roisin[/name_f] (ro-sheen) - the spelling is nice but dislike the harsh “sheen” sound to it
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]- I used to like this name until [name_m]Iggy[/name_m] [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] ruined it :smiley:
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f] “[name_f]Belle[/name_f]” - better than [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] but still prefer [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] ‘’[name_f]Evie[/name_f]"’ - beautiful, classic name that isn’t over used
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] - I used to love this name as a child but I’ve grown out of it now
[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] “[name_f]Lula[/name_f]”’ - I love the [name_f]Lula[/name_f] part
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] - sweet name that ages well
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] - a very common name, I had 5 [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]'s in my Biology class alone :smiley:

I’d say [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] are my absolute favourites

[name_f]Isobel[/name_f]- I prefer the [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] spelling but nonetheless it’s a lovely solid name.
[name_u]Eloise[/name_u]- It’s okay. [name_u]Eloise[/name_u] has always just been one of those names I have never liked.
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]- This is also another name I have just never liked.
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]- I’m neutral. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is kind of boring to me but I think it’s a sweet name.
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. I’m neutral on this one too.
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]- I prefer [name_f]Emilia[/name_f].
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]- This is cute, I like it.
[name_f]Mirabel[/name_f]- I’m not a fan.
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]- I don’t like it. I’ve also just never liked this name either though.
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]- I think [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] is cute but it’s more of something I would name my pet than a person.
[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]- Interesting, but I’m not a fan.
[name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]- Cute. This is an interesting variation of [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f].
[name_f]Roisin[/name_f]- I don’t like it.
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]- This is interesting. I would save it to be used as a middle name personally though.
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]- This sounds like one of those trendy made-up names to me therefore I’m not a fan.
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]- I like it.
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]- [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] is definitely growing on me.
[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]- I do not like this name whatsoever.
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]- This is another name that is definitely growing on me.
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]- I’m not a fan. [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] seems dated to me

You have some really good names on this list. As PP pointed out, I wouldn’t put much stock into how your mother feels. She is much older than you and therefor the line for her “normal” and “abnormal” names is going to be different than yours. No matter waht you pick, chances are she is accept it, get used to it, and eventually love it.

Isobel - Not a fan. Too over used. I do not like [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] either.
Eloise - Gorgeous name.
Matilda - Great strong handsome like name. I think there are so many good nn ideas.
Alice - Boring, plain.
Eleanor - I semi like these names, along with [name_f]Lenore[/name_f]. Particularly I adore [name_m]Len[/name_m] and [name_m]Lenny[/name_m] for nn’s.
Amelia - Boring, plain, getting old.
Elena - Old timey, I do not like it.
Mirabel - It’s OK.
Felicity - It’s OK.
Phoebe - It’s alright if not a bit trendy right now.
Eilidh - Not a fan of the name.
Rosalia - Trendy, overused, etc. But it is pretty.
Roisin - [name_u]Love[/name_u] this one, gorgeous name. Fairly easy for anyone to pronounce or recognize.
Azalea - Very gorgeous.
Arabella - Not a fan at all. I liken it to all the Isabellas and Abigails, etc.
Genevieve - It’s OK.
Elodie - It’s eh, alright.
Tallulah - I never liked this name. Leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth, I hate all the sounds of it. So ugly to me.
Ruby - Boring, sigh, overused.
Rebecca - Plain boring, dated, no.
Charlotte - Same as last two. Boring, overused.
Isla - It’s ok but it’s overused, talked about all the time and extremely trendy right now.
Eulalia - It’s OK.
Wilhemina - It’s OK.
Illyria - Ehhhh.
Artemis - [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] this name.

My four favorites on your list are:

[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]

My four least favorites:

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]

Best wishes!