Freddie

So over the past few weeks I’ve been growing to love the name [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]. I love how cute it is while still having a strong serious side. I also have [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] on my list but [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] is a name I can’t stand (weird I know) so I’m not really interested in using that and [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] seems too old and royal since I immediately think of [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_m]Frederik[/name_m] of Denmark. I live in Australia where nicknames as first names are a little more common and accepted then in the US.

So what does everyone think of [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]?

[name_u]Freddie[/name_u] is pretty cute; it’s increasingly common here in the UK. (I know two little boys with that name.) I would still go for [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] though, so he has the option later in life to use a more mature name.

I like [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] a lot, it reminds me of [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] [name_u]Mercury[/name_u]. I also love [name_m]Fred[/name_m].

I like the nn [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], but it may not necessarily age well. Some men might be able to pull it off, but on others it would seem very juvenile. I’d probably go with [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] or another more mature sounding version as the given name, personally.

I like it.

The first thing that comes to mind is the Scooby Doo character, to be honest.
However, I don’t dislike it! I’m a fan of nickname names as long as they aren’t uncommon where the baby will be growing up, and as long they have another nickname just in case he grows up disliking his name (it happens!). [name_u]Red[/name_u] could be a cute nickname for [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], and [name_m]Eddie[/name_m] works too, so [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] passes my test!
Have you considered [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m]?

Yes! [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] (and [name_m]Eddie[/name_m]) are both wonderful, strong, and a bit quirky (in a great way!) :slight_smile:

I do also love [name_m]Frederic[/name_m], but definitely do not think you should choose it if you are meh or so-so about it. Go with what you love! [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] is perfectly fine as a standalone, imo.

I personally would go with a [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] or another more mature sounding version as the given name aswell!

[name_u]Freddie[/name_u] is so cute! I think it works well on both a child and an adult. I also agree that he could go by something else as he got older, if he wanted to (such as [name_m]Fred[/name_m], [name_m]Ed[/name_m], [name_u]Red[/name_u], etc)

I do like [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], but if you don’t, I definitely think you should just use [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]. Especially in a place where nickname names are popular, it wouldnt be odd to meet a just [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]!

I really like [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], maybe because I am from the UK I am comfortable with nicknames as first names. I do also like [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] but I do think that in this day and age [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] can be the full name. He can always go by [name_m]Fred[/name_m] as an adult.

I love [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], but not [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]. It reminds me of [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] Kruger and [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] [name_u]Mercury[/name_u].

I really like [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], but my personal preference is to use a more formal name and then [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] as the nickname. I don’t think there is anything wrong going straight [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], but you might get stuck answering questions about what his full name is.

I love it!

Thing is I don’t even like [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] it’s just old, I can’t imagibe anyone under 60 with the name (even though I associate it with [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_m]Frederik[/name_m]) and I don’t see the point on giving a child a name they will never be called.

Just Freddie is at 17 in the UK so there’s plenty of boys running around with that as a full name.

I think it’s fine on it’s own. I love the name [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]! So cute. And I think it could work on any age :slight_smile: I also like [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] though, but it does sound awfully serious.

I love it on its own. It reminds me of the little brother in A Room with a View, playful and adorable.

I might put [name_m]Fred[/name_m] on the birth certificate, because it sounds more grown up. But if a whole cohort of Freddies and Charlies comes up together, it won’t be such a factor. And, hey, [name_m]Fred[/name_m] can be a nickname for [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] just as well as [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] can be a nickname for [name_m]Frederick[/name_m].

I love [name_u]Freddie[/name_u].