Frederick, Frederic, Freddy, Freddie

[name]Hi[/name]! Which spelling do you like better: [name]Frederick[/name] or [name]Frederic[/name]?

And which NN spelling: [name]Freddie[/name] or [name]Freddy[/name]?

Thanks!

[name]Frederick[/name] nn [name]Freddie[/name]. Nice choice btw! [name]Rachel[/name]

I prefer [name]Frederick[/name] nn [name]Freddie[/name], as well. [name]Frederic[/name] looks like it should be pronounced [name]Fred[/name]-e-reek. [name]Freddy[/name] doesn’t look quite right.

I agree with both of you! One more question…

[name]Frederick[/name] or [name]Alfred[/name]?

Hubby and I both like NN [name]Freddie[/name], but he’s not wild about [name]Frederick[/name]. Yet, anyway. I’ve got a good 8 months to convince him! But if that fails I need a backup, which is where [name]Alfred[/name] comes in. Maybe.

WDYT?

I agree [name]Frederick[/name] nn [name]Freddie[/name]. I do like [name]Alfred[/name] too but I prefer [name]Frederick[/name]… although the option of [name]Alfie[/name] is very appealing! You can always use the “I’m the one giving birth” thing if it comes to it…!

Other names to get [name]Freddie[/name]:
[name]Wilfred[/name] - love this! So ready for a come back…
Malfred
[name]Manfred[/name]
Ingfred
Lefred

Best of luck, [name]Val[/name] x

[name]Frederick[/name]/[name]Freddie[/name]

I would use [name]Frederick[/name] nn [name]Freddy[/name]. [name]Frederic[/name] looks incomplete to me for some reason… Very handsome choice btw!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]! [name]Love[/name] the ck spelling!
Definitely prefer it over [name]Frederic[/name] and most certainly over [name]Alfred[/name].

But, I would spell the nn [name]Freddy[/name]. The ie spelling is very girly in my opinion.

Maybe your DH would prefer [name]Wilfred[/name] and you have the choice of nns Wilf, [name]Will[/name], [name]Fred[/name] or [name]Freddy[/name]

I forgot all about [name]Wilfred[/name]! It’s pretty cute, and one to think about…of course it doesn’t work with my top girl pick, [name]Willa[/name].

Ha! Thanks for the suggestions though!

Lefred cracks me up! This is my son, The [name]Fred[/name]. :lol:

Hehe! Apparently Lefred is an Old English name meaning “dear or trusted counsel” - you learn something new everyday! And yes it is pronounced leh-fred! [name]Glad[/name] I could cheer you up!

[name]Val[/name] x

[name]Frederick[/name], for sure! Fabulous choice! [name]Freddy[/name] looks more masculine to me than [name]Freddie[/name], but [name]Freddie[/name] is okay too.

[name]Frederick[/name]. [name]Freddie[/name].

My daughter is [name]Frederique[/name], and gets mostly [name]Fred[/name] (we fell in love with the nickname [name]Fred[/name] for a girl via [name]Joss[/name] Whedon’s series [name]Angel[/name], though that [name]Fred[/name] is [name]Winifred[/name].) Our [name]Fred[/name] has been [name]Freddy[/name] at school and creche and always with a y, so curiously I tend to think of the y as feminine and the ‘ie’ as masculine.

I think the ‘risk’ with [name]Alfred[/name] is that he might end up being [name]Alfie[/name] and if you prefer [name]Freddie[/name], then best to go with [name]Frederick[/name]. People tend to riff on the first syllable for a nickname. No one (thank god) has ever called [name]Fred[/name] [name]Ricki[/name] for example though a friend pointed out soon after she was born that it was a viable nickname (to my abject horror).

“No one (thank god) has ever called [name]Fred[/name] [name]Ricki[/name] for example though a friend pointed out soon after she was born that it was a viable nickname (to my abject horror).”

Haha! That is my main fear with [name]Frederick[/name]. [name]Rick[/name]. There needs to be an emoticon for shudder.

[name]Frederick[/name] / [name]Freddie[/name]

While I definitely prefer -ck over -c ending (I also see Fredereeek there), I don’t have a serious preference for -ie v -y ending. I do agree with the previous post taht generally -ie seems girlier, but here it doesn’t bother me. I think you’re good with whichever you prefer.