French Berries - thoughts on Bertille?

I have a name crush on [name_f]Bertille[/name_f] - I think it’s so lovely and though it’s not very [name_m]French[/name_m] to abbreviate names, I love both [name_u]Bertie[/name_u] and [name_f]Tillie[/name_f] as potential nicknames.

Would love to know if [name_f]Bertille[/name_f] is a bit outdated in [name_f]France[/name_f]?

Appreciate opinions on [name_f]Bertille[/name_f] as well.

I am partly [name_m]French[/name_m], speak [name_m]French[/name_m] and am living in [name_f]France[/name_f], but since I live under a rock I can’t tell you how the name [name_f]Bertille[/name_f] is percieved in terms of style status. [name_m]Just[/name_m] looking at the statistics, it doesn’t seem too uncommon, but it certainly isn’t a name you hear every day.

Personally, I rather like it. It is reminiscent of [name_f]Berthe[/name_f], which I place in the same category as fellow turn-of-the-century choices such as [name_u]Germaine[/name_u], [name_f]Marthe[/name_f] and [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], which are all rather charming. [name_f]Bertille[/name_f] also reminds me of myrtilles, which is the [name_m]French[/name_m] for bilberries.

[name_f]Bertille[/name_f] is an old [name_m]French[/name_m] name, definitely, but it is the kind of name that is coming back, just like Léonie, [name_m]Ad[/name_m]èle, [name_m]Gaspard[/name_m], Léon, etc. It is not outdated.

I know one little [name_f]Bertille[/name_f], sister of [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] and many of my friends were/are considering [name_f]Bertille[/name_f] for their hypothetical kid.

I like the name, but I much prefer Albertille. I think Americans would pronounce the L at the end though :confused:

I think it it is very cute! Though the french pronunciation is more like BER-tee-yeh (if that makes sense?)
But i [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the nickname [name_u]Bertie[/name_u]! You could even call her Birdy!! So so cute :slight_smile:
Here’s a link to a pronunciation video!

Hannahcarmeen: It depends what region people are from. I say it [name_f]Bertee[/name_f] :slight_smile: but in the South they [name_u]Berti[/name_u]-ye.

Thank you. I have heard both pronunciations used but more so with an understated ‘ye’ at the end ie. [name_u]Bert[/name_u]-ye. We are in an English speaking country where it would always be pronounced [name_u]Bert[/name_u]-teal unfortunately. The beauty is always lost in translation!