French names?

I posted yesterday about hubby’s and my different naming styles, thanks for all the suggestions! We talked about it a lot yesterday. Hubby seems to be leaning toward names with a French feel (Not names actually popular in [name]France[/name] right now.)

1. [name]Aria[/name] is still a front runner, although I’m not really sold on it.

2. [name]Vivienne[/name] is clinging to the edge of the table (hubbys worried that Texans will butcher the way we want it pronounced… I think there’s not that many ways to pronounce [name]Vivienne[/name] lol) So if anyone has Ideas on selling [name]Vivienne[/name] i’m up for suggestions!

3. We’ve also discussed Auralie/[name]Aurora[/name] (my pref/hubby’s pref).

If anyone has any other suggestions of French, or French feeling names i’d love to have some more options.

I love [name]Vivienne[/name] (I only know of one way to say it!) And [name]Vivi[/name] is such a sweet nickname!

[name]Colette[/name]
[name]Aurore[/name]
Cyrielle / [name]Cyrille[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Aveline[/name]
Athénaïs
Floriane
[name]Lucinde[/name]

[name]Fleur[/name]! I love [name]Fleur[/name] and nobody uses it much, plus nobody mispronounces it either. It’s too French for my husband so I have it as a middle name. I hear [name]Odette[/name] a lot for an under the radar French name but if you’re in [name]Texas[/name] it might bear too close a resemblance to [name]Odessa[/name].

[name]Genevieve[/name] is my other favorite that is French. I’ve gone back and forth about the pronunciation and I think I prefer the French “(zhahn)-VEE-ev” Zhahn is like [name]John[/name] but with a little z sound at first. I do like [name]Jenna[/name]-Veev as well.

[name]Claire[/name] is very simple but I think it’s a classic chic name. It’s versatile too, as a middle name or a first name and has variations to suit your tastes and needs.

I have a fondness for French names but unfortunately my husband does not so I really have to hold myself back.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Ariane[/name]?
My favorite is Céleste. Also really like Océane.
Or how about Louane, [name]Charline[/name], Ophélie, [name]Coralie[/name]?

Ooh, I like your names! [name]Vivienne[/name] is just so classy! [name]Aria[/name] is gaining in popularity (thanks to Game of Thrones?), don’t know how high it will climb or if this would matter to you. I prefer [name]Aurelie[/name] over [name]Aurora[/name], but I would worry that the Auralie (spelt with an “a”) version might be butchered into “orally”. Eep!

Some other suggestions:
[name]Amelie[/name] - too popular?
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Carmen[/name] - actually, is this even French? Lol.
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Emmanuelle[/name]
Noémie
[name]Orielle[/name]

I absolutely love Aurélie! It’s one of my favorite girls’ names, and if [name]Arianne[/name] (another lovely French name!) wasn’t my second choice for a girl, Aurélie would probably take its place. :slight_smile: I think it’s so charming and captivating. [name]Vivienne[/name] nn [name]Vivi[/name] is really sweet, too. :slight_smile:

A lot of great ones have been suggested ([name]LOVE[/name] [name]Odette[/name], [name]Fleur[/name], [name]Ophelie[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], and [name]Aurore[/name]!). What about:

[name]Violette[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Liliane[/name] (I think this is so sweet and adorable… I think lil-YAHN is the correct French pronunciation? I think the diminutive hot-as-wildfire, French [name]Lilou[/name] would be adorable as a nn for this, too. And when I say hot-as-wildfire French, I mean hot-as-wildfire in [name]France[/name], lol…)
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Arielle[/name]
[name]Leonie[/name]
[name]Anais[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] (said like care-oh-leen in French… not sure how easy it would be to get that pronunciation ANYWHERE but in [name]France[/name], though…)

Good luck!

My favorites are [name]Coralie[/name] and Jovienne (nn [name]Jovie[/name])

My top three are
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Ghislaine[/name]
[name]Celine[/name]

In [name]Canada[/name] we have TONS of french names( because of our second language being French) so I will list a few of my favourites.

Geneviève ( pronounced gen- vie - ev)
[name]Nicolette[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Lilou[/name] (my friend’s name is this)
[name]Avril[/name]
Océanne
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Lilas[/name] ( [name]Lilac[/name] in french)
[name]Marielle[/name]
Amélie( my neighbors just named their baby girl this a week ago!)
[name]Colette[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
Cassandree
[name]Elodie[/name]

I think [name]Vivienne[/name] is pretty hard to butcher. Here are some more French names. I focused on the ones that would be easy in English:

[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Bernadette[/name]
[name]Corinne[/name]
[name]Danielle[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Helene[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Jade[/name]
[name]Lucie[/name]
[name]Margaux[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name]
[name]Oriane[/name]
[name]Roxane[/name]
[name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Therese[/name]
[name]Yvonne[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you want something that is currently stylish in [name]France[/name] as well as the States? If so I wouldnt use an “ette” name, [name]Lilou[/name], [name]Delphine[/name] or Océane. Theyre all either out of fashion or not considered very classy. Are you French? Is that why youre worried about pronunciation? I think [name]Vivienne[/name] is actually a good choice for both countries.

If you let me know what style you like or what youre looking for I can come up with a good list but here’s one I made up for someone else. Im not sure how pronounceable these are for English speakers, I plan use Athénaïs because we split time between both [name]France[/name]/US but I havent met an english speaker who didnt mangle it :frowning:

A good variety of classic or stylish but not too popular
Bérénice
célestine
Azélie
eugénie
Thaïs
Léonie
Clémence
[name]Margot[/name]
Ludivine - had a big popularity spike within the last 20 years but I like it
Béatrice,
Bérangère,
[name]El[/name]éonore
[name]Anne[/name]-[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Colombe[/name]
Geneviève
[name]Honorine[/name]
[name]Josiane[/name] (considered very old lady/not stylish but I like it)
Mazarine (sounds like margarine/magazine and has the Mitterrand connection which probably makes it unusable but I like)

I love [name]Aria[/name], it’s beautiful and unique! [name]Vivienne[/name] is in second place because it’s a lot more common but it’s also very lovely.

Mazarine is very pretty, I have never heard that one before.

I’m not necessarily looking for a name actually popular in [name]France[/name], I can’t pronounce French to save my life! Lol I think hubby is looking for a name that just “feels” French, or an Americanized version of a French name. :slight_smile: Thanks!!!

I like them except for [name]Vivienne[/name] because it always reminds me of Pretty Woman and [name]Julia[/name] [name]Roberts[/name] character was a prostitute.

Here are some French names that have been popularly used in the U.S.

[name]Anne[/name]
[name]Augustine[/name]
[name]Bernadette[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Celine[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Diane[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Justine[/name]