French speakers help

I saw a name today somewhere else: [name_f]Chanson[/name_f].

I’m aware it’s a french word, meaning song. I’m also aware that in french it’d be different than in [name_f]English[/name_f]. I’m pronouncing it chance-in or chan-son basically. I just want to know is this actually a name? If not could it work as a name? Does this pronunciation sound silly? Tell me what you think!

1 Like

[name_f]Chanson[/name_f] is not a recognized name. It is as you said the [name_u]French[/name_u] word for song.
The [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation is something like [name_m]Shon[/name_m]- son except the ‘on’ of both [name_m]Shon[/name_m] and the second syllable ‘son’, doesn’t sound the n - it’s a nasal short o. Sorry that may not be clear.
I think I really like it pronounced - [name_u]Chance[/name_u] - sen. [name_f]Pretty[/name_f] much the same as you are saying it.
rhymes with Jansen… I am just not sure about spelling the name [name_f]Chanson[/name_f] though. I would want to say it with [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation as might others. I think it’s a brilliant source for a name but just question having the exact spelling. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] that’s of some help

4 Likes

I mean, nameberry says it’s a name… :woman_shrugging:t2: It sounds really word-y to me. But really, it feels equivalent to naming a child [name_u]Lyric[/name_u] or Song or [name_f]Music[/name_f] in [name_f]English[/name_f]. So it’s not impossible, but I wouldn’t say I’m overly fond of it. I especially don’t like that in [name_f]English[/name_f], people would assume it was pronounced “Chan-sun!”

Perhaps [name_f]Melodie[/name_f] or [name_f]Harmonie[/name_f] would suit you, too! These just have much less of a margin for mispronunciation.

2 Likes

I think that if someone named their child [name_f]Chanson[/name_f] in [name_f]France[/name_f] or any other [name_u]French[/name_u] speaking country, people might raise a few eyebrows! I know nameberry says its a name, but the [name_u]French[/name_u] speaking world might disagree tbh. If my honest answer hasn’t put you off (:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) then pronunciation wise, its shon-son with the second n not pronounced!

2 Likes

It’s not a name in [name_u]French[/name_u]. No offence to the Nameberry owners, but they’re wrong about [name_u]French[/name_u] names a lot of the time. If you want a name with the same meaning that is used in [name_f]France[/name_f], I would suggest [name_u]Carmen[/name_u].

2 Likes

Yes I like it pronounced like [name_m]Jansen[/name_m]. So you think it would be weird/trendy/too unique too spell it Chansen or Chancen?

Yeah I wouldn’t want to do that. I’m in the US, but I wouldn’t want anyone who speaks french to look at me crazy and I don’t like that pronunciation. I like it more like rhyming with [name_m]Jansen[/name_m], sort of like chancey. Chance-in… I don’t know if that’s super weird though, even a name?

I feel like you can’t really change the way [name_u]French[/name_u] speakers will pronounce it given that it is actually a [name_u]French[/name_u] word. Of course if you like it, then go ahead and pronounce it the way you want. I’d just be prepared to be met with interesting comments. For me personally, I as a [name_u]French[/name_u] speaker find it strange that Nameberry has put it down as a name when it definitely isn’t one at all. [name_f]My[/name_f] honest opinion would be that the parent who used the name is trying to be unique and different but not in a good way. It might also unfortunately be seen as disrespectful if the family has no relation to the [name_u]French[/name_u] culture. Disrespectful only because you mentioned that you don’t like the actual correct pronunciation of the word when it is a [name_u]French[/name_u] word. If it was me, I’d be thinking why use it then if you aren’t going to even pronounce it correctly? I’d just bare that in mind is all. I’m not saying don’t use a [name_u]French[/name_u] name at all, but perhaps choose a name that is actually a name that has a similar meaning like @choupette suggested. I hope this isn’t too harsh a comment, I just think you need to be aware of certain points if you are considering this as a name! :relieved:

@RhiaTayler I really like this idea. By that I mean Chansen… NOT [name_f]Chanson[/name_f].
If we are clear, you are NOT interested in the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation or actually having a name that means song.
Rather the word has given you the idea for a nice sounding name which is pronounced in [name_f]English[/name_f] or American :smile: as [name_u]Chance[/name_u] - en very similar to [name_m]Jansen[/name_m].
So if you have the different spelling I see no confusion with ‘Chanson.’
I really like it. I would compare it to [name_m]Jansen[/name_m]. Think about the pronunciation of the first sound Ch. What other names are there like it? e.g. [name_m]Hansen[/name_m]. What are your chances of getting it pronounced correctly?
Sorry if I’ve got this wrong. If not, maybe put this to Berries in the new format, without the [name_f]Chanson[/name_f] idea that it came from. [name_u]Or[/name_u] at least showing how its now different.
Yes its 'unique". I don’t see trendy but I’m not in the States. I am always surprised by how there is someone else who has had a similar idea. It’s hard to be original. Best wishes.

@RhiaTayler This is a great suggestion! If I saw it written as Chansen, I would totally pronounce it differently (chance-sen instead of shon-son) which would avoid complete confusion. I also don’t think that people would necessarily think it’s a take on a French word so you’d be to get away with it a lot more than keeping Chanson with a different pronunciation!

I’m so sorry if I offended you when I said I didn’t like the pronunciation! I meant for a first name, it wasn’t something I’d use, because I’m not french and can’t pronounce it correctly. I think the french language is beautiful, and there are very many actual french names I adore. I do like the sound of chanson (in french) just not as a first name! Which based on the advice you guys have given me, would be sort of odd as a name anyways. I didn’t mean to offend anyone! I think I’ll just look for other similar sounding names, since Chancen/Chansen doesn’t seem to be a name at all, rather than an embellishment of the name chance, and [name_f]Chanson[/name_f] is a word and not a name. Thank you all for your suggestions!!

Why does it matter that its a [name_u]French[/name_u] word not used as a name in [name_f]France[/name_f] if you don’t live in a [name_u]French[/name_u] speaking country? Isn’t that like saying Song isn’t a name in [name_f]English[/name_f]? Who is even going to care?

@RhiaTayler, I see you have described Chansen as an embellishment of [name_u]Chance[/name_u]. I was thinking that too. Like [name_u]Grayson[/name_u]. I am not sure if that’s good or not though. Depends how much you like the name [name_u]Chance[/name_u], I guess. I have never heard [name_u]Chance[/name_u] used in Australia so I can’t tell really for myself.
I don’t think very many people know or perhaps remember, that [name_f]Chanson[/name_f] is a [name_u]French[/name_u] word. I can’t imagine why it was put on the name list.
You certainly never offended me in any way and Shõsõ would be a terrible name. :nauseated_face:
Looking forward to your next name suggestion.

@RhiaTayler I think there has been some major misunderstanding on my part and I am sorry for that! You honestly didn’t offend me at all! I firmly believe that people are entitled to name their children whatever they like but whatever they name them, someone somewhere will probably have something to say about it. I just wanted to make sure you were aware that [name_f]Chanson[/name_f] isn’t classified as a name in [name_u]French[/name_u] speaking countries. Certainly, like most words, nearly anything can given to a child and we can categorise them as a ‘word name,’ but as a [name_u]French[/name_u] speaker, I personally wouldn’t name my child this. [name_f]My[/name_f] opinion is only one of many and I responded to my initial feelings on the topic. I hope my response, of which I base on my experience, hasn’t annoyed or offended anybody reading it and I wish you all the best!

This is how I feel about it as a French speaker! I think it’s fine to say the name however you want, and even fine to spell it Chanson, but if you do, don’t pretend that it’s a French word name meaning “song” because at that point, it isn’t. That would be like a French person naming their kid Blaze pronounced “blahz” (because that’s how it would be said in French) and saying it means “feu” in English. We would find that a bit strange, right? To me, it’s the same with Chanson.

1 Like