Freya- biblical sounding/Hebraic sounding?

I mean this gently and with respect. Going back to the original question, she was worried about her child being pigeoned holed as Jewish for using the name [name_f]Freya[/name_f], however she mentioned she is Jewish. Actually being Jewish could pigeon hole your child as Jewish, as well as your last name more then any first name you pick. [name_m]Just[/name_m] pick the name you like, pick the name that is in your heart. It is a great freedom that you are not limited in what name you can choose. [name_f]Do[/name_f] not worry about other people. Other people will find whatever associations they what they want anyway. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t over plan it, or you won’t do what is in your heart.

Names are one of those things you can not control, and you can not control all the personal associations people may or may not have with a name you choose. People also use a lot of different associations when deciphering a name and their feelings for a name. Not everyone is going to google the name(s) you choose or go to name berry to get the official line on it. In fact no one is. Also these name associations change over time. Also just because an association is not the majority doesn’t make it invalid.

Many names (even if it does not mention it here) are commonly used in multiple places, and we will not always know that because of language barriers, [name_f]Mia[/name_f] is popular in [name_m]Israel[/name_m], [name_u]America[/name_u], [name_f]Italy[/name_f], Latin countries, Scandinavia, Greece, [name_f]Russia[/name_f] and other slavic countries. Another example is [name_f]Sonia[/name_f], it is VERY popular in [name_f]India[/name_f] and is a Hindu name as well, but westerners associate it with [name_f]Russia[/name_f] and [name_f]Italy[/name_f]. It has multiple origin stories as well. Concern yourself with your associations not other peoples.

Our library recently read “A sack full of feathers” a Jewish folk tale. The main characters are [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Rifke[/name_f], [name_m]Yossi[/name_m], and [name_m]Yankel[/name_m]. Maybe [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is also used in Jewish communities, or in [name_m]Israel[/name_m] I do not know, and the internet doesn’t tell you everything. It could be a name with overlap like [name_f]Mia[/name_f]. If you are so fearful of having a hebrew or Jewish connection, I would think for most people it would have a strong Nordic connection, but how many people know anything about Nordic stories, names or mythology? consider spelling it with a J. [name_f]Freja[/name_f], Seeming how there is no J in the hebrew alphabet you should be able to steer clear of any unwanted associations (to a degree).

Also if it is your family that made the association maybe they simply want to find a Jewish connection in what you do because you are Jewish, and for that matter you could probably name your child [name_f]Sun[/name_f] and they would find the connection they want.

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] is the opposite of biblical sounding, it’s nordic mythology, so don’t wirry about them

Uh, no. What a bizarre thing for people to say. [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is 100% Norse.

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] definitely doesn’t seem Biblical/Hebrew. It very much sounds like an anglicised Scandinavian name to me.

Definitely not! [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is all Scandi/British upper class to me.

I’m also Jewish and have been having a similar conversation with my pregnant (Jewish) friend recently about how ‘Jewish’ her and her husband’s name choices are and if they’ll give the baby too much of a label/obvious identified - they ruled out anything with the ‘Ch’ sound - although her husband is still pushing for [name_f]Nechama[/name_f] :stuck_out_tongue: I’d also want to avoid names that are seen as a little too Jewish just to avoid that easy association, but I think you’re totally safe with [name_f]Freya[/name_f]!