Friend with Baby Hailey. Can I name my baby something similar?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all

I really like (possibly love) the name [name_f]Hallie[/name_f] for a girl but my very close friend, who I talk to all the time, has a baby [name_f]Hailey[/name_f]. My whole family knows who baby [name_f]Hailey[/name_f] is. Thoughts on naming my baby [name_f]Hallie[/name_f]?

Thanks!

I’m a strong believer of “name the baby whatever the heck you want”, obviously within reason. As this [name_f]Hailey[/name_f] is not your sister or your niece, I think you’re fine. I would only veto a name if someone like my sister or sister-in-law wanted to use it, or if this [name_f]Hailey[/name_f] was to be your [name_f]Hallie[/name_f]'s cousin. I hope this makes sense.

I think it’s fine. Maybe ask your friend how she feels about it? If anything the two girls (especially if they are close in age) might like having similar names.

I don’t think it would be a big deal. If you’re concerned, talk to your friend about it and see what her thoughts are on the situation.

When we had our first daughter, our shortlist was [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Paige[/name_f]. All of our friends knew of our options. We ended up going with [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]. Three years later, both myself and a friend were pregnant with girls at the same time. They emailed to ask us if we were still interested in [name_f]Paige[/name_f], as they were considering using it themselves. I thought that was really thoughtful of them (we told them we were considering the name still and although it wouldn’t bother us if they also chose to use the name, they decided to drop it).

I don’t see a problem. I’d talk with her about your plans to use [name_f]Hallie[/name_f] before you just announce it to the world to make sure that she is comfortable with it, but go ahead and use the name you love.

Ask her. But if I’m in your friend’s shoes, I wouldn’t like it. But if I chose something popular, like [name_f]Hailey[/name_f], I would be stupid to complain or to be angry (I’m planning to chose rare names, that’s why I wouldn’t like it).

thanks for the input!

If I were your friend, I’d be bothered. You said you see her all the time and talk to her a lot and even your family knows baby [name_f]Hailey[/name_f]. [name_f]Hailey[/name_f] is no longer a name, it’s a little person. It’ll be confusing for you both and for anyone who knows you both. I definitely agree with asking her before just going ahead and using it. I’ve known two people who have ruined friendships by doing that.

If [name_f]Hailey[/name_f]'s mom has been your best friend for 25 years, or you see her on a weekly basis and her daughter is close in age to yours, I might reconsider.

If she’s someone you work with, or a neighbor you spend time with once a month, or a FB friend you see a few times a year, I wouldnt think twice about using [name_f]Hallie[/name_f].

If your whole family knows who baby [name_f]Hailey[/name_f] is and you see her and this friend all of the time, I’d suggest that you keep looking. If you find during your search that no matter how hard you try to find alternatives, you keep coming back to [name_f]Hallie[/name_f], then run it by your friend - she might think it would be sweet for the girls to have such similar names, or she might really dislike it. Also give some thought to how you feel about it yourself - you know this friend and you know your relationship. Some people might interpret it as a lovely bond; others might interpret it as a complete coincidence, and others might think you were “copying” your friend.

You might also like [name_f]Callie[/name_f], which I’d say would still be too similar if she was going to have a sister named [name_f]Hailey[/name_f] but not too similar in your situation.

Completely different name. I say use it!

Run it by your friend. Your friendship is more important than a name. I don’t know how I would feel, it depends on how often you see her, etc. But kids sometimes love having similar names with their friends. When I was little, my best friend and I shared a name. My new BFF and her childhood best friend also shared a name. I think [name_f]Hallie[/name_f] is very sweet btw.

I would suggest talking to your friend about it. [name_f]Hallie[/name_f] and [name_f]Hailey[/name_f] are similar enough for your friend to be irritated.

I think it would be perfectly fine. I love [name_f]Hallie[/name_f] by the way!