Fritz or Freddie or...?

My grandfather’s name was [name_m]Fritz[/name_m], which he changed to [name_m]Fred[/name_m] when he came to the States as a Holocaust refugee. I’ve been really warming to [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] as a fn for a boy. [name_m]Fred[/name_m] and [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] I don’t care for, but I can see the appeal of [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], especially as a nn for [name_m]Fritz[/name_m].

Which do you prefer: [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] or [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]? Or [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] with [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] as a nn?

TIA!

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] but I think [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] would be cute. [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] nn [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] works :smiley:

Hi!

I’ll be honest, I don’t really like [name_m]Fritz[/name_m]. I just automatically think of ritz (wouldn’t be that much of a problem) and then Fritzl (much bigger problem). I don’t think [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] really works as a nn for it.

I don’t really care for [name_m]Fred[/name_m] either, but I like [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] a lot. If you dislike [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] I’d probably just go with [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]?

1 Like

Fritz & [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] are both great! I would go with [name_m]Fritz[/name_m], though without a nn. It’s so cool and unexpected, and I honestly think a nn would take away from that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]!

1 Like

I prefer [name_m]Fritz[/name_m], and like @elanorelle I’d leave it there (or possibly nn [name_m]Fitz[/name_m]). I know [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] and [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] are related, but it’s not the most intuitive nickname and [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] lacks the pizzazz of [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] for me.

(Disclaimer: [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] is incredibly popular at the moment where I live, so that might be skewing my view of these names a little.)

1 Like

I think Fritz is so cute! I think you could use Freddie as a nickname, but it is not the most intuitive. Would Wilfred or Winifred appeal as routes to Freddie?

1 Like

I prefer [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] for its uniqueness and it’s meaning for you, although I still love [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]! I don’t see [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] as a super obvious nickname for [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] but maybe it can be a family nn!

1 Like

[name_m]Fritz[/name_m] is wonderful! [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] seems a bit too nickname-y to be a full name.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Frederic[/name_m], [name_m]Fritz[/name_m], [name_m]Franz[/name_m], and [name_u]Freddie[/name_u].

But I prefer [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] as a nn. It would suit some males perfectly, but others would wish they had a more formal first, at least at times.

Fritz is so fun and has a cool edge to it.

I love [name_m]Fritz[/name_m]! [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] is cute too.

Fritz, then have a nickname or make [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] a nickname for something else.

Fritz is so cool! I prefer it without a nickname, it’s well enough on its own (and I don’t care about [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]).

I definitely prefer [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] to [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], [name_m]Fred[/name_m], or [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], but I like [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] as a nickname to [name_m]Fritz[/name_m].

Fritz is fresh and fun, for sure. Made all the more wonderful by honouring your grandfather. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it.

Personally, while I like both names, I would only use [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] as a nickname for [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], and not on it’s own. That’s my personal style. [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] is a totally useable nickname for [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] if that’s your preference, but [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] stands well enough on his own.