From a top 10, to a top 5, to a top pick!

Hi, we’re back for a (hopefully) last round on a name for our baby boy who will join us in a little over 5 weeks. His sister is [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], and we have currently narrowed our list down to a top 5 of names:

• Nicholas ‘[name_u]Nick[/name_u]’
  • Samuel ‘[name_u]Sam[/name_u]’
  • Sebastian ‘[name_m]Seb[/name_m]’
  • Thomas ‘[name_m]Tom[/name_m]’
  • Oliver ‘[name_u]Olly[/name_u]’

As you can see, we have an obvious taste. We don’t need anymore suggestions as of now and we agreed to try to eliminate one name per week. We loved the thoughtful and supported responses we got to our previous post, so we’re asking for your inquiries again.

Which name should we eliminate first, and why? (can be any reason, potential clashes we haven’t thought of, sounds/associations you don’t think work, etc.)

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I would eliminate [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] first. I like the name just not how it sounds with [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] due to the short a vowel in the same syllable. It’s not rhyming but sort of rhymey if that makes sense. It’s by no means a bad choice though. [name_m]Just[/name_m] the first I would eliminate.

I think I would eliminate [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] first. [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] and [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] together feel very biblical, where as the other names with [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] feel more classic.

Sebastian works best with [name_f]Hannah[/name_f].

I would eliminate [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]. While [name_u]Olly[/name_u] is cute, I just think of the word “liver” when I see [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]. It’s also so popular.

[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] because the Biblical connection between the two is too strong, imho. ([name_m]Samuel[/name_m] was [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]'s son.)

The name I would eliminate first is [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]. Personally I’ve never been a fan of [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] it doesn’t sound attractive and I’m not keen on [name_u]Nick[/name_u] either so I would ditch that one.

Good luck

1 Like

I would take out [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] first. It’s a lovely name. But for me, if you are saying [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] and [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] together it doesn’t sound quite right. Probably for a very similar reason to what @Kittylitter said.

1 Like

Nicholas is my least favourite from your list. It just seems a lot more dated than the rest - very tied to 80s-2000s to me.

Although, I actually might take out Samuel just because it’d be a little awkward for me that Hannah was Samuel’s mother in the Bible. Not really an issue, just a personal preference that I’d avoid it since there’s such a direct connection there.

I would drop [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] for the reasons that everyone else has said. The biblical connection is a little weird.

I love [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]! [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] are amazing as well.
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] is my least favorite for no specific reason, I just don’t love it.

I would get rid of [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]. It’s too modern and posh next to humble and down to earth [name_f]Hannah[/name_f].

I think I’d drop [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] (feels a bit more dated than your other options) or [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] (feels a bit too current and/or grand).

Thomas, [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] or [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] would all be lovely. I think sweet, solid, down-to-earth [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] “[name_m]Tom[/name_m]” is my favourite with [name_f]Hannah[/name_f].

I think [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] is a great fit. Yes, he was [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]’s son in the Bible, but I think it’s a neat tie-in.

1 Like

I’d eliminate [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] first. It feels a bit older than [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] to me.

I would eliminate [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] first as I just don’t particularly like it with [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]. [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] is my favourite :heart:

I’d eliminate [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] as they share the same a sound - they clash a bit when I say them.

I’d eliminate [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] and use [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] (second choice would be [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]).

I loveee all of these names and think you guys have such a classic and beautiful taste! It would be so hard to pick and narrowing them down.

I would probably chop [name_m]Oliver[/name_m].

1. It is fairly popular where I live. I know at least 10 under the age of 5.
  2. Liver

I love [name_u]Olly[/name_u] so this pains me but this is the one I would let go!

I love [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]!

I would probably elminate [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m].