From Dad: Is Astron Arion too much?

My girlfriend and I are expecting in the begining of 2014. I am a total nerd, and while she is down with the nerdy, she doesnt necessarily want something too much nerd.

She already axed [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m], and [name_u]Orion[/name_u]. So instead I decided to play with some others.
I came up with Astron as a play with ASTRO (similar to [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]) + [name_u]Ashton[/name_u]/[name_m]Aston[/name_m] (to keep it sounding like a name).
I also still love [name_u]Orion[/name_u], but instead went with the alliteration and made it original as Arion.
Last name is also an A name, Avila.

as•tron a•ri•on
[as-truhn] [uh-ryan]

It still has the spacy feel. Yet it is creative and original since I made it up.
So what do you think, is Astron Arion Avila too much? and why…

Thanks!

[name_m]Joe[/name_m]-Daddy

Interesting…the problems are: any name w/the ‘Ass- sound’ as the first syllable will lead to merciless teasing, and Arion is a bit close to [name_m]Aryan[/name_m] which is associated with the [name_m]Aryan[/name_m] Nation (but it’s a middle name, so you could get by with it). [name_f]May[/name_f] I suggest Ariston–an ancient Greek name of an impoverished poet/scholar, a Spartan king, and other early notables? It pairs nicely w/[name_m]Calisto[/name_m], a moon of [name_m]Jupiter[/name_m], if I’m not mistaken. Ariston [name_m]Calisto[/name_m] Avila sounds nice.

I thought about the ASS sound and just ASSumed that guys named [name_u]Ashton[/name_u], [name_m]Aston[/name_m], [name_m]Auston[/name_m] etc are getting away with it. But it is something to consider.

When reading Arion, it almost looks like [name_m]Aryan[/name_m]. Well if we use it, it’s the middle and sounds like [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-[name_u]Ryan[/name_u]. Plus we are a three times mixed couple (Hispanic/black/white). Hopefully they dont connect it with nazis. Lol.

I do like Ariston! and it does go well with [name_m]Calisto[/name_m] or even Castillo.

Thanks much rkrd

Astron sounds like a short form of Asterion (two Greek kings bore this name, one the father of Minos), Arion (A-ree-uhn) is the name of a poet and cithara player in Ancient Greece.

For me the three a’s and very repeating sounds are too much. And since you’re asking I’m pretty sure you feel that way too ;). But I like both names (and you’ve got a gorgeous surname!). Good luck!

If you’re looking for a space-feel, you could consider:

[name_m]Galileo[/name_m]
[name_m]Altair[/name_m]
[name_m]Nash[/name_m]
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_m]Sirius[/name_m]

Arion looks to me to be pronounced “ARE-ee-on” or “[name_m]Aryan[/name_m]”, so I’d stick with [name_u]Orion[/name_u] if that’s the sound you want.

People differ on alliteration; i happen to be one of the people who dislikes it.

As it stands, i don’t think Astron Arion is the worst name you could possibly give him, but i also don’t think its a very good name.

If the space theme is what you’re going for, there are tons of ideas here on nameberry. Several members here could suggest lists ten times as long as what I’ve suggested. If you get stuck, make a new thread asking for space/astronomy names.

Good luck, and congrats on your son!

I don’t like his initials being AAA, but I can’t seem to put my finger on it. It’d be like a WWW thing. It would be better to break that pattern by [name_f]AVA[/name_f] or a [name_u]AZA[/name_u]. Maybe a ZAA or VAA. AAA seems a bit forced.
I was just thinking about the name Aurian. I like how it sounds like [name_u]Orion[/name_u] without going there and reminds me of the latin Aurius. Plus… it’s shorter than the ever so fancy Arelien.
I’m not keen on ASStron (he’ll get bullied and you know it!). He’ll be too easy a target which would be cruel. [name_m]Aston[/name_m] or [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] as a second name would be much better.
My ex-boyfriend was a huge geek and he liked [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] ([name_m]Arthur[/name_m] Dent, Hitchhikers Guide to the [name_f]Galaxy[/name_f]) and Turin (Turin from the Silmarillion) and Door and [name_f]Coraline[/name_f] (some [name_u]Neil[/name_u] Gaiman book) and [name_f]Juno[/name_f] (after the Greek goddess). You sure you’re having a boy?
My current boy is somewhat of a game nerd and we both like [name_m]Link[/name_m] and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f].
Avila is great. Obviously you can’t change that :wink: I like the V sound of it. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like the name [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]? Or [name_u]Nev[/name_u]?

I don’t think nerdy comes into play here. I like nerdy. This is just way out there. I don’t like the alliteration. It sounds all jumbled. I agree that there are some fantastic space names to choose from. I would keep looking.

AAA initials may be too hard to bear, yeah.

Watches this thread with interest

I like [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]'s suggestion of Asterion which apparently means “starry” or “ruler of the stars”. I don’t care for Arion.

You could go with something like [name_m]Luke[/name_m] or [name_u]Owen[/name_u], both from the original [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars and very conventional.

Boy names meaning “star” ( or morning star, evening star, ocean star, or similar):
[name_m]Stellan[/name_m]
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u]
[name_m]Astin[/name_m]
[name_m]Mario[/name_m], [name_m]Marius[/name_m] (male versions of [name_f]Mary[/name_f])
[name_m]Tarek[/name_m], [name_m]Tariq[/name_m]
Antares
[name_m]Hesperos[/name_m]
Or [name_m]Celio[/name_m] (from the heavens)
A list of angel / heavenly being names that might be inspirational:
Angel Names: 25 heavenly names for your little cherub – Baby Name Blog - Nameberry

You could go with something like [name_m]Luke[/name_m] or [name_u]Owen[/name_u], both from the original [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars and very conventional.

Boy names meaning “star” ( or morning star, evening star, ocean star, or similar):
[name_m]Stellan[/name_m]
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u]
[name_m]Astin[/name_m]
[name_m]Mario[/name_m], [name_m]Marius[/name_m] (male versions of [name_f]Mary[/name_f])
[name_m]Tarek[/name_m], [name_m]Tariq[/name_m]
Antares
[name_m]Hesperos[/name_m]
Or [name_m]Celio[/name_m] (from the heavens)
A list of angel / heavenly being names that might be inspirational:
Angel Names: 25 heavenly names for your little cherub – Baby Name Blog - Nameberry

Arionwill rarely be pronounced [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-[name_u]Ryan[/name_u]. So I’m a no vote on that. But I think you can get away with the first name, but I’d change the middle to [name_u]Orion[/name_u] like your original suggestion. The you Void also the AAA issue. Good luck!

Ass-tron? Please don’t. Arion looks/sounds too much like [name_m]Aryan[/name_m], so I would stick to [name_u]Orion[/name_u].

Sorry, but I don’t like the names themselves or the AAA. Also, I don’t care for names that are “made up” as you say they are in your post. I love nerdy, but I’d consider researching names that have a “sciencey” meaning or are character names in some of your favorite books, etc. Good luck!

I love Arion, but Astron sounds like a comix book (Asterix…) or a brand of robotic toys from the '60’s or something.

Would you like [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m]? Oren? August? Olin? Alain? Adrian? Arram? Ansel?

I agree, use [name_u]Orion[/name_u]. I know one and it’s a very neat name.

The triple A alliteration is too much. Also a child’s who’s name starts with ASS will be teased, end of story.

I recommend using [name_u]Orion[/name_u], [name_m]Tarek[/name_m], Asterion (as a second name), Ariston, [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] or [name_m]Calisto[/name_m]

[name_m]Tarek[/name_m] Asterion Avila
Ariston [name_m]Tarek[/name_m] Avila
[name_m]Calisto[/name_m] [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] Avila

[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] is wise, and I agree that your surname is pretty sweet. As for the first names, for me the alliteration, made-up factor, and harsh ass-sound are all too much. I like the nerdy thing though.

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_m]Galileo[/name_m] Asterion Avila? [name_u]Orion[/name_u] Copernicus Avila? :smiley: Ohh that one is fun. [name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] Avila? (I know [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] isn’t very space-y, but he’s beloved among nerds, and I’ve always thought he had a pretty awesome name.)

Please post more as events unfold!

I honestly think this is way to much! Astron Arion Avila sounds downright silly, so much A, all made up!

Personally I think Astro is a great boy’s name, adventurous with the space connotations you like, plus ASTRO BOY! Astron on the other hand sounds made up and not very pleasant to the ear. Arion is okay, but needs to be paired with a non A name, preferable as a middle, reminds me a bit too much of the ‘aryan race’.

BASICALLY
Astro - AWESOME
Astron - noooo
Arion - Middle, not another A!
Astron Arion Avila - please don’t.

I agree with [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] and [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] as other good space names :slight_smile: