From ____ to _____ How you got there

[name]Just[/name] curious if anyone has any interesting stories of how a person ended up with a “real” name nickname that isn’t directly related to any of their given names.I
I’m not talking about [name]Carrie[/name] from [name]Caroline[/name] or generic nicknames like Sweetie, Monkey. Or being called by a middle name like [name]Mary[/name] [name]Alice[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] being called [name]Ali[/name]. Or [name]Michael[/name] [name]Reese[/name] Holmvig being called [name]Homer[/name] (from the last name)

For Example:
My SO’s younger daughter is named [name]Faith[/name] [name]Lynn[/name] and we sometimes call her Tater or [name]Tate[/name]. It evolved from her being called by her very young aunt, Faithy, then Faiter,then Faiter-Tater to just Tater or [name]Tate[/name]. So, [name]Faith[/name]---->[name]Tate[/name]

Another Example:
My sister is [name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Michaela[/name]. [name]Vanessa[/name] was more often called [name]Nessa[/name] at home when not in trouble :wink: . [name]Nessa[/name] went to [name]Nessa[/name]-[name]Tessa[/name] and then [name]Van[/name]-[name]Tessa[/name] and then just [name]Tessa[/name]. So, [name]Vanessa[/name]—>[name]Tessa[/name]. Not as far off as [name]Faith[/name] to [name]Tate[/name] in my opinion but you get the idea I hope.

I was just wondering if there were other stories of how two seemingly unrelated names were both used to refer to the same person.

In high school I made a new friend who, upon learning my name, declared that it was “too long” and promptly gave me a new nickname derived from the middle of my name. I became “[name]Liz[/name]” from [name]Melissa[/name]… a very welcome nickname considering I never cared for “[name]Missy[/name],” “[name]Mel[/name],” or “[name]Lissa[/name].” To this day I still am tempted to look when I hear someone call out “[name]Liz[/name]!”

I like it! I think I went to high school with about a million [name]Melissa[/name]'s, ok maybe not a million, but you get the idea! :lol: I would never have NNmed any of those [name]Melissa[/name]'s—> [name]Liz[/name]. That’s pretty sweet.

My name is [name]Stefanie[/name]. Growing up, my brother and uncle called me [name]Nina[/name] or Ne; we also called my uncle [name]Steven[/name] Ne. This happened b/c one night when we were both little, my mom said “good night Stefanina” and my brother heard it and started calling me [name]Nina[/name]. By the time I was a teenager, it had gotten shortened to Ne and since my uncle’s name was fairly similar, we started calling him Ne as well.

More recently, my partner and I started calling each other Squishy as our primary nicknames (she almost never uses my given name with me at this point; I only use hers when we’re out in public) from the movie “Finding [name]Nemo[/name]” when [name]Dory[/name] finds the tiny baby jellyfish and says she’ll love it and squeeze it and call it Squishy. We watched it together (me for the first time) about a year after we met and we just turned to each other and knew it was right; its stuck for 4 years or so now.

[name]Lucky[/name] me I have 2 of those strange nicknames. My name is [name]Grace[/name] and I sometimes go by [name]Gracie[/name]. When I was younger my dad called me his [name]Gracie[/name] Girl, which got shortened to [name]Gigi[/name]. My older sister and I used to play [name]Mario[/name] alot, and she deemed [name]Luigi[/name] to be cooler than [name]Mario[/name], so I became [name]Gigi[/name] [name]Luigi[/name].
Of course at school no one calls me [name]Gigi[/name], and most of the time I prefer to be just [name]Grace[/name]. Some people called me [name]Gracie[/name], and I remember once at lunch someone came up with [name]Gracie[/name] Pooh. Eventually I just became Pooh.
So basicly:
[name]Grace[/name]---->[name]Gigi[/name] [name]Luigi[/name] [name]Grace[/name]----->Pooh

I coached a [name]Grace[/name]/[name]Gracie[/name] and for some reason I added [name]Lou[/name] onto the end of [name]Gracie[/name]. I did this with a lot of the kids- it was fun and it helped destress a lot of situations but for some reason [name]Gracie[/name] [name]Lou[/name] stuck and I always called her that. the ooooouuuuu sound must just work with [name]Grace[/name] especially well. :slight_smile:

Another girl I coached went by Poohy (Poo hIE) For the first six months of knowing her I did not know her real name! I only saw her once a week, turns out her name is [name]Alexys[/name](yes spelled like that) and i think the NN had something to do with [name]Winnie[/name] the Pooh she 's in grade school still. [name]Alexys[/name]---->Poohy

I coached a [name]Grace[/name]/[name]Gracie[/name] and for some reason I added [name]Lou[/name] onto the end of [name]Gracie[/name]. I did this with a lot of the kids- it was fun and it helped destress a lot of situations but for some reason [name]Gracie[/name] [name]Lou[/name] stuck and I always called her that. the ooooouuuuu sound must just work with [name]Grace[/name] especially well. :slight_smile:

Another girl I coached went by Poohy (Poo hIE) For the first six months of knowing her I did not know her real name! I only saw her once a week, turns out her name is [name]Alexys[/name](yes spelled like that) and i think the NN had something to do with [name]Winnie[/name] the Pooh she 's in grade school still. [name]Alexys[/name]---->Poohy

I met some of my friends online back in late 2000. For the longest time we just talked online, but decided to meet up in mid 2003. I went by the name [name]Saffron[/name] online, and at the time they didn’t know my real name. ([name]Natalie[/name]) They kept calling me [name]Saffron[/name], but a few get-togethers later, [name]Saffron[/name] soon evolved to “Saffy” or “Saff”. To this day, I get called either [name]Saffron[/name], Saffy, or Saff in real life by them or my brother. (he almost exclusively refers to me as Saff, and I answer to those names, or even ones that sound similar and I happen to mishear)

My dad has a sister and brother named [name]Kim[/name] and [name]Tim[/name] who they always called Kimbo and Timbo, so he started calling my brother ([name]Ryan[/name]) [name]Ryan[/name] [name]Bo[/name] when he was a kid and it stuck. [name]Ryan[/name] [name]Bo[/name] became [name]BoBo[/name] [name]Man[/name] and sometimes just [name]Bo[/name].