Frontier Setting - Suggestions and Opinions

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! I’ve been lurking the site for a while and finally decided to sign up today. English is my second language, so please excuse any mistakes. :slight_smile:

As the title suggest, I’m looking for a mix of suggestions and opinions regarding some names for a story I’m plotting. To begin with, the setting is the American Frontier, although more like Disney’s Frontierland than the actual historical setting. What I have in mind is a fairly straight-foreward coming-of-age story about a young man who rises up to hunt down and put a stop to a paranormal force which is terrorizing his community. Now then:

1. The main character is in his late teens to early twenties and uncertain of what to do with himself. He doesn’t like taking advice from others, especially not about something as important as his future, and he’s stubborn as a mule. He also works like a mule, though. Once he sets to a task, he’s loath to leave it unfinished, even if it’s just to stop for food. He’s very loyal and easily puts his trust into others, expecting them to do the same in turn. If he has reason to believe someone is upset or feels excluded, he’s always ready to offer a kind word or bring them into the group. I already know that his first name will be [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u], but I find myself torn regarding his last name. My main options right now and [name_u]Arden[/name_u] and [name_m]Irving[/name_m], but I don’t know that either feels quite right. Which do you prefer? What would you suggest that might fit him better?

2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think the names [name_u]Casey[/name_u] and [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] are too similar for a pair of brothers? I find myself fond of the name [name_u]Casey[/name_u] for [name_u]Cass[/name_u]’ younger brother, but I worry readers might get confused, especially since they’d be introduced roughly around the same time. I’ve asked some friends and family, and I’ve gotten fairly mixed results. What do you think? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any suggestions for a different name for him?

3. I’m looking for a name that might fit a mentor-type character for [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u]. This is a man in his mid-thirties to early forties, tall and broad and starting to go grey. He’s moody and reserved, closer to the trope of a “poor, lonesome cowboy” than anyone else in the story. He’s fairly strict as mentors go, and he rarely gives out praise to anyone, but when he does give praise, it’s warm and genuine and often a bit exaggerated. For him, I’m looking for a full name. Since he spends most of his “screentime” with [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u], I’d like for their names to sound good together. I’d also like some suggestions for his three daughters, although the number of daughter might decreaseduring development.

If you want to, feel free to suggest names with a Frontier/Western wibe for “NPCs”, too.

Thanks in advance!

• [name_u]Jo[/name_u]
  1. I like [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] for the Main Character. As for surnames, how about [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] [name_m]Turner[/name_m], [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] [name_u]Shea[/name_u], [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] [name_m]Locke[/name_m], [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] [name_m]Clark/name_m, [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] [name_m]Roman[/name_m], [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] [name_u]Sloan/name_u. I put the names together so it would be easier to sound it out together. Other suggestions if none of those work for you:

[name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_m]Hamilton[/name_m]
[name_m]Abraham[/name_m]
[name_u]Halley[/name_u]
[name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]
McGowan

1. Brothers named [name_u]Casey[/name_u] and [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] would be confusing for some people, I’d imagine, so I’d suggest you do change [name_u]Casey[/name_u] (though if you do decide to keep it, that’s fine. You could even build it into the story, such as having a character confuse the two brothers’ names). If you’re still looking for other names how about:

[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] “[name_m]Des[/name_m]”
[name_u]Cory[/name_u]/[name_u]Corey[/name_u]
[name_m]Joshua[/name_m] “[name_m]Josh[/name_m]”
[name_m]Brody[/name_m]
[name_u]Jesse[/name_u]
[name_m]Lorcan[/name_m]

1. For the mentor:

[name_m]Russell[/name_m] “[name_m]Russ[/name_m]”
[name_m]Ronald[/name_m] “[name_m]Ron[/name_m]”
[name_m]Craig[/name_m]
[name_u]Max[/name_u]
[name_m]Leander[/name_m]
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_u]Curtis[/name_u]
[name_m]Adam[/name_m]
[name_m]Harold[/name_m] “[name_m]Harry[/name_m]”
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] “[name_u]Nick[/name_u]/[name_u]Nicky[/name_u]”
[name_u]Joss[/name_u]

As for the daughters:

[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] “[name_f]Carrie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Judith[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]/ [name_f]Estella[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Phyllis[/name_f]

Other suggestions:

[name_f]Philomena[/name_f]
[name_u]Sidney[/name_u]/[name_u]Sydney[/name_u] (unisex)
[name_m]Melville[/name_m]
[name_m]Norton[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] “[name_u]Freddy[/name_u]/[name_u]Freddie[/name_u]”
[name_u]Dylan[/name_u]/ [name_u]Dillon[/name_u]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] “[name_m]Nate[/name_m]/ [name_u]Nat[/name_u]”
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] “[name_u]Chris[/name_u]”
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]/ [name_m]Harry[/name_m]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_m]David[/name_m]
[name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_u]Claude[/name_u] (unisex)
[name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Virginia[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]/ [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilma[/name_f]
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]/ [name_f]Gracie[/name_f]
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Milton[/name_m]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]
[name_m]Jack[/name_m]
[name_f]Bernice[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_m]Timothy[/name_m]
[name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_m]William[/name_m]
Windom
[name_m]Marvin[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Jacob[/name_m]
[name_u]Glenn[/name_u]
[name_m]Elbert[/name_m]
[name_m]Jefferson[/name_m]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] these help!

Thank you so much, weaverblue!

I really like [name_m]Clarke[/name_m] or [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] for [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u]'s last name. I love alitteration, so I’m probably going to go with [name_m]Clarke[/name_m].
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m], [name_u]Cory[/name_u], and [name_u]Jesse[/name_u] are all really appealing choices for the little brother; I don’t know how I’m going to choose, to be honest :slight_smile:

For the mentor, the name [name_u]Curtis[/name_u] immediately stands out to me as “the” name, but I also find myself really drawn to [name_m]Leander[/name_m]. I might very well combine them and call him [name_m]Leander[/name_m] [name_u]Curtis[/name_u]. As for his daughters, I really enjoy [name_f]Judith[/name_f], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f].

Thanks again for your suggestions! You’ve been a big help :slight_smile: