FTM looking for name help

Hey, I’m a trans guy looking for name ideas. I’ve been trying to find a good name for a while but it’s hard for me to find something that goes with my last name (rhymes with ‘[name_u]Finch[/name_u]’ starts with ‘[name_m]Ly[/name_m]’). I kind of like softer, but still masculine names.

Also, I’d like to avoid most names starting with ‘Co’ in order to get as far from my deadname as possible.

Some of the ones I’ve considered are:

• [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] (a favorite for many reasons, but probably too repetitive with my last name)
  • [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] (no-go because I have a friend named [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and that’d be weird)
  • [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]/Elliott/Eli (feels like a very common name for trans guys to pick)

The other problem is my middle name… I was named after my aunt and I want to keep that connection but I can’t find any masculine versions of ‘[name_f]Amanda[/name_f]’ that I’m happy with. [name_m]Even[/name_m] just a shared meaning, first letter, or similar sound might be nice so she doesn’t feel like I’m throwing away her legacy, if that makes any sense.

I’m very open to any suggestions for either first or middle, or both.

EDIT:
Ahh okay it actually looks like Lysander works then? :grin:
I’m so relieved people seem to like it. My sister made a comment about the alliteration before and didn’t seem to think it was a good idea but maybe I’ll just ignore her since it makes me happy.

As for a middle name, there have been some awesome suggestions and I’m not 100% sure yet but I’m leaning towards Amias because it’s really close in both sound and meaning so thank you for bringing it to my attention!

You’ve all picked out some great names that are definitely my taste. I think I’ll have to use some for characters :blush:

Thank you all so much for the help!

[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Evander[/name_m]
[name_m]Ethan[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
[name_u]Timothy[/name_u]
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Leon[/name_m]
[name_m]Judah[/name_m]
[name_m]Finnian[/name_m]
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]

1 Like

Hmm, maybe [name_m]Amias[/name_m] as a connection to [name_f]Amanda[/name_f]? Less alike but still sharing the A is [name_m]Aubin[/name_m]. Or [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m]/Alistair, [name_u]Amos[/name_u], or [name_u]Auden[/name_u]. Or perhaps, depending on your heritage and what kind of names you like, something like [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m], [name_m]Armando[/name_m], or Mandel.

I actually kinda like the alliteration with [name_m]Leander[/name_m], but if you’re not feeling it, here are some other suggestions.

Griffith
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m]
[name_m]Walden[/name_m]
[name_m]Julius[/name_m]
[name_m]Eamon[/name_m]
[name_m]Leander[/name_m]
[name_u]Florian[/name_u]
[name_m]Matthias[/name_m]
[name_m]Elio[/name_m]
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m]
[name_m]Ozias[/name_m]
[name_u]Noah[/name_u]
[name_u]Bodhi[/name_u]
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u]

And I definitely second @may.rose’s suggestion of [name_m]Evander[/name_m]. If you love [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] but not the alliteration, that seems like the perfect solution to me.

2 Likes

I don’t think [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] L. is too repetitive. [name_m]How[/name_m] often will someone refer to you by your first and last name? [name_m]Even[/name_m] so, I think it still works.

Other names:
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Armand[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Arnold[/name_m]

1 Like

For the middle you could find a name with a similar meaning to [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] or honor her with a name related to a favorite activity of hers/her birth month/etc.
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m] definitely works with your last name in my opinion.

1 Like

I LOVE [name_m]Lysander[/name_m]! It’s just brilliant. It’s also uncommon enough that you’re almost always going to be the only [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] in the room, so there wouldn’t be any need for your last name to be used. For firsts, these have the same ‘feel’ as [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] (to me at least!):
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m]
[name_m]Evander[/name_m]
[name_m]Fabian[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Ivo[/name_m]
[name_m]Matthias[/name_m]
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m]

As for middle names, these all have a similar meaning to [name_f]Amanda[/name_f]:
[name_u]Amor[/name_u]
[name_m]David[/name_m]
[name_m]Hart[/name_m]
[name_m]Jedidiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_u]Reese[/name_u]/Rhys

I also really like Calon. It’s not ‘technically’ a name, but it is the Welsh word for heart, and close enough to names like [name_u]Callum[/name_u] that it doesn’t look too out of place.

Good luck!

1 Like

Evander
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_u]Evan[/name_u]
[name_m]Elijah[/name_m]
[name_u]Jameson[/name_u]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]

Amanda…
[name_m]Amadeus[/name_m]
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_m]Anders[/name_m]
[name_u]Anderson[/name_u]

1 Like

If you have the last name I think you have (I am terrible at guessing), [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] Lastname is wonderful. I am all here for the alliteration!

Middle name could be [name_m]Armand[/name_m]?

1 Like